Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 29, 2011

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

Am I the only one that feels sorry for gingerbread men?  I do love them once in a while, but sure, they aren’t the most exciting cookie ever, or the sweetest and often I think they get overlooked.  But they’re really a lot of fun, and compared to a lot of other cookies, they do actually have some nutritional value, just from the molasses alone.  I’ve been quite a bit more interested in the iron content of foods lately so I had to look it up.  It actually contains a ton of other important nutrients, but did you know blackstrap molasses contains about 3.5mg of iron per tablespoon?  That’s awesome!  And it makes a huge difference when combined with everything else in your regular diet.  I know I’m going to be looking for some more ways to add it to my diet, at least for now.

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

So yeah, gingie isn’t always the most exciting cookie, but he’s a lot of fun to decorate.  Although I almost immediately resorted to doing little laughing XD faces instead of regular smiles because most of them turned out a little “off”.  And then after getting bored we just filled in the rest with squiggles as you can see in the background.  I just used a very basic “recipe” for the icing using a tbsp or two of milk, a dash of vanilla and enough icing sugar to make a fairly stiff icing.  I even pipped it on with a ziploc bag with the corner cut off, so really, no special technology needed :)  It may take a while for the icing to dry though depending on how much icing sugar you add so be sure to test it before stacking your cookies up.

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

We had a few of these with some homemade(and 100% cooked) eggnog that you can see in the background, which I’ll post two variations of, hopefully later this week – a dairy and non dairy version.

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

Whole Wheat Gingerbread Men

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I can’t believe how perfect these look! I’m really excited you posted this recipe as gingerbread cookies are one of my all-time favorites. Boring? Ummm–I don’t think so! I actually have a gingerbread post coming up. But not cookies. :-) I’m saving this one and hopefully I’ll get a chance to make them before Baby gets here!
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Baked banana peanut butter oatmeal

2 pure2raw twins November 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm

love gingerbread cookies! well I love anything with ginger haha
making (and smelling) gingerbread cookies always makes me think of the holidays!! I need to make some here soon ;)
pure2raw twins recently posted..feeling

3 Kathryn November 30, 2011 at 2:06 am

I love love love gingerbread men, they’re one of my favourite treats! I also love your XD faces – so cute!
Kathryn recently posted..double chocolate pavlova

4 The Elegant Eggplant November 30, 2011 at 11:30 am

These are SO cute!! Love!
The Elegant Eggplant recently posted..Cabbage and Kale Soup with Farro and Pancetta

5 Carissa November 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I’ve been so hungry for gingerbread men lately and couldn’t find a recipe that I liked until this one. I can’t wait to make them!
Carissa recently posted..Cheezy Eggplant Bake

6 Liz @ iheartvegetables November 30, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Those are so cute! And probably tasty :)

I saw cookie cutters for “Ninjabread men” and I wanted them SO Bad!!! haha

7 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum November 30, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Cute! I need to make some gingerbread men this year since I just got a gingerbread cookie cutter!

8 Nicole @ Wonderful Joy Ahead November 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Your little guys caught my eye on Foodgawker, and then I saw it yours. I think I may just need to make these guys this season. I’m not a huge gingerbread fan, but it seems like one of those things that you just do because you should.
Nicole @ Wonderful Joy Ahead recently posted..Texas White Chicken Chili

9 Anna December 1, 2011 at 12:31 am

Wow! Thanks for the nutritional info. I actually love gingerbread men. I know it started when I was young but continued up until I became an adult. Probably because I like molasses too. Thanks for this post! The whole wheat version is fantastic. Will try this soon…
Anna recently posted..worldly wednesdays: pan dulce panettone a visit to argentina

10 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather December 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Oh I’m so glad you shared this now!!! I love gingerbread cookies! And im so glad you made them 100% whole wheat. Plus I’m all about getting my iron in my diet too. Weekend baking is happening! Wahoo!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..mexican pasta salad

11 Denise @ TLT December 2, 2011 at 6:35 am

Great idea to make them whole wheat. The concept of gingerbread men isn’t that popular here (yet), but I think they’re cute:)
Denise @ TLT recently posted..Carrot & Lentil Soup (that will get you through this winter!)

12 gina@gretchalina{food stories} December 3, 2011 at 10:18 pm

these little guys are so cute! didn’t make any last year! will def be on my list this year and with whole wheat to boot.
gina@gretchalina{food stories} recently posted..green and brown/half and half

13 Rawkinmom December 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm

These are so cute…I love them!!!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..I have been missing….

14 Eat Good 4 Life December 13, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Wow these are awesome….I was looking for a healthier gingerbread recipe to do with my kids for Christmas….I found it…thanks :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..The ultimate coconut chocolate chip cookie.

15 Joe December 13, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Can I use this same recipe to make a gingerbread house too? Will the gingerbread be firm enough for walls, roof, etc.?

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 13, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Yes! This recipe will work great for a gingerbread house! Just be sure to bake the pieces long enough, larger pieces may need to be baked longer.

17 lara December 18, 2011 at 1:44 pm

hi,

Thanks for putting up this recipe. In the description of what to do you, don’t say anywhere when to put the eggs in. I just guessed and put them in after I put in the baking soda so hopefully they will work out!

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm

You’re right! Sorry about that, I’ll add it in right now :)

19 lara December 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Heide! Oh and they worked out too! Go my educated guess! ahah Have a good holiday season!

20 Cheap Recipe Blog December 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Haha – now I’m going to feel sorry for gingerbread men too!
Great idea… and love the funny expressions on their faces.
Cheap Recipe Blog recently posted..Gift Worthy: Chocolate Ganache Truffles Recipe