Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 18, 2012

Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

I hope everyone is having a great week so far!  It’s been a stressful week around our house – but mostly self induced so I have no one to blame but myself.  I’ve been working hard in the kitchen, which has only resulted in a couple recipes and a literal ton of dishes for me this week.  Again, my own fault.  So this morning I took a break from my regular experiments and made a treat for myself and the kids.  I was debating calling these multigrain – can I consider quinoa a grain?  How many grains do you have to use before it’s considered multi?  Yeah, those are the thoughts going through my head.  I was also going to go with “Ancient Grain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins” but then “ancient” looked weird to me so I changed it.  Welcome to my brain.

Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

If the quinoa and kamut(also known as khorasan) freak you out a little – no worries!  You can just use whole wheat pastry flour which I’ve used in the past.  This recipe actually originally used all purpose flour so you could also use that if you really want – I promise they’re delicious either way.  If you do use these grains in particular, you’ll notice that the muffins seem rather greasy on the bottom when they first come out.  I have considered bumping the pumpkin up a 1/4 cup and reducing the butter by a 1/4 cup but I haven’t tried this, and the whole grains absorb the oils by the time they’re completely cool anyways.  Speaking of the whole grains, these muffins don’t get very big but they are incredibly soft and almost fluffy.  Definitely not your average dense whole grain muffin.

I realize pumpkin is more of a fall thing and here we are in January, but a sudden craving hit and I just happened to have pumpkin in the freezer.  These also have more butter and sugar than I usually like to put in muffins but they’re so good for a treat.  I’m hoping you don’t mind Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Multigrain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 Kathryn January 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I was thinking only this afternoon that I needed a good recipe for chocolate muffins with lots of lovely grains in them and here is one that looks just wonderful!
Kathryn recently posted..chocolate oatmeal cookies

2 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} January 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I love chocolate and pumpkin anything!! These look sooo good!!! I live the healthy spin on them too! :)

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 18, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I still have a pantry shelf full of pumpkin from the fall so it’s going to be an all year round kinda thing ;) I’ve never ground quinoa before for baking. What a good idea though for some added protein in baked goods!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..You ate what?

4 Nora @ Natural noshing January 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

These look SO delicious!!! Chocolate and pumpkin is a great combination and I love quinoa flour :) I wish I could try out kamut but will have to come up with a different gluten free flour to sub in – maybe teff or oat flour would work here. I could go for some pumpkin muffins right now, especially with melted chocolate chips warm from the oven…
Nora @ Natural noshing recently posted..Cheesy Garlic and Broccoli “Donuts”

5 Pure2raw twins January 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

looks delicious. and we have those mind talks too haha
and love quinoa – we consider it a grain even though it is not really ;)
and nothing beats good old pumpkin with chocolate! YUM
Pure2raw twins recently posted..chocolate chip cookie cake recipe

6 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 18, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I am a huge fan of pumpkin+chocolate and I love that you used different flours with these! I go through a similar process when naming recipes :-)
Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama recently posted..Grain-free raspberry coconut muffins

7 Baltic Maid January 18, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I have to admit I have never baked with quinoa flour or kamut flour before. I should give this a try because these muffins look delicious! Thanks for sharing this!
Baltic Maid recently posted..Easy Chicken Satay

8 Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 19, 2012 at 3:26 am

I hope your stressful week is already less stressful! The muffins look excellent. Nice and fluffy. And how neat about quinoa! I bought quinoa thinking I’d try something new but we found it a bit gross. I’m so excited to know that I can make flour out of it! I’ve had that strange greasy problem a few times (mostly with whole grain brownies with oil). They seem so disgustingly greasy when they first come out but after a few minutes, they’re fine. And I definitely don’t mind the sugar. It’s not that bad. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

9 Joanne January 19, 2012 at 4:54 am

If it were up to me, I’d eat pumpkin well into the summer…I maintain it’s an all-year-round kind of food!

These muffins sound super delicious! I love a good whole grain (err multi-grain) treat!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas, Feta and Swiss Chard…Eat.Live.Be

10 Heather January 19, 2012 at 7:40 am

I love the idea of using quinoa & kamut flour , I also just so happen to have a can of pumpkin in my baking pantry; seriously I could go for one of these RIGHT now with my cup of tea!

11 sally January 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

I love pumpkin any time of the year, and these pumpkin muffins look especially good!
sally recently posted..Homemade Tortillas and Black Bean Soft Tacos

12 Culinary Collage January 19, 2012 at 11:27 am

These look great! I love recipes made with pumpkin.
Culinary Collage recently posted..SWEET & SALTY CHEWY GRANOLA BARS

13 Allison January 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

These look great. My children would really go for these and it would be a good snack to send to school. Love that you used quinoa and kamut flours.
Allison recently posted..Penuche (Brown Sugar Fudge)

14 Allison January 19, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Allison recently posted..Penuche (Brown Sugar Fudge)

15 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Yum!! These look fantastic. I love pumpkin and chocolate together! Beautiful pictures of them as well!!

16 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 20, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Pumpkin and chocolate chip sound like a great combination – my kids will love it! I like the crumbly top of these muffins. Little crunchiness gives extra nice texture to the muffins. Hmmm… it would be a wonderful tea time if we have these right now. :-)
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Oden

17 Kathy January 21, 2012 at 2:58 am

You can freeze pumpkin? I must must must stock up on it during autumn time so I can try out awesome recipes like this during the course of the year!

18 Borislava@sharemykitchen January 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

These look so good! Just what I need for my breakfast tomorrow :) Thanks!
Borislava@sharemykitchen recently posted..Why every home cook needs clarified butter and how to make it

19 Julie January 21, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Hi Heidi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I’m so glad that you did, because now I have found your blog, and the muffins in this post look FAN-TAS-TIC!! I love anything pumpkin, and adding chocolate chips is always a good idea :) I’ve never used quinoa flour before, so I look forward to giving it a try!
Julie recently posted..Cherry-Almond Quinoa Breakfast Cookies

20 Lori January 21, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I love the kamut flour in these. I cook with the grain, but haven’t found the flour around here yet. These sound so great!
Lori recently posted..Quick Butternut Squash Curry Over Lentils

21 Maris (In Good Taste) January 21, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I am making these tomorrow morning. They look amazing!
Maris (In Good Taste) recently posted..Thai Chicken Curry Soup

22 Amy @ Gastronome Tart January 22, 2012 at 7:40 am

So excited that you posted this recipe. Seeing that I have been on a health kick lately, I’m always looking for recipes that incorporate healthy ingredients into baking. Bookmarked!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Kale Salad with Pomegranate and Toasted Walnuts

23 Winnie January 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I haven’t used quinoa flour in forever but I really like it….these muffins look great!
Winnie recently posted..One Simple Change: Eat Healthy Fats and Oils

24 Terris@ Free Eats January 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I love pumpkin and chocolate, so any excuse to eat that combo works for me! What a nice healthy muffin and lovely photos too!

25 Marsha @ The Harried Cook January 22, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Love the chocolate-pumpkin combination! I have been away from blogging for a while now, and I am glad to come back to this :) This is a great, healthy muffin recipe, and I think you for sharing it :) Love the photographs, too! Great post :)
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Rocky Road Cupcakes

26 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I don’t think you can ever go wrong with pumpkin + chocolate chips together!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..lunch for the week: bbq turkey burgers

27 Sonia The Healthy Foodie January 25, 2012 at 8:03 am

YUM, these look so good! I haven’t made muffins in way too long. I’m thinking I have to make a version of this, minus the butter and the sugar, of course. They’re soft and fluffly, you say?I don’t mind that, but I think I might have to “densify” them somehow. I like Nora’s idea of using teff flour… Definitely a recipe that I want to play with. I hope you won’t mind. They just look way too good to pass. :D
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Orange, Endive and Blue Cheese Salad

28 Pat January 31, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Those muffins are amasing! Thanks to Heidi!

I wanted to make them gluten free and I did not find the kamut flour so I used the 3/4 of quinoa flour, 1/4 of rice flour and 2/4 of gluten free all purpose baking flour. Finally, I used dark chocolate mini chunks and I had walnut halves. So delicious!

29 Raine March 15, 2013 at 5:43 pm

These look amazing. I’ve got a ton of homemade pumpkin puree that needs using – I’ll have to try out the recipe. Will let you know how it goes! Would you mind if I linked back to it on my blog?

30 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 21, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I’d love to hear what you think! These are our favorite muffins just made with all whole wheat pastry flour. And that reminds me I have lots of pumpkin puree that needs using up too! I don’t mind at all if you link back on your own blog :)

31 Nikki October 2, 2013 at 9:51 am

Based on what I had on hand here’s what I used, 1/4 cup quinoa flour, 1/2 cup almond flour, 3/4 cup whole wheat flour. I subbed 1/2 cup coconut oil for the butter, 1/2 cup xylitol for brown sugar, 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice for the ginger/cloves/nutmeg. All other ingredients are as listed in recipe. I made mini muffins and one batch makes 36 mini muffins that baked at 350 for 12 minutes and they are Devine! Moist, not grainy or dense and they have just the right amount of chocolate!