Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Shortbread

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on December 10, 2011

Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Shortbread

I don’t think these need any introduction.  Everyone knows a shortbread cookie and I did nothing to change these except use whole wheat flour, which I actually think I like better.  They still have that smooth but sandy shortbread texture, so no need to worry about that, in fact that’s what I love about shortbread.  I still think back and remember my grandma’s shortbread cookies, and I can almost taste them.  While these are differently flavored, differently shaped and I think she might shake her head at the use of whole wheat flour, shortbread(among other things!) will always remind me of my grandmother.

What I love about this recipe is that it’s a small batch.  Feel free to double if you’d like them around for at least a few days :)  These hold their shape best when rolled in nuts but taste great either way.  As much as I like making recipes more nutritious, I’ll always make room for cookies like these Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Shortbread

Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Shortbread

Whole Wheat Cranberry Orange Shortbread

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm

They look perfect with a mug of tea I just made cranberry almond biscotti and did just that sitting next to the newly decorated tree today. :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sugar plum balls

2 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) December 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

That looks great! Love all the texture too, great that you made them a bit healthier too with whole wheat flour. Thanks for sharing! :)

How many cookies does this make again??

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

Thank you! It makes about 1.5 dozen. Thanks for asking, I’ll add that to my post too!

4 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm

These look fantastic! Clearly I’m not an experienced baker as I have no idea what icing sugar is. Is it the same as powdered sugar?

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles December 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for mentioning that! It is the same thing – I think I’ll change it because I’m pretty sure I’m the only one that calls it icing sugar – I don’t even know why.

6 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum December 12, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Cute! I was just thinking about making something cranberry/orange…

7 Nicole @ Wonderful Joy Ahead December 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’m not an orange lover, but I bet these would be great with lemon subbed in for it. I’m always on the look0ut for making sweets/treats healthier, too. :)
Nicole @ Wonderful Joy Ahead recently posted..LE December Highlights (so far)

8 Lottie @ Lottiesworldofcakes December 13, 2011 at 7:49 am

I like the idea of wholewheat flour! It’s almost making them a little bit healthy! They look really good.
Lottie @ Lottiesworldofcakes recently posted..Lebkuchen

9 Eat Good 4 Life December 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

These shortbread pieces look really good :-) The orange and cranberry flavor goes really well together so I am sure they were really good!!
Regards
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..The ultimate coconut chocolate chip cookie.

10 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen December 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I love shortbreads as well! Grandmothers always love the recipes the way they are. I could imagine her shaking her head :) These are just a must for the holidays!

11 Sonia The Healthy Foodie December 15, 2011 at 11:01 am

Wow, these look good! How I wish there was a way to make shortbreads without using any butter. Happy to know that whole wheat flour does the trick, tough! That’s one step closer to a healthy shortbread! :)
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Christmas Worthy Tiny Little Chicken Meatloaves

12 Richa@HobbyandMore December 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm

ahh my favorite combination.. cranberry orange and a whole lotta nuts! these shortbreads look so beautiful!
Richa@HobbyandMore recently posted..Pomegranate Apple Satsuma Spiced cooler!

13 Erin @ Texanerin Baking December 19, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I made these today! On the first batch, I used whole spelt but that didn’t work (I probably needed to add more flour). And I somehow even forgot the cranberries! On the second batch, I used plain whole wheat flour and that did work. I added a little more orange zest and they were fantastic! I also love how this makes such a small batch. I’m not a huge butter fan but for the occasional shortbread it has to be okay. Thanks for the recipe! :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Eierlikör – German Egg Liqueur (cooked!) a.k.a. Advokaat