Honey Rhubarb Compote

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 9, 2011

I have to admit I just wrote two paragraphs on why this week has been stressful for me.  And then I thought, who would ever want to read that?  But regardless of the fact that I just hit backspace on the entire beginning of my post, I feel much better now.  Funny how writing everything out can help you to take a step back and see things in a different light.  Sometimes when things are down in writing they don’t seem so important and stressful and awful as they do before you put pen to paper(or fingers to keyboard?)  In any case I’m happy to say I’m feeling much better than I did ten minutes before nap time 🙂

This is another recipe made with local rhubarb(and local honey from last year) that I bought too much of and had to use up.  This recipe is so simple and so good.  I’m betting it would be especially delicious on  ice cream or swirled into yogurt, but for now we’ve just tried it on our dutch baby from yesterday and I made some especially yummy bars with this compote as a filling that I’ll post at another time.  This also freezes really well so don’t be afraid of making a lot as you can put it in the freezer(in small portion sizes if you want) to use another time.

As a part of the process of making this compote, I drained a lot of the liquid off as it doesn’t have any thickeners to hold it all together.  I made quite a lot of compote(and scaled back the recipe for anyone who wants to try it) so that’s why there’s a huge bowl of sweet and tangy rhubarb juice 😀  I’ve just been watering it down and letting the kids drink it, but I’m sure there must be better ideas for it.  What would you make with the juice?

1 Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Writing down all of our frustrations is a really good idea. I guess that is why lots of people keep diaries. You can just write it down then put it away. I love homemade compotes, this one sounds fabulous.
Kat @ Cupcake Kat recently posted..Gluten Free Date Squares with Lime and Cinnamon

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 10, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I used to keep a diary but I’ve fallen out of the habit. Kind of sad because it is really nice to just let it all out, especially when you’re not expecting anyone to read it.
Thank you! 😀

3 Jess@Healthy Exposures June 9, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This looks wonderful 🙂 I bet all that juice is awesome, too! I wonder if you could make some sort of muffin, pancake, waffle or other baked good, using that as the liquid? I bet it would be awesome!
And yes; sometimes just writing stuff down helps, I think! But don’t worry about being “boring.” I like personal posts, too! 😉 The weekend is just about here — I hope it goes smoother for you than the week has thus far.
Jess@Healthy Exposures recently posted..Without a Doubt…

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 10, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Mmm, that would be good. I love the taste of it, it’s so fruity 😀
Yay, I’m glad at least one person would have read it, haha. Seriously though, I’m pretty sure no one wants to read about potty training, LOL. Things are already going better than yesterday so thank you 😀

5 kristy June 10, 2011 at 8:05 am

Oh boy, isn’t this sounds delicious! I am so tempted to make some.
Thanks for sharing.
Kristy

6 Maris (In Good Taste) June 10, 2011 at 12:20 pm

This does look yummy!
Maris (In Good Taste) recently posted..Easy Entertaining- Red Lentil Hummus

7 Serena June 10, 2011 at 2:37 pm

OH DANG I love rhubarb and this compote looks to-die-for GOOD. <3
Serena recently posted..Subscribe today! –

8 Ashley June 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Looks great, how about thickening the juice with some cornstarch to make a syrup?

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Awesome idea! I wish I had thought of that. Maybe if I try it I’ll cook it down a little more to make the flavor even stronger. That would be amazing over pancakes or something 😀

10 kristy June 10, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Hi Heidi, I have some awards for you. Please feel free to hop over to collect it.
cheers, Kristy

11 Lisa June 10, 2011 at 6:48 pm

This recipe looks great!

I know what you mean about writing something and then feeling better—it’s like venting! I think verbal and written venting are both really helpful to me.
Lisa recently posted..Why Apple Cider Vinegar Plus an Energizing Drink and Cultured Veggies

12 VegSpinz June 10, 2011 at 7:40 pm

That looks so good- and easy to make- nice!
VegSpinz recently posted..DJ Party! Electrolux Are You Party Ready Event