Clean out the Fridge Vegetable Soup

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on March 20, 2012

This is my favorite soup.  It’s not really a big deal.  In fact it’s pretty simple, and every time I make it, it’s different.  I’ve even posted about it before using lentils and with pasta mixed in with very slightly different seasonings.

This soup is incredibly adaptable.  I usually always have carrots and celery in my fridge because they’re two vegetables that my kids will snack on raw, and they last longer than a week, so I always have them in the fridge as backup for if I didn’t buy enough other veggies.  But you can adapt this to whatever you have.  More carrots, less celery or even add in some other vegetables like peppers.  Or substitute the greens for a different kind, or something else completely.  As long as the base flavors in the onion, garlic, tomatoes and seasonings are the same, this soup will be delicious, I promise 🙂

Even the beans can be swapped out for quite a few different things.  I’ve used just about every kind of bean in this soup and it always tastes good.  Lentils work just as well, and I love how they taste.  Plus, even if you don’t have any cooked on hand they can easily be cooked with the soup until tender because they don’t need to cook as long as beans.

Like I did the last time I posted a very similar soup, you can add pasta.  You can even add fun shaped pasta to make it more fun for the kids – if you can find some – but usually we just stick to whole grain macaroni or broken up pieces of spaghetti if we go that route.  You could also add any leftover cooked grains to your bowl like brown rice or even cooked wheat berries, to make it a little more filling.  Although usually I just prefer to leave the grains out and serve this alongside a thick slice of whole wheat bread with butter.

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 20, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This is a great “clean out the fridge” type of meal, definitely stuff I have on hand all the time. Giving this one a try since I loved your shrimp and tomato soup so much 🙂

2 Stephanie March 20, 2012 at 5:12 pm

omg.. I think I might have to see if I have time to make this for dinner tonight. I wish I wasn’t out of whole wheat bread though because I love whole wheat bread with butter and some good soup
Stephanie recently posted..Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwiches & The Globe and Mail

3 sally March 20, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Its probably about time for me to clean out all of the veggies in my fridge too. This soup looks like a great way to use them all up!
sally recently posted..Tropical Trail Mix

4 Nora @ natural noshing March 20, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I’m loving this veggie packed soup! The add in of chickpeas is calling my name too — I love their creamy texture packed into that little bean! I made a soup last night and was going to heat leftovers for dinner but now I’m thinking this soup is calling my name! 🙂
Nora @ natural noshing recently posted..BBQ Chicken Quesadillas

5 ATasteOfMadness March 21, 2012 at 12:32 am

This looks so yummy! I haven’t had vegetable soup in so long (which is weird, it is one of my favorite type of soup) but this will soon change!
ATasteOfMadness recently posted..Tuna Casserole

6 chinmayie @ love food eat March 21, 2012 at 2:03 am

I make a soup like this often and what i like the most about is that it tastes different everytime 🙂
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Konkani Style Baby Potatoes with Asafetida

7 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef March 21, 2012 at 2:29 am

I made a clean the fridge salad last month and was really proud of myself for not wasting food. I think it’s time to do it again and your soup would make me even more proud. It looks wonderful !
Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Coconut Macaroon Strawberry Ice Cream Sandwiches

8 Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf March 21, 2012 at 5:45 am

Heidi, this looks delish! I love veggie soup and need to clean my fridge. Evernoted to make over the weekend. Thanks!
Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf recently posted..Buttermilk and Honey Bread, Barbie and PB&J

9 The Café Sucré Farine March 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Heidi, this looks wonderful – just what I’d like for lunch, any leftovers? I’m not sure I would find such great items in my refridg – sometimes when I clean it out I find green things, not good green, as in “fresh” – you know, the other kind 🙂
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Seeded Oat Bread

10 Kathryn March 21, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I love this kind of recipe and how it uses up all that stuff that you just have lying around. They make the best kind of meals, so delicious!
Kathryn recently posted..orange and ginger muffins

11 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I am total soup person, and this is the kind of recipe that I would LOVE!! Perfect! Now if only my leftovers looked as clean and fresh as yours! 🙂 Thank you for sharing this 🙂
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Apple-Blueberry Muffins & Answered Questions

12 anh@anhsfoodblog.com March 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Believe it or not, I actually made a similar soup the other day! Great to clean out the fridge and nutritious too!
anh@anhsfoodblog.com recently posted..{Review} The Commoner | Fitzroy | Melbourne ~ Farm, Feather & Fur Menu

13 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious March 22, 2012 at 3:45 am

I love “cleaning out the fridge” recipes. They’re so adaptable and you can make some really good uses to some veggies that are on the verge of being completely fugly and unusable.

Thanks for saving me some money and inspiring me to make a healthy soup! 🙂
Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious recently posted..No Bake Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars

14 Joanne March 22, 2012 at 6:33 am

I’m pretty sure my fridge is LONG overdue for a soup-full cleanout! This sounds so delicious.
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Sweet Potato Spinach Pesto Lasagna Rolls {eat.live.be.}

15 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 29, 2012 at 2:57 am

I love a nice hearty vegetable soup like this, such a nice way to get all your veggies!
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Gluten Free and Grain Free Chocolate Granola | Chocolate for Breakfast

16 Gosia April 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm