Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 25, 2011

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

I realize that most of what you see in this picture is cheese.  I may have been a little heavy handed with the cheese as I have been lately.   Oops.  Really, melty cheese on top of chili is so delicious, who can deny that?  I can honestly say it’s especially delicious now that I’m pregnant because I’ve never gone crazy for cheese until now.  But I have to be completely honest, I was so happy with this chili that I think I’d even eat it plain by itself.

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

You can’t tell me that looks bad all on it’s own.  Although I gotta admit it’s hard to photograph chili.  But then again a lot of the time I think whatever I’m taking pictures of is hard to photograph so I usually just don’t say anything at all.  Speaking of this chili, all on it’s own…  It’s actually better the next day.  So if you hate leftovers – I’m so sorry you’re missing out on the best part.  Give it a try a a day or two after making it – it’s so much tastier.  This also freezes well and makes quite a bit so don’t be afraid to throw some in the freezer in small enough portions so that when you have nothing else planned you can pull out some of this Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

Before I go any further, I have to tell you, you need a mild chili powder for this recipe.  So don’t freak out at the amount that’s in this recipe.  This chili does have a little bit of heat because it does have so much, but to me, chili needs a ton of chili powder.  You could  reduce the amount of chili powder, and feel free to add some hotter chili powders in the quantities that you want, but to me, this is how chili should taste :)  And I’m pretty picky about my chili.  Speaking of adding things you can also add some ground beef if you want, my husband even added some leftover steak to his bowl, so if you want to, go for it!  Just as long as you serve it with a big piece of cornbread Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

Vegetarian Quinoa Chili

1 Kathryn November 26, 2011 at 1:39 am

I agree, you definitely need lots of cheese on chili! This looks super delicious though even without it!
Kathryn recently posted..candied orange peel

2 Sonia The Healthy Foodie November 26, 2011 at 6:38 am

I am intrigued. This looks fantastic. I will have to give it a try, even though I know my daughter will kill me! Adding quinoa to chili? In her book, this probably qualifies as a sin. I don’t know why, she despises quinoa. Really, I wish she didn’t. I’d add some to just about everything. Which reminds me, I have to cook some today for tomorrow’s muffin recipe! And of course, I have to make some extra, so that I can throw some in this and that! Think it would work in smoothies? Hey, you’re pregnant, surely you’re with me on that one! ;)

Love your pics, Heidi. And there is no such thing as too much cheese! At least, not in picture! I will sometimes add a little more for the pictures, just because it looks better, and take some off after, because, well, I don’t want to eat all that cheese! But in this case? Pffft. It looks like it’s hardly a few grams of cheese. Go on and indulge, girlfriend! Eat your cheese! ;)
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Zucchini Carpaccio, Spaghetti Style

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Haha, I know that qualifies as a sin in a lot of peoples books :D It tastes delicious to me though! Does your daughter not like the taste? I know someone like that, but you can barely taste it in this. I do love quinoa though, and I’m sure I could put it in just about anything, especially right now!
Thank you so much for the compliment, it means a lot :D I guess it wasn’t really that much cheese, I just wanted to be able to show the texture of the chili more. I think a different bowl would have been better. Oh well, now I know for next time. I never knew I would learn so much from blogging!

4 Sonia The Healthy Foodie November 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

What the heck are you talking about? Your pictures are FANTASTIC! I love your choice of bowl, I would’ve never thought of using a large mug like that. I think it just works beautifully. It just makes me want to sit on the couch, all curled up in a little ball, with my little bowl of chili, while watching a great sitcom on TV or something. This is the ultimate in comfort food, my friend, it doesn’t get better than this. And we can see the chili, as well as its texture, plenty enough for me to want to dig right it. It just looks that good, I swear! I say you did a tremendous job on that shoot! Love it! :D
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Sweet Potato and Spinach Pizza

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 29, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Aw, your comments are always so encouraging :D That was actually what I had in mind when I put my chili in that bowl/mug, it’s almost weird to see that you thought of almost the exact same thing I did, lol! Thank you very much for the comment <3 You're so sweet!

6 Cookie and Kate November 26, 2011 at 10:43 am

Yum, that is my kind of chili! I love that you added quinoa and cocoa powder. My favorite veggie chili recipe also calls for cocoa powder.

7 surlykitchen November 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm

this looks and sounds so good. i love finding new ingredients using quinoa
surlykitchen recently posted..Thanksgiving

8 Baltic Maid November 26, 2011 at 6:39 pm

I love trying chili with new ingredients. I have made chili with wheat before, and it was great. Chili with quinoa sounds just as intriguing! Love it!!! Thanks for sharing!
Baltic Maid recently posted..Cranberry Frozen Yogurt

9 Amy @ Gastronome Tart November 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I love the healthy take on this chili. I will definitely be giving this a try!

10 Pretty. Good. Food. November 28, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Yummmm! Sounds delicious :)
Pretty. Good. Food. recently posted..French Onion Soup

11 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum November 28, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Looks delicious. I love vegetarian takes on classic meaty recipes.

12 vianney November 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm

This is exactly what ai need after a hefty dose of TDay plates, lol great recipe !!
vianney recently posted..Ultimate Nachos

13 Vegetarian November 29, 2011 at 9:02 am

yummy! sounds delicious! I am going to try this!

14 Rachel @ Bakerita December 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Mmm, quinoa in chili?! Can’t wait to try this.
I love seeing what other people’s “secret ingredient” for chili is…maple syrup?! Gotta try that one.
Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Pumpkin Butterscotch Chocolate Cookies

15 Nicole, RD December 7, 2011 at 8:40 am

I LOVE your blog…I wanted to get that out before I forgot!

And this chili looks FANTASTIC! All of that chili powder and protein=packed quinoa. SOLD!
Nicole, RD recently posted..Best Ever Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins

16 Sarah Sunflower December 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Do you think this recipe could be made in a slow-cooker?

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 10, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Absolutely! I’m not sure of the timing though, and you might want to saute the onions, garlic, celery and red pepper in the oil in a pan until mostly softened before throwing them in the crockpot with everything else.

18 Kara December 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

My sister and I made this today — it was fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 12, 2011 at 8:35 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a comment :D

20 Gosia December 17, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Oh, what an exciting recipe, I’ll have no choice now, but to make it for the bunch of friends that are visiting after the New Year’s. This dish should feed a crowd, shouldn’t it? Thank you so much for sharing. And yes, there never too little cheese on my chili, either!
Gosia recently posted..Change of Plans… Sigh!

21 La_rahh September 6, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hi Heidi!

I cooked this for dinner tonight but I made a few changes. I added in carrot and sweet potato. Didn’t have mild chilly so I used chilly powder and some ground cumin instead. For beans I put two cans of red kidney beans in and one can of pinto beans. Also I did not have any basil so I doubled the oregano. With all the changes it still turned out great! The chocolate powder added a really nice richness to it.

It made a huge serving and will probably will end up serving 10 I reckon. Thanks for taking the time to put the photos and recipe up! Cheers.

22 jenna October 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Is it really 1/2 CUP of mild chili powder?

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 9, 2012 at 3:55 pm

It is :) You can always start with less and taste as you go.

24 Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies November 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I’ve been looking for ways to eat quinoa..love this! I don’t like that grassy taste of quinoa and using it in chilli sounds perfect..lots of spices :)
Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies recently posted..Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts {An Edible Mosaic}

25 Christy Fantino July 5, 2013 at 11:44 am

Just made this chili… I have only been a vegetarian for about a year and chili used to be my fave. This is the first vegetarian chili recipe that I have tried (out of about 5) that has fulfilled my love of chili…very rich flavor. Kudos on the perfect combo of ingredients. One note…I wasn’t sure if you intended dry or fresh on the oregano and basil. I used dried and it turned out nicely…

26 WildcatAdvocate July 6, 2013 at 9:13 am

Top it with Daiya shredded “cheddar” and Tofutti or Galaxy sour “cream” and you have a wonderful vegan dish – and no animal suffered for a great meal! Thanks for the recipe!!

27 Caroline July 16, 2013 at 9:35 am

Made a huge batch of this and gave Mum and Dad some to take home. They loved it and rang today to ask for the recipe, always a good sign ;-)