Lemon Blueberry Clafoutis

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on March 2, 2012

So I have made a clafoutis here on Food Doodles before, but this months column in our local paper was on eggs and I could not get a clafoutis out of my mind, so here it is!  I mixed things up by using blueberries this time.  I love blueberries so much.  They’re my favorite berry, but occasionally I’ll go crazy for strawberries too.  I kind of think it has something to do with the seeds that makes me not enjoy raspberries and blackberries as much, but who knows?

So I also used frozen berries in this one, which is why the top is completely purple.  The color does bleed a lot, but at least it’s a pretty color, right?  I also used khorsasan/Kamut flour for this one, and as you can see in some of the pictures, it formed almost a crust on the bottom with a much more custardy layer on top of that, and then all the blueberries on the very top.  I have no idea if that was the flour, or maybe because I used frozen berries or maybe because I really loaded it up with berries?  The last one I posted didn’t turn out like that at all, but I used fresh raspberries, and whole wheat pastry flour for that one.  Either way it was still delicious and still a go-to dessert for me.  I’ll admit, I even had some for breakfast the next morning 😀

In other news…. Food Doodles just recently turned one!  Which means I’ve been blogging for an entire year!  That is incredibly hard to believe, I can’t believe how fast the time has gone(even though I did take almost 2 whole months off in the middle!)  I can’t believe how much things have changed around here, how much I’ve learned, and how much I still enjoy blogging!  But most of all I’m thankful to my readers.  Really, without you, Food Doodles would be nothing, so thank you!

I’m looking forward to a lot more good food, a lot of learning experiences for me and a ton more improvements around here in the future.  If there’s anything you’d like to see, or like to see more of(or less of ;)) here on Food Doodles, let me know!  I would love to hear any suggestions or ideas you have for me :)

1 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) March 2, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I just adore the combination of lemon and blueberries…this looks delicious!
Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) recently posted..Creamy Egg Marinara Breakfast Dip

2 Lisa March 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Congrats on your anniversary! Looks delicious AND beautiful! Will be my Easter treat for work.
I would love to see more vegetarian dishes that would please even a meat eater!

3 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Wow! That looks picture perfect!!! I absolutely love the beautiful clafoutis! Pinning it! And the combination of blueberries and citrus can’t be beat… Thanks for sharing! Stunning dish!
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies (and an announcement)

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 2, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I’ll be honest, while i’ve definitely eaten it before, I really had no idea what made a clafoutis well, a “clafoutis” until I just googled it. This version looks delicious. Blueberries are one of my favorite berries in desserts and one of those things I buy year round regardless of whether they’re in season or not.
Congrats on hitting the 1 year mark! I just hit publish on my 300th post the other day and thought “wow, I sure do have a lot to say!” haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Raw brownie bites

5 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 3, 2012 at 6:02 am

I definitely don’t mind the bleeding color, this sounds delicious!

6 mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry March 3, 2012 at 6:16 am

Blueberries and lemon is one one of my favorite combinations! This looks pretty AND delicious! Congrats on turning one and here’s to another great year!

7 Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 3, 2012 at 6:24 am

I love the purple! I’ve never had clafoutis but this one looks delicious. I’m so ready for blueberry season.

I had no idea that you had been blogging for only one year. I love the variety of things you post so I have no suggestions. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Chocolate Protein Truffles

8 Hungry Native March 4, 2012 at 7:22 am

Looks great, love the vibrant color. Congrats on your milestone, our blog turns 1 year old today!

9 Jane March 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

Congrats on your anniversary! This looks absolutely lovely, I love blueberries!
Jane recently posted..Coconut Banana Bread

10 Yo March 4, 2012 at 9:35 am

Looks beautiful and yummy!

11 Baking Serendipity March 4, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Happy one year! I have never made a clafoutis before, but yours looks fantastic! I love blueberries (frozen or fresh!) too :)
Baking Serendipity recently posted..365: Week Nine

12 The Café Sucré Farine March 5, 2012 at 6:13 am

Heidi, this is so……… pretty! Lemon and blueberries, seems like a match made in heaven to me!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Roasted Chicken Breasts w/ Lemon, Garlic & Rosemary

13 Sarah March 5, 2012 at 11:06 am

Your photos of this clafoutis are beautiful! (And it looks tasty too:)

14 Nora @ Natural noshing March 5, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Happy One Year of Blogging!!!! You have a wonderful thing going here at Food Doodles, here’s to many more yummy recipes from your creative kitchen! :)
I really need to make a clafoutis! Seriously your recipes and photos are urging me on to make a gluten free version — can’t wait to have a little time to myself so I can experiment!
thanks so much for sharing – I too love blueberries :)
Nora @ Natural noshing recently posted..Bread Pudding Solution!

15 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} March 5, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Heidi, this is beautiful!! Love how the blueberries bled that gorgeous purple color! This recipe sounds fantastic!!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Triple Chocolate Crackle Cookies

16 Sonia The Healthy Foodie March 6, 2012 at 11:29 am

Woo! Happy blogiversary Heidi, and huge congrats to you! I couldn’t think of a more perfect way to celebrate than by enjoying a huge slice of this gorgeous blueberry clafoutis. This is one seriously decadent looking dessert! I saw it on pinterest and pinned it before I even knew it was from you… I thought it looked very familiar, though, so I wasn’t at all surprised to land here after clicking on the image.

Awesome work, Heidi! Mouthwatering pics and great recipes. Just keep it up, that’s all I can say! Oh, and we want pictures of the little one! 😉
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Creamy Chicken Avocado and Goat Cheese Salad

17 Amy @ Gastronome Tart March 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I have only made a clafoutis one time and it was a cranberry version. Absolutely delicious and made me wonder why I never made it before. However with this recipe (I LOVE lemon desserts) I may have clafoutis on the mind too! Congrats on turning one!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Ultimate Coconut Cake

18 Rikki March 6, 2012 at 8:32 pm

This is so beautiful! I love the combination of blueberries & lemon.
Rikki recently posted..Fresh Asparagus Ribbon Salad

19 beti March 7, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I love the color of this clafoutis and the combination of blueberries with lemon is perfect for spring
beti recently posted..Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

20 Nicole, RD March 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm

This looks absolutely amazing…it will be made :)

21 Ruth March 13, 2012 at 7:49 am

Oh my! This looks divine!!
I am a blueberry addict and will be trying this for sure!!

Thanks 😀
Ruth recently posted..Tender Writing

22 Lizeth Monroy August 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

My 3 year old and I just made the Lemon Blueberry Clafoutis! It was a great activity to do with my son and now we get to it!!! LOVE IT! THANKS :-)