One Bowl, All Natural, No-Bake Energy Bites

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 28, 2011

One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

I apologize in advance if you have a recipe just like this.  I’ve seen these kind of energy bites around for ever now and all the recipes are very similar so if this happens to be anyone else’s exact recipe, I’m sorry!  That being said, what I’m going to give you is more of a formula.  You see, I never make these the same.  The general amounts of things stay the same but the ingredients are always changing so I’ll tell you what are in these, but I’ll also give you my secret formula so you can make your own flavor combinations too One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

I originally got this idea from a blog that’s no longer up and running, probably 3 years ago.  A good friend of mine would come over to visit when we first moved into our house and we couldn’t keep our hands out of the freezer when there was a bag of these inside.  They are so good.  Sweet enough to be dessert but they’re quick and easy and a great source of energy.  Plus some healthy fats and a good amount of fiber to help keep you feeling energized and satisfied.

One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

They keep indefinitely in the freezer and I find them so much more addictive when they’re frozen almost solid.  But if you’d much rather be able to sink your teeth into them at a moments notice you can keep them in a sealed container in the fridge and I’m sure they’ll last quite a while.  Plus they’re much easier for kids to eat when they’re soft from the fridge.  If you are making them for kids I would recommend making them smaller than I did as they do begin to “melt” after a few minutes in warm little hands One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

For a chocolate option, go to my Chocolate Energy Bites recipe One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

One Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy BitesOne Bowl, All Natural, No Bake Energy Bites

1 Jess@Healthy Exposures June 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm

These look great! I’ve seen lots of energy bite/ball recipes, but nothing quite like this…though I hear you on the whole “this recipe is everywhere” thing! haha. I thought I was so clever with one of my more recent recipes and a google search led me to discover I’m a little late to the party ;) ah, well.
Like you, though, I love having a template for something and just being able to adjust it to what I have and what flavors I’m craving.

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Haha, that’s exactly what I mean. Although I know at least a couple of my readers don’t read too many blogs(yet!) so I don’t feel too bad about sharing something that’s been shared by a lot of other people.

3 Maris (In Good Taste) June 28, 2011 at 5:47 pm

They look addicitve! I would not be able to keep my hands off either!

4 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 28, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I really need to make these already! Your basic recipe looks perfect.

5 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Your pictures are amazing and making me want one of these right NOW! I wish I had a batch already made. :-) I love your formula!

6 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum June 29, 2011 at 5:18 am

YUM! These look delicious. I would probably add too many mix ins to make them healthy, but oh well. :)

7 Rawkinmom June 29, 2011 at 7:12 am

Yes, yes, yes!!! We make these…(not exact recipe) and I never make mine the same either….I usually use whatever I have in the house….I have even ground up gluten free organic graham crackers to make a flour that I used in the recipe!!! And adding vegan chocolate chips is always fun!!! :)

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 30, 2011 at 10:05 am

Mmm, those graham cracker crumbs sound awesome in there! I’m going to try that next time I have homemade graham crackers! Yummy :)

9 Pure2raw twins June 29, 2011 at 7:56 am

Look great. Love the name too – energy bites! I love making little balls or bite-size treats with ingredients I have on hand :)

10 Lee Anna Sedgwick July 8, 2011 at 9:48 am

I was reading your recipe and thought it sounded so yummy … so as I’m looking through to see what all I currently have on hand I got to the spice/spice combination part … I’m looking for suggestions of what you or any other readers might suggest. All I could think of off hand was cinnamon. What are your suggestions for spices/spice combinations?

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

You can absolutely use cinnamon. You don’t have to add any spices if you don’t want to but I especially like adding pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice is great too. Even if you just want to add a pinch or two of cinnamon(or if you like them, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, or maybe even a pinch of cayenne if you like heat or any other spices you like) that would taste great :D

12 Bethany Duarte July 9, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I made these today with lots of sea salt and nutella. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing :)

13 Megan Lady July 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Do you know approximately how many calories are in them? They look yummy!

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I’m sorry I don’t. There are a lot of variables in this recipe as well so if you do decide to make them you can google “recipe calorie calculator” to find a site that will calculate it for you and exactly for the recipe that you’ve made. I believe I’ve used one from spark people before. It’s very simple, just type in the amounts of each ingredient and the number of servings and it will tell you the exact calorie count.

15 melissa July 14, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I’ll tell you a place you can go to find out the calories to any recipe. You just have to put in the ingredients. Here:

16 mariah July 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

so given the ingredients and dividing it by 24 balls…it’s about 55 calories a ball…that’s pretty good!

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm

That’s awesome, thank you so much for figuring that out :D

18 Amy July 12, 2011 at 3:40 pm

What could be an alternative to the nut butters, as we have allergies at our house?

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm

You can use sunflower seed butter if no one is sensitive to that and if you enjoy the taste. I know if can be kind of bitter and not everyone enjoys it on it’s own, but you could also try tahini if no one is sensitive to sesame seeds. Also, if you can find it there’s also a nut butter substitute called SoyNut Butter made from soybeans.

20 jeannie July 13, 2011 at 12:37 pm

30 yrs. ago when my kids were little I made a similar treat we called energy candy. Differences were half and half molasses and honey for the sweet (these were really sweet) and I used a product i am not sure is still available called Protein Powder by Shaklee, also i added raisins my original recipie did not have the oats ….wish I had thought of that then.
Adding cinnamon would help take out the sugar spike in the body’s metabolism. I am thinking of grinding dried apricots in place of the honey and making this for my Grands.

21 mariah July 18, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Do you know of any sprouted recipes like this? Or any Energy bar variations? I’m going to try this one, thanks!

22 claire July 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm

These look so easy to make and yummy also. I think 5 out of my 6 children would eat these. My oldest does notlike nuts. I need to make some w/o just for him. thank you for sharing!

23 Toby July 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I live in a country where I cannot get old fashioned oats, only the quick cooking. Does anyone know if that will work? If not, what else could I use?

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Absolutely! The quick cooking oats will work just fine :) For something different you can really use any dry ingredient similar to oats like oat bran, wheat germ, any kind of ground up nuts, or even shredded coconut.

25 gina July 18, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Where do you live where you can’t get old fashioned oats and why?

26 Merrilee Stevenson July 19, 2011 at 6:17 am

This would also be a good way to use up leftover cereal–like the good 1/2 cup of shredded wheat that is inevitably at the bottom of the bag.

27 Tamara Harrison July 19, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thanks for this recipe! Will oat bran flour work in place of the coconut? It’s all I have in my pantry….I put in 1 cup, but I think it turned into too much dry ingredients..I’ll have to wait and see! It’s going in fridge now..! Thanks!

28 Tamara Harrison July 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

oh my goodness. These things are AWESOME. The eat bran flour works, I just had to keep my hands wet so they would stick together better. they are soo yummy. Now I have to make sure I don’t eat too many of them!!! Thanks for recipe, can’t wait for hubby to try them when he gets home!

29 Sarah July 19, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Any estimate of a calorie count?

30 Holly July 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Just whipped up a batch and they are chilling in the fridge.
I used sunflower seeds/ butter. Thanks for the great recipe!
P.S. Found you on MSM

31 me July 20, 2011 at 12:27 am

I can’t wait to make these!! Easy and faster than granola bars and way more fun!!

32 momeconomy July 21, 2011 at 12:28 am

I made these and my family is addicted!!! I have shared this link all over facebook. Thanks much!!!

33 Amanda July 23, 2011 at 9:17 am

These look like a great breakfast item for my husband and seem like they can freeze well! Excited to make them!

34 Amanda July 23, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Wow I just made these, they are amazing. I was picking at them (eating them) while balling. I added protein scoops to them for a little extra protein for after workouts! Thanks for the recipe.

35 Stacy July 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm

These look awesome! I’m trying to make some in hopes that they will be good car food. I added a teaspoon of cocoa powder instead of spices and they taste like a peanut butter cup!

36 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Mmm, that sounds delicious! We love taking them places so hopefully they’ll work well for you too – they travel to well and the kids always love them as a snack :)

37 Stacy July 23, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Just finished a batch. They taste great but they’re really crumbly. I’m hoping they firm up a bit in the freezer. Maybe they needed a bit more honey.

38 Kristen@TheFrugalGirl July 27, 2011 at 4:47 am

I made these and thought they were really good except that for me, 2 teaspoons of vanilla is waaay too much vanilla. I cut back to 1/2 teaspoon and liked these so much better that way.

Thanks for the recipe…I blogged about it today, actually!

39 Traci July 16, 2012 at 7:00 am

This is one of my favorite recipes. I eat them after a long run. (Or short one). They are my favorite pick me up after a hard workout. Little sweet and a lot delicious! :)
Traci recently posted..White Chocolate Peach Coffee Cake

40 Saree Rentals July 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

Way better for you than a red bull!

41 Kristen July 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

These were terrific! We made two batches of these already.

42 Lorissa August 12, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I made these today with crunchy peanut butter, chopped walnuts, porridge oats (old fashined oats, wheat germ and flax seed) with cocoa and cinnamon. Great breakfast and snack item!!!!!

43 Donna August 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Any idea how many grams of protein?

44 Karen September 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Hello,

I just made these, and they are wonderful. I am a runner by nature, and training for a marathon. Do you happen to know the protein count on the recipe and serving size? I guess what would be the easiest if you have the nutrition info.

45 GAB September 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

What would pumpkin taste like in there- maybe instead of the nut butter??? Or half nut butter and half pumpkin???

46 Char Weaver April 26, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I saw a recipe on Pinterest with pumpkin. Just FYI.

47 Pieper October 28, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I know the recipe doesn’t state chia seeds, but the pic looks like they might be in there. Are they? Also, I’ve heard chia seeds absorb a crazy amount of liquid and should be followed by big glasses of water. Have you also heard this?

48 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

I can’t remember what I added to this particular batch, but sometimes I add chia seeds or sometimes poppy seeds. Chia seeds do absorb quite a lot of water considering their size, but if you’re properly hydrating anyways eating a few of them mixed into something like this shouldn’t be a problem :)

49 Vanessa November 17, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Just made ‘em. I used 1/2 cup of walnuts and 1/4 cups of chocolate chips as my mix in and they turned out great!

50 Sheli January 21, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Soooooo good! I used chopped dates and ground up sunflower seeds. These are now my new favorites!!!!!

51 Holly February 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm

These are toooooo good! I’m so stoked to have these for on the go snacks for my kids! Do you happen to know the nutritional content? Thanks so much!

52 Natasha February 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Any idea how many calories per snack ball there are?

53 Diane March 1, 2013 at 12:59 am

I have made these many times, experimenting with different nuts and other add-ins while still maintaining a healthy snack. I’ve learned though that all those coarse “dry” ingredients (nuts, chocolate chips, rolled oats, etc) make it more difficult to shape into balls, so I’ve started patting the mixture out onto a shallow baking pan then cutting into bite-sized squares. Same great snack and cuts prep time significantly.

54 Rahul Sharma April 8, 2013 at 7:54 am

Yummy!!!

Heidi, You provided us really healthy and veggie food. In India, We call it as Ladoo, and I really like Ladoo.

I am going to try this recipe with my mom.

Thanks :)

Have a Nice day!
Rahul Sharma recently posted..Paracetamol 500mg Caplets(online only) – £0.50

55 Char Weaver April 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I bet a little almond flour would be tasty.

56 Amy Vander Linden August 14, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I used almond flour and it was a big hit in our house. Was my 1st time with recipe and hubby and kids love it.

57 Sally September 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

I used PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and they turned out wonderful! Totally cut the calorie way down too! Loved them!

58 Tanya January 15, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Can I use black strap molasses instead of honey?

59 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 17, 2014 at 10:32 am

If you really enjoy blackstrap molasses you can try it. I think it would work texture-wise but I’m not sure how good they will taste. Please let me know if you do try it!

60 Amanda January 25, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Mine are: soynut butter, molasses, oats, seed mix (flax meal, chia & watermelon kernel), craisins I got about 25 pieces & spent the time on nutrition facts, so I’ll share for your reference. Per piece:
Calories – 102
Fat – 5g
Protein – 3g
Sugar – 3g
Fiber – 8g
Looks like mine are pretty high in: Calcium, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium
Results will vary depending on ingredients.

2-4 would be plenty (if you can slow down long enough to not eat more, 3 was a fair meal replacement).

Had these made with honey yesterday so I had to try. But I’m almost out of honey, so molasses won. I called them Molasses Granola Bites, so as not to surprise my family. (Still didn’t pass with the teens). I like molasses in things, and these were great, but if you hate molasses don’t do it. Made this way they will definitely be part of my training.
Thank you for the formula.

61 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thank you for posting this Amanda! Yours sound delicious :)