Marinated Summer Squash Salad

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on September 1, 2011

Marinated Summer Squash SaladFirst of all, I wanted to start off by saying thank you to everyone for your support on my last post.  My posting has obviously slowed down a lot more than I thought it would, but again, I don’t plan to be gone for too long – although I’m sure it will still be a while yet.  Just one of a few “extras” on my plate lately, I can finally post about today though!

Today marks the start of my new column called The Locavore’s Cookbook, in our local paper!  Once a month I’ll be writing about one kind of local produce and what can be done with it among other interesting facts or tips and tricks to get your kids(or picky husbands) to like it.  I’ve been so excited to get started and now I’m so excited to pick something new to write about each month, especially with all the fall produce coming soon.  I have so many things I’d love to write about and so many recipes to share.  There really is so much variety just in our small town and I can’t wait to share recipes and ideas on how to use it all up.  On that note…

If you’ve followed me here from the column or newspaper website, welcome!  Thank you so much for visiting my site.  If you’d like to subscribe so that you don’t miss any of my posts you can subscribe in a feed reader using the rss button to the right near the top of the page.  You can also click the email button to get updates sent directly to your email.  Or you can “like” Food Doodles on Facebook using the Facebook button to see updates automatically in your news feed.

Marinated Summer Squash SaladLet’s get on with the recipe, shall we?  I’ll admit, I’m a little excited about this one.  If fact, I’m really proud of it.  I was very excited to try a way to eat summer squash that wasn’t super mushy, which is my biggest complaint about summer squash, and usually why I only put it in my baking.  When I first made this, I made a small batch just in case it wasn’t good at all.  I was super surprised to find that both kids and my husband loved it.  In fact my hubby has asked for it again, and again!  I’m pretty sure I remember him saying he hates zucchini and I don’t ever remember him eating it willingly but he really loved this salad.  I call that success!

I’m also excited because you can adapt this however you like.  Don’t like dill?  Use oregano, or basil, or thyme, or your favorite combination of fresh herbs.  Omit the cheese to make it vegan, or to just make it lighter.  You could even make it spicy with a fresh hot pepper, or even some dried red pepper flakes.  Instead of lemon, use your favorite vinegar, I’m sure a high quality apple cider vinegar or even balsamic vinegar would taste delicious.  Really, you can do anything with this idea.

Marinated Summer Squash Salad

Marinated Summer Squash Salad

1 athena September 1, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Congrats on the monthly column — how exciting!! And I understand the need to slow it down. I’ve had to as well and I’ve been doing this only a couple of months. Good luck and look forward to your next post :)

p.s. I’m not a salad fan but love zucchini. I could eat this dish! lol

2 Kathryn September 2, 2011 at 2:09 am

Congratulations on the newspaper column! What fantastic news!

This recipe looks awesome, I love the combination of veg and feta. Delicious.
Kathryn recently posted..vanilla whoopie pies with jam and cream

3 Angie@Angiesrecipes September 2, 2011 at 6:16 am

I am a huge salad fan! This looks so delicious and healthy!
Angie@Angiesrecipes recently posted..Herb Couscous Salad

4 sally September 2, 2011 at 6:47 am

Congrats on the newspaper column! That is so exciting!

This salad looks like an excellent way to use up squash and zucchini from bountiful garden plants.
sally recently posted..Chocolate Bison Cookies

5 Pure2raw twins September 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Congrats on the column that is great!!! and love this simple summer salad!!

6 Clarkie @ Beloved Green September 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I am with you on the summer squash becoming mushy being a bad thing. I always wait until the very end to add it to dishes so that it stays a little crisper. I like what you created here!

7 The Teenage Taste September 4, 2011 at 9:17 am

This salad looks delicious. I love the addition of crumbled feta! Mmmmm…
The Teenage Taste recently posted..My Seven Links!

8 Amy @ Gastronome Tart September 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Congrats on the column! That is so great! I can see why, this salad looks amazing!

9 Amy-Nutrition by Nature September 4, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Looks light and delicious, love all the ingredients in it. Congratulations on your column, that is fantastic!
Amy-Nutrition by Nature recently posted..“Run Forest, Run”

10 Rawkinmom September 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

congrats!!! That is exciting and great exposure!!! I also love this recipe…I never know what to do with squash but this looks really simple and delicious!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Review: Two Moms In the Raw

11 Bridget from Refined Vintage September 13, 2011 at 4:27 pm

This looks so delicious, I like the ingredient list, and options to change it up, that’s how I cook most of the time, no recipe. But I have to say I am liking quite a few of your recipes. I have found you through Pinterest and I am adding this one to my Pin board to save.

12 Sonia The Healthy Foodie September 13, 2011 at 8:12 pm

WOW! That’s awesome news Heidi! Huge congrats on the column. Wish I received your local paper here so that I could read it!

And that salad looks amazing. A definite must try. :)

Happy to read you again, btw. I was super excited when I got a new post by you in my inbox. :D I was afraid you’d just given up… glad to see it wasn’t the case at all!
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Cuba – The (not so short) Story and Chocolate Banana Protein Smoothie

13 Alexia @ NamasteYoga September 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

congrats on the column from me too ! the salad looks great- i always add lots of herbs to mine but havent had dill in a while.
Alexia @ NamasteYoga recently posted..What does Yoga mean to you?

14 kitchenriffs September 30, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Looks delish. I’m always on the lookout for new ways to use summer squash. Really like the idea that you can season it however you like – I’m always messing around with my seasonings! Thanks.