Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 27, 2012

Before I go any further, I have to say… This is not mac and cheese!

Is it flavorful?  Yes.

Is it cheesy?  Ooh yes!

Will it satisfy your cravings for pasta?  Not a chance.

I’m that person that was never fooled by spaghetti squash.  Yeah, it has little strands like spaghetti, but pasta it is not.  And if you look at it like the diet version of pasta, you’ll never like it.  Trust me.  I like it for what it is now that I acknowledge that it’s a veggie and not replacing pasta.  I love squash, and even though spaghetti squash is the weird one of the bunch, I still love it for what it is.  So, I repeat:  This is not a diet version of mac and cheese.  This is a cheesy veggie casserole that just happens to use spaghetti squash.

Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I have to brag a little…  This spaghetti squash actually came from my garden last year!  Yes, it took me a long time to eat it.  And I’m a little embarrassed to admit there’s another one hiding in my cupboard that I’ve been ignoring for months now.  Although you really can’t blame me – my spaghetti squash plant was the only squash that did well and it did a little too well.  But it still excites me that I grew the squash that’s in this.  And maybe now that I put it out there, I’ll finally use up my last lonely spaghetti squash 🙂  Suggestions?  What’s your favorite way to have spaghetti squash?

1 Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber January 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

My favorite way to eat spaghetti squash is with just a little butter, salt and pepper and a sprinkle of parm- so simple and yummy! I think what you have here is a more sophisticated version of what I just described. I love the addition of broccoli and you really can’t go wrong with cheddar cheese. It sounds amazing!
Amanda @ Thinly Sliced Cucumber recently posted..Pineapple Coconut Layer Cake

2 Heather January 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I have never known quite what to do with this squash – I have to say this looks SO AMAZING – I really wish I could reach through the screen, pluck all this goodness from your post and sit down for dinner with a steaming bowl . I have never seen spaghetti squash look so appetizing!
Heather recently veggie tartletts ~ spinach tofu ricotta

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This had me laughing because I made spaghetti squash last fall and pretty much wrote the same exact thing in my post. I hate when people say “it tastes like spaghetti!” because um, it totally does not. Yes, it’s delicious with cheese and things that you would normally put in spaghetti, but pasta it is not nor will it ever be no matter what you do to it! Glad someone’s on the same page as me!
All that being said, this looks delicious 🙂
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..“Hippie” cookies

4 Nora @ natural noshing January 27, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love spaghetti squash! Like you, I agree it doesn’t satisfy a pasta craving but it definitely tastes delicious with pasta sauce and cheese for a lighter meal 🙂 I am adoring the sound of broccoli and cheese squash – talk about yummy! It looks fantastic and comforting too!
Nora @ natural noshing recently posted..Carob Covered Coconut Protein Bars/Energy Squares

5 Pure2raw twins January 27, 2012 at 6:27 pm

yum! this sounds wonderful!!

6 Nicky January 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Yay totally agreeee 🙂 It just loooks so delicious on the pictures. I need to try out this!

7 Marsha @ The Harried Cook January 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Yummy! This sounds so delicious and totally like comfort food… and I love the gorgeous pictures too!
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..No-bake Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

8 curlsz January 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Ok I just made this for dinner – it was FANTASTIC – had it with grilled salmon and it was perfect. I used white mild chedder so you could really see all the color from the veges – gorgeous – A+

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 28, 2012 at 11:42 am

I am so glad you liked it! Sounds delicious with salmon 🙂

10 Anna January 28, 2012 at 1:49 am

As long as it is cheesy, creamy, delicious…Couldn’t care less whatever you call it 😉
Definitely should be in my to do list! Thanks for sharing!

11 chinmayie @ love food eat January 28, 2012 at 3:34 am

Sounds delicious!

12 Maris (In Good Taste) January 28, 2012 at 3:43 am

I have to agree with Anna. This looks very delicious!
Maris (In Good Taste) recently posted..Never Enough Time [Recipe: Crockpot Chicken Santa Fe]

13 Joanne January 28, 2012 at 5:00 am

I’m also one of “those” people. I like spaghetti squash for what it is…but I also LOVE my real spaghetti. And the squash could never replace it.

This sounds so cheesy delicious! Healthy comfort food…love it.
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Pumpkin Cake with Caramel Pecan Pie Streusel

14 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 28, 2012 at 6:14 am

Yum-I love spaghetti squash. This looks fantastic! I Most often just eat mine plain with butter, salt, and pepper. Like you, I love it for what it is. 🙂
Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama recently posted..Quinoa vegetable stew

15 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} January 28, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Oh Heidi! This is perfect for our family! Cheesy, healthy and delicious!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Berry Cheesecake Bars {Hearts}

16 Cara January 29, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I feel the same way about squash, I just love it for what it is! Sadly I think that people who try to convince themselves to try it “instead of” pasta are setting themselves up for failure. This sounds like a great way to enjoy spaghetti squash!
Cara recently posted..Love Your Heart: A Month-Long Celebration of Heart-Healthy Recipes

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 30, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I absolutely agree! So sad, because it’s a delicious squash 🙂

18 Rachel @ Bakerita January 29, 2012 at 8:59 pm

This looks so good! My sister loves spaghetti squash and I’m always looking for new ways to use it so I’ll definitely be trying out this version.
Rachel @ Bakerita recently posted..Gluten Free Oatmeal Pecan Cookies

19 Dramatic Pancake January 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

I am a shameless casserole addict and I adore spaghetti squash, so anything combining the two sounds like a great idea to me!! Seriously, this looks fantastic — even if it’s not pasta! 🙂

20 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 30, 2012 at 11:43 am

YUM, this looks absolutely wonderful! The squash and broccoli sound awesome!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Natural & Rustic Pear Tart

21 Margarita January 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I bake spaghetti squash in the oven with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and torn sage leaves. Then I scrape it out and pour homemade spaghetti sauce over it, with lots of freshly grated parmesan cheese. Your dish looks so yum!

22 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 30, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Mmm, sounds good!

23 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Cheesy spaghetti squash is fantastic! I enjoy mine with ricotta and Parmesan too.
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Honey Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Dipping Sauce | Rochers à la Noix de Coco

24 Christy January 31, 2012 at 12:08 am

I believe you that is not mac and cheese, as you have stated so strongly!:) I am sure this is way better than mac and cheese 😉
Christy recently posted..Red Tortoise Cake

25 Amy @ Gastronome Tart January 31, 2012 at 8:43 am

I never understood the whole thinking that spaghetti squash is a good substitute of pasta. I don’t think so. Although I do love spaghettis squash and anything with cheese and broccoli is a good thing in my book!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Clementine Cake with Citrus Glaze

26 Vickie February 4, 2012 at 6:40 am

I love spaghetti squash! I cook it in the microwave. I mix it with my favorite pasta sauce and parm. I also will sauté peppers, onions, broccoli, tomatoes, etc together and mix with the squash. Sometimes I add ground beef or sausage to it also. Another way is adding pepperoni, pizza sauce, and mozzarella and bake.

27 Danene February 4, 2012 at 11:54 pm

My kids and I love to make spaghetti squash pizza! Cook the squash, shell it, mix squash with 3 eggs and about 1/4 cup of milk. Return to the oven and bake until set. I bake at 350 for about 15-20 min. Then top with pizza sauce, mozzarella, turkey pepperoni (whatever you want) and bake until cheese melts. My kids always go back for seconds. I can’t wait to try this new way!

28 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 6, 2012 at 8:12 am

That is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing, I want to give that a try 😀

29 Deb September 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

This looks really yummy! I love spagetti squash for what it is and have never tried to substitute it for pasta. My favorite way to eat it is, after scrapping it from the shell, mix 2 tablespoons of melted butter with 1/4 cup of brown sugar, then mix into the squash. It is very good!

30 Jami November 28, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I just started eating spaghetti squash this year, I’m in love! LOL I’ve done Chicken pamesan topped with spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash with cheese and sour cream and sausage, the possibilities are endless! I can’t wait to try this one.

31 Jill October 3, 2013 at 6:56 am

Thank you for this recipe. I was seriously out of food to cook for dinner last night but I had a spaghetti squash and broccoli, so off to Google I went. Found this recipe. Soooooo good. We’ll definitely keep it. I added a can of white beans to make it a vegetarian entree. My kids even took it for lunch in a thermos today. Winner.

32 River October 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Heidi! I have already made it several times and I don’t think I will be getting sick of it any time soon. Delicious! I was able to easily adapt it to make it vegan and blogged about it here:
River recently posted..Cheesy Spaghetti Squash and Broccoli Casserole

33 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

That’s awesome! Thanks for letting me know River, I’m off to check out your post now! I’m so glad you enjoyed it 😀

34 Jane Sinton October 26, 2013 at 10:52 pm

My daughter and I made this as a vegetarian main course. It is rich and yummy! We used a creamy aged (2 yrs) white cheddar with a full cup to sprinkle on top. I just want to say, it’s equally good cold the next day!

35 Rebecca October 17, 2015 at 8:47 am

Has anyone made this and froze it?

{ 4 trackbacks }