These are the best no bake granola bars! They’re chewy and filled with coconut and chocolate chips. They can be made dairy free as well!
Since the kids are back to school now I thought I’d share a staple at our house. I don’t make these as much during the summer because our house gets very hot and these granola bars tend to fall apart a little in the heat, but during the school year I always have some on hand. I always make a very large batch at a time, an entire baking sheet full, but for this recipe I scaled it down a little for you and only makes about 1/3 of a rimmed baking sheet. They keep amazingly in the cupboard for quite a while as well.
This recipe I originally found on Lauren’s Latest and have been making them ever since. Over the years I’ve been making these I’ve made a few changes that we really enjoy so I thought I’d share the recipe. First of all, I found the actual temperature to cook the sugar mixture to, since when I first started making these just by timing how long I was cooking the mixture they were hit and miss. I like my recipes to be exact. If you don’t mind winging it, follow the link over the original recipe and follow the instructions there. Second, I substitute a little bit of flaked coconut for some oats. Third, I sometimes even use coconut oil instead of the butter in the original recipe. You can, of course, use butter, but using coconut oil makes a delicious dairy free version(just make sure your chocolate chips are dairy free too!) Speaking of the chocolate chips, the original recipe uses mini chocolate chips, which I totally think would be better, but I don’t often have them so I just use regular chocolate chips and sprinkle them a little farther apart than I would with minis 🙂
Be warned, these are dangerously delicious! Hope you all enjoy!
- ¼ C coconut oil
- ¼ C honey
- ⅓ C brown sugar
- A pinch of fine sea salt
- 5 C rolled oats
- 1 C unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 C crispy rice cereal
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Chocolate chips to top
- Prep a rimmed baking sheet with a non-stick cooking spray(I prefer to use a misto which I just fill with oil). For this recipe you only need to spray half the pan.
- Add oil, honey, sugar and salt to a medium sized pot on the stove and warm over low to medium low heat until melted.
- While the ingredients on the stove are warming combine the rolled oats, coconut and cereal in a large bowl. Have chocolate chips ready.
- When the ingredients on the stove have melted stir together until the sugar is dissolved then increase the heat to medium or medium high heat and cook until 260℉. Once 260℉ remove from the heat and add the vanilla. The hot mixture will bubble up so stand back! Stir together then pour over the oat mixture.
- Stir together until everything is evenly coated then pour onto the prepared side of the baking pan. Spread out in ⅓ of the pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips as desired. Then take a soft spatula and firmly press down until the granola bars are tightly packed and smooth on top making sure they don't take up more than ⅓ of the baking sheet or they will be too thin.
- Place in the fridge and chill for 1 hour or until chilled all the way through. To remove from the pan simple turn upside down and press on the underside of the pan. The granola bars should come away easily. Cut into small granola bars and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry location.
More oats can replace the flaked coconut if desired.
If this recipe is tripled it will fit perfectly into a whole baking sheet and will make about 50 small bars.