Rhubarb Crumble Bars

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 10, 2011

Is talking about the weather boring?  It probably is, but oh well.  The last week or so hasn’t been very nice.  We had some really hot weather last weekend and we planned to take the kids to the park and let them play in the water but the park was too busy so we came home and the kids played with their auntie in a pool in the backyard.  It was great 😀

I grew up on the coast where it rained most days of the year so rain doesn’t bother me at all, in fact there’s nothing more cozy than being inside when it’s pouring out.  I do like it hot though as long as it’s not humid, and the valley we live in  gets fairly hot every summer.  I love snow and I usually like hail although I don’t like it very much when it slushes(you know, in between rain and snow).  But the weather forecast has been promising thunderstorms for a few days now and I’m really hoping it makes good tonight or tomorrow.  I love thunderstorms.  Or I’d take a sunny and hot day tomorrow, that would be cool too 😀

I made these bars with every intention of making something nutrigrain like, but honestly they tasted more like dessert to me.  So I reduced the sugar/maple syrup slightly and I like them better this way.  I think they would also be awesome with some walnuts sprinkled on top or even with different kinds of fruit fillings.  They also freeze really well so it’s nice to make a whole pan of them and then freeze them for when you really need them.

1 Rawkinmom June 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I would so eat rhubarb like this!!!!! 🙂
Rawkinmom recently posted..Pure Bars Review and Giveaway!!

2 Christine June 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats on your award!

3 Lisa June 11, 2011 at 4:49 am

These look great! I love rhubarb, but don’t use it very often…and definitely like to reduce the sweetness in my desserts too.
Lisa recently posted..Why Apple Cider Vinegar Plus an Energizing Drink and Cultured Veggies

4 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 12, 2011 at 6:03 am

These look delicious! I don’t love rain, but I do like a few rainy days that give me an excuse to stay home and bake:-)

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I need more excuses for those kinds of days too 😀

6 Harini Prakash June 12, 2011 at 11:23 am

Hey Heidi, thanks for visiting me:). The crumble looks delicious! I haven’t tasted rhubarbs yet. We don’t get them here. I liked the Icelandic brown bread recipe too. Will try it sometime!
Harini Prakash recently posted..Pear and plum cake with hazelnuts

7 Brenna June 18, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi Heidi,

I saw your comment on Oh She Glows and stopped by. These bars look great! I just got some more rhubarb yesterday and I think I will try making them. I also LOVE thunderstorms, they are just so exciting!

Brenna (fellow BC blogger)

consciousearthveg.blogspot.com

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 19, 2011 at 10:09 am

Hi Brenna! Thanks so much for stopping by!) It’s always nice to meet other bloggers that are from the same province 😀 Let me know if you do try the bars! You can always use other fruit too, I can’t wait to have more local fruit, but it’s been rather cold here so far this year 🙁

Yes I love thunderstorms too. Oh my goodness, we don’t get nearly enough of them for me 😀

9 Noelle June 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

This looks so delicious! I am going to have to make that compote soon!

{ 1 trackback }