Cosmic Cookies (Whole Grain, Vegan and Nut-Free)

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 29, 2012

Tell me honestly, do these look amazing?  Even before I tried one, these looked amazing to me and now that I have tried them… Let’s just say I’m hooked.  These incredible cookies are packed with sunflower seeds, pepitas, chia seeds, dried cranberries, oats, chocolate chips…  Oh, and they’re 100% whole grain and vegan so they’re dairy and egg free.  Amazing, right?

Sadly, I can’t take credit for this one, I just couldn’t help sharing these with you though!  The original recipe comes from Planet Organic Market where this is their most popular cookie(or was, in 2009).  They must be incredible to sell so many of them!

I’ve made a few small adaptations, some of which I got from my neighbor who first shared some cookies with me(thank you!!) and some that I tried out myself.  These are easily my favorite cookies now 🙂

While these are THE best cookies fresh from the oven, they do freeze well and they last in a sealed container on the counter for a few days too.  I’m telling you though, plan on eating one fresh from the oven.  The edges are crispy crunchy like granola clusters and the inside is soft and warm but still dense and chewy with melty chocolate chips throughout.  Yum!

Don’t let the recipe fool you when it says it only makes 24.  I challenge anyone to eat 3, like I have them stacked in the picture.  One and a half is my limit, even on an empty stomach!  I’d say you can easily make 48 – 60 “normal” sized cookies from this recipe although I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure how you’d have to adjust the baking time.  If and when I try it in the future I’ll update this post.

Look at all those seeds!  Enjoy, and have a great weekend!

1 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 29, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Positively awesome!!! They’re incredible. What’s the texture like? Did you use jumbo oat flakes?
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..What I’ve been making lately

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 3, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Yep, I just used regular old fashioned rolled oats. The original calls for quick oats though, so anything you have will work. When they’re fresh baked the edges are like the texture of granola clusters. Even after they’ve been sitting for a few days they’re nice and chewy and dense. I love the texture of these!

3 Eat Good 4 Life June 29, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Are these cookies really called cosmic cookies? I love the name. The ingredient list is just awesome. I love all of the wholesome ingredients in them, especially the kia seeds. I have never thought of adding them to cookies but now I will 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Gluten Free No bake frozen Lemonade Cheesecake

4 purelylori June 30, 2012 at 5:13 am

now that is a powerhouse cookie!
looks delicious! and agree cookies are best right out of oven 😉
purelylori recently posted..puppy

5 Erin @ Texanerin Baking June 30, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Whoa! These do indeed look amazing. They’re so beautifully big and fat. And you can tell they have a nice texture… it just has that buttery glow. 🙂 I love the ingredients in these. Awesome awesome cookies, Heidi!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Honey Sweetened Strawberry Sauce

6 Bridget July 1, 2012 at 9:12 am

These look awesome!! They look very chewy and filling, I’m going to have to try these soon!
Bridget recently posted..My first juicings and what to do with the pulp!

7 Christine July 1, 2012 at 1:43 pm

These cookies look delish! Definitely going to try the recipe…thanks for sharing!

8 Basil July 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Wow, look at all that yummy stuff you crammed into those cookies. Giant, healthy cookies? Yes, I think I will be making these veeeery soon!

9 Karina July 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

They look like they would make good breakfast cookies.

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 3, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I think so too! I wont lie, I’ve had a few for breakfast since I made them 😀

11 Lou July 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Yummo! Love the sounds of these – I may have to try them with coconut sugar (my latest obsession!) 🙂
Lou recently posted..tofu: debating plus baking

12 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes July 2, 2012 at 11:42 am

wow those look good!! I’d love to eat those for breakfast! I love that they freeze well, I’ll have to make these to have stored away!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip

13 May I Have That Recipe July 2, 2012 at 11:57 am

These look heavenly! Although i just came off of a 30 day vegan challenege i am still soo exciited to try these! Can’t wait!

14 Heather July 2, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Healthy cookies – count me in!

These look incredible – your description :crunchy on the edges soft on the inside put these over the edge for me!
Heather recently posted..grilled sweet potatoes

15 Jennifer@The Foodery July 3, 2012 at 7:57 am

Hi, I saw these delicious cookies on Foodgawker and they remind me of the ones I used to get at a favorite health food store. I can’t wait to try this out, thanks for sharing the recipe. 🙂
Jennifer@The Foodery recently posted..Flavor of the Week: Orange You Glad I Didn’t Say Banana?

16 Baking Serendipity July 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

I would eat these for breakfast! I love all the healthy add-ins 🙂
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Pup-cakes

17 Kasandra Bracken July 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm

How could you! You’ve shared our family secret!! 😉

Seriously, aren’t these the best? We’ve been munching them since 2009 at least at the original Planet Organic in Edmonton… and I’ve certainly passed them around Toronto and then some. I’ll have to try out your modifications! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Kasandra Bracken recently posted..Sunflower Seed Cheez Whiz

18 Cheryl August 23, 2012 at 12:04 am

These look amazing! I have been looking for a healthy cookie to send to school with my soon-to-be kindergartener (“Mama, I’m the ONLY one who doesn’t get sugar treats in my snack!) and this is the chosen one! Thanks so much for sharing!

19 Mum2three April 20, 2013 at 3:52 am

Would maple syrup or honey work in these instead of the blackstrap molasses?? I am from Australia and I can honestly say I have never heard of or seen it before LOL Also, we are a sugar free house and I was wondering what I could substitute the sugar for?? I have agave nectar, honey and pure maple syrup. Would love to make these if there are things I can substitute these ingredients for 😎 Thank you xo

20 Meredith May 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Hi! I have been eying these cookies for almost a year now but keep delaying making them because I’m hesitant to buy blackstrap molasses, as I wouldn’t know what else to do with it. Would they work if I substituted the molasses with maple syrup? Thanks!
Meredith recently posted..Rosemary + Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Cake (with spelt flour)

21 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 19, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hey Meredith! Sorry it took me so long to write back. You can absolutely use maple syrup(or even honey I think). Or any kind of molasses will work if you have just regular baking molasses or even the sweeter fancy molasses. If you do buy blackstrap molasses I love putting a tiny bit in smoothies(especially a pumpkin pie flavored smoothie) or pancakes along with gingerbread spices, or even a tiny drizzle over my morning oatmeal. It does take some getting used to because it’s fairly strong flavored, but it is good for you 🙂

22 Meredith May 20, 2013 at 2:31 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Heidi! I ultimately caved in and bought the molasses last week. Made the cookies (they were divine!) and was just wondering what to do with the rest of the jar…so your recommendations are most appreciated!

23 Heidi January 8, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Hi Heidi !

Not often you meet another Heidi. My son is gluten free, have you tried substituting gluten free flour? Yours look tasty and nutritious!

Thanks,
Heidi

24 Robert Alexander June 5, 2015 at 8:03 am

I wish these were made with vanilla or almond flavor also, as I don’t care for cinnamon at all.

25 Rebecca February 28, 2016 at 1:22 am

Lots of people commenting on how great this LOOKS, but not yet on TASTE.

I just made them and got the thumbs up from 2 friends! These cookies are delicious!

26 Sonit Nangia January 8, 2017 at 10:45 am

These are absolutely delicious, healthy and big hit whenever I take them for friends. Thanks for sharing. Do you measure 3/4 cup frozen coconut oil and melt it or do you measure 3/4 cup melted coconut oil?

27 Jess Kyle July 6, 2017 at 10:44 pm

These are incredibly delicious (even my son will eat them and he is extremely picky), but you bill them as nut free and vegan, which is trendy, but untrue. If you use almond milk, which the recipe calls for, they are NOT nut free and if you use regular milk, they are not vegan. If you use coconut milk or soy milk, they are then both. Please be careful with this kind of billing, as it puts kids more at risk to say something is ‘safe’ with this kind of oversight, than just to say that it contains allergens in the first place.

{ 1 trackback }