Mashed Potato Pancakes

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 10, 2015

These delicious mashed potato pancakes are a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.  They can be flavored so many different ways, but we like them best just the way they are.

mashed-potato-pancakes-1

Here is another older recipe from Food Doodles, that needed bringing back.  I’m not saying these pictures are amazing, far from it actually, but they are 1354692x better than my old ones.  So I thought I’d repost the recipe to share with you.  If you haven’t made potato pancakes with mashed potatoes, now is the time.  They are delicious!  Just how my mama used to make 🙂

mashed-potato-pancakes-2

Now there are a couple different ways to make these.  I just mix the “batter” up in a bowl and scoop it onto a hot pan with a bit of butter on it.  You can however make the pancakes, dredge in a bit of flour and then fry in decent amount of oil.  As much as the latter method sounds delicious, I’m a fan of my simpler, probably slightly healthier way.  But now you now, and you can decide which way you prefer to do it 🙂  I’ve written down my simpler method in the recipe below!  Enjoy!

mashed-potato-pancakes-3

Mashed Potato Pancakes

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Yield: 8 pancakes
Ingredients
  • 2 C leftover mashed potatoes
  • 1 large egg
  • Half a bunch of green onions, chopped
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a bowl, stir together the mashed potatoes, egg, green onions, flour and salt and pepper to taste until completely combined.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add a little bit of butter to the pan, just enough to cover the whole surface.
  3. To the pan add large spoonfuls of the potato "batter" and smooth out with the back of the spoon till about a ½ inch thick
  4. Cook until golden on the bottom, then flip and cook until golden on the other side. Remove from the pan and top with sour cream and more green onions, or ketchup and serve.
Notes
The amount of flour needed will depend on the consistency of the potatoes to begin with. If needed add more flour till the batter is thick enough that you'll be able to flip it when it's on the pan.

mashed-potato-pancakes-4

1 Kathrina November 12, 2015 at 2:12 pm

These will be on the menu for the days after Thanksgiving when I’m looking to reinvent the leftovers. Thank you for sharing!
Kathrina recently posted..White Chocolate Cherry Pecan Popcorn- Popcorn Thursday #7

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:25 am

Yes, that was my thought too! 🙂 Thanks Kathrina!

3 Shiho November 12, 2015 at 2:35 pm

That pancakes look so cute and delicious. Perfect breakfast or snack. Thank you for sharing.
Shiho recently posted..Dessert Takoyaki: Nutella-Filled Pancake Pops

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:24 am

Thanks Shiho!

5 Erin @ Thanks for Cookin'! November 12, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Nice! I’ve always read the recipes that dredge in flour but that just seems like a little too much fuss for a dish that’s basically leftovers, you know? I’m happy to see a method that’s just like normal pancakes. And just in time for Turkey Day, too! Sweet!
Erin @ Thanks for Cookin’! recently posted..Sweet Potato Hash

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:24 am

Yes, I totally agree! Too much effort for me 🙂 Thanks for stopping in Erin!

7 Kathi @ laughing Spatula November 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm

My grandmother used to make these…oh how I have missed them! Delish!

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:23 am

Thank you so much Kathi! 🙂

9 AiPing | Curious Nut November 12, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I’m a sucker for anything mash potato-ish… especially leftovers made into pancakes! It would have been interesting to see your before and after picture! 🙂
AiPing | Curious Nut recently posted..Spicy Pumpkin Potato Croquettes

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:23 am

Mmm, me too. Love mashed potatoes! I actually left the original post up, if you’re curious 😀 Thanks so much AiPing!

11 Annie @ Annie's Noms November 13, 2015 at 3:18 am

Perfect brunch recipe! I love using leftover mash for pancakes, they look so delicious!
Annie @ Annie’s Noms recently posted..The Pretty Pintastic Party #80

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 13, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks so much Annie!

13 Christina November 13, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Great way to use up left overs! That’s my kind of recipe! Thanks for sharing!

14 Linda Roisum November 13, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I love mashed potato pancakes … a great reminder of what to do with those leftover mashed potatoes, especially as the holidays are fast approaching.
Linda Roisum recently posted..Grouper Matecumbe (30-minute meals)

15 Sophia @Veggies Don't Bite November 13, 2015 at 10:20 pm

I love these! Mashed potatoes as pancakes sound awesome!

16 Claudia | Gourmet Project November 14, 2015 at 8:29 am

gourmet brunch is coming! thanks for the recipe!
Claudia | Gourmet Project recently posted..basil homemade pasta