Rice and Bean Taco Bake

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 3, 2012

I don’t know about you, but I’m a sucker for leftovers.  If it’s something everyone in the house enjoys and the recipe makes enough to have leftovers in the fridge, I’m totally happy.  Some of my favorite recipes to cook are ones that will last all week.  Especially with little kids, it always pays to have something in the fridge that they’ll eat so that you don’t have to make every single thing they eat as they want it.  I’m also a total sucker for casseroles and one dish meals.  Dishes that can be thrown together and into the oven.   The simpler the better.

This bake is so simple and fast, I’ve already made it twice and I’m still thinking up ideas for what to put in it next.  While it can be a vegetarian main dish, I think this would be awesome as a side too.  Plus, I think the leftovers would be awesome wrapped up in a tortilla.  It’s really a clean out the fridge type meal.  If you’re anything like me and buy things like peppers in a pack of 4 and then only use 3, this is perfect.  Chop all your little bits of leftover veggies up and throw them in.  We usually always have rice and beans either in the fridge or previously cooked and then frozen(although canned beans will be fine too!).  And I’m trying to use more frozen veggies in my cooking lately too so this is perfect.

Like I said, this is a clean out the fridge meal.  Even a carrot(maybe grated?) would probably go undetected in this, so go for it!  I don’t recommend adding too much more quantity-wise because this recipe will fill an 8×8 pan to the top, but you can easily mix and match and substitute whatever veggies you have on hand or that you think will taste good.  And chances are, if your kids enjoy tex-mex flavors this would be a good way to “hide” some vegetables in plain sight 🙂

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I <3 leftovers but for some reason my husband feels the need to finish all the food, even if there is plenty for leftovers. It's like he's subconsiously opposed to them or something. I literally have to remind him that I WANT to eat the meal as leftovers the next day so he doesn't eat it all!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..“Spring” turkey meatballs with avocado citrus dipping sauce

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I hear you! It seems like the things I really want for leftovers never last that long 🙁

3 Nora @ Natural Noshing January 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I love leftovers too!!! and re-purposing vegetables, grains or protein 🙂 I also love anything with southwest, mexican or santa fe flavors so this one has my name written all over it! I’ve make something very very similar to this but leave out the rice…I serve it with rice instead because I am strange and 90% of the time prefer my grains separate or as a bed for my main dish 🙂 gotta love food quirks!

4 Caroline January 3, 2012 at 6:08 pm

What a clever idea…looks and sounds fantastic!! x

5 lisaiscooking January 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

These ingredients are great together, and I love the idea of wrapping leftovers in a tortilla. Sounds like a go-to meal!
lisaiscooking recently posted..Coconut Cookie Sandwiches

6 Pure2raw twins January 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm

leftovers are the best! and love this idea! looks delicious.

7 Jeralyn January 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm

This looks amazing!!! Going to try tomorrow for sure!

8 Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious January 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I’m more of a leftover snob than my hubby – but we can tolerate leftovers for a couple of days. What a great vegetarian dish – I’d have to bookmark this!
Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious recently posted..Soft Pretzels

9 Yadsia @ShopCookMake January 3, 2012 at 7:38 pm

i’m bookmarking this. I like the idea of taco flavor with out all the fat.

10 Judy January 3, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I don’t need leftovers to make me want this! Definitely something I’m craving post christmas and new year.

11 torviewtoronto January 4, 2012 at 10:47 am

yummy dish looks wonderful
torviewtoronto recently posted..Chocolate beet cake

12 Amy @ Gastronome Tart January 4, 2012 at 10:48 am

I have a thing for casseroles and am always looking for new recipes. Thanks for sharing! Looks fantastic!

13 Maris (In Good Taste) January 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This looks amazing. I love things like this that are easy to put together and so delicious!
Maris (In Good Taste) recently posted..Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

14 Allison January 4, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Wow great idea, my kids would love that. They are suckers for anything Mexican inspired. Great pictures!
Allison recently posted..Curried Chicken Salad

15 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum January 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Looks great! I love stuff like this, especially for these cold dark nights. That might actually be afternoons? Who knows anymore.

16 Alexis @ There She Goes January 5, 2012 at 7:32 am

yum! i love dishes like this – anything that can be stashed in the fridge for a day or two is a winner in my book 🙂

17 Aly January 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

Hey, this looks delicious! I was wondering, how many servings does this yield?
Aly recently posted.."What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."

18 Heather January 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I love quick and easy recipes that are as versatile as this one – perfect for leftovers!
Heather recently posted..Liebster Award ~ fra-gee-lay "its a major award!"

19 The Café Sucré Farine January 5, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Sounds like a great meal with a salad and some warm crusty bread! Perfect for these chilly evenings!~
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Cinnamon Raisin Breakfast Crisps

20 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 6, 2012 at 1:10 am

I need to bookmark this. Looks so delicious and definitely a great week night dish! My fingers are so cold typing up this comment, and totally wish I can have a bowl of this right now!
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Kinpira Gobo (Braised Carrot & Burdock Root)

21 Baltic Maid January 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm

This looks delicious!
Baltic Maid recently posted..Pineapple Blueberry Smoothie with Oats

22 Brittany January 23, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Made this tonight and we loved it! To those of you who have commented but haven’t made it yet… make it, it’s awesome!

Everything I’ve made of yours so far has been so us, if that makes sense? Thanks so much for sharing your recipes!

*I am dairy free right now so I held off on putting the cheese in. Told my husband and daughter they could top theirs with it but they decided it was so good as is that they didn’t need it. : )

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you so much for leaving a comment 😀

24 Melissa @ My Recent Favorite books August 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This really does sound delicious!! =)

25 Marti March 31, 2015 at 10:39 am

this was so good, thank you very much. I had left over port ribs that I chopped up and added. My taco seasoning is mild so I found I have to double the amount. Thank you for sharing this.

{ 1 trackback }