Delicious, whole grain cookies that can be vegan, nut-free and packed full of whole grains, healthy seeds, dried fruit and dark chocolate. The ultimate healthy cookie/granola bar in disguise!
Tell me honestly, do these look amazing? Even before I tried one, these looked amazing to me and now that I have tried them… Let’s just say I’m hooked. These incredible cookies are packed with sunflower seeds, pepitas, chia seeds, dried cranberries, oats, chocolate chips… Oh, and they’re 100% whole grain and vegan so they’re dairy and egg free. Amazing, right?
Sadly, I can’t take credit for this one, I just couldn’t help sharing these with you though! The original recipe comes from Planet Organic Market where this is their most popular cookie(or was, in 2009). They must be incredible to sell so many of them!
I’ve made a few small adaptations, some of which I got from my neighbor who first shared some cookies with me(thank you!!) and some that I tried out myself. These are easily my favorite cookies now 🙂
While these are THE best cookies fresh from the oven, they do freeze well and they last in a sealed container on the counter for a few days too. I’m telling you though, plan on eating one fresh from the oven. The edges are crispy crunchy like granola clusters and the inside is soft and warm but still dense and chewy with melty chocolate chips throughout. Yum!
Don’t let the recipe fool you when it says it only makes 24. I challenge anyone to eat 3, like I have them stacked in the picture. One and a half is my limit, even on an empty stomach! I’d say you can easily make 48 – 60 “normal” sized cookies from this recipe although I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure how you’d have to adjust the baking time. If and when I try it in the future I’ll update this post.
Look at all those seeds! Enjoy, and have a great weekend!
Cosmic Cookies (Whole Grain, Vegan and Nut-Free)
- 2 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup kamut flour or all spelt
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds or pepitas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup brown sugar I recommend using a lesser processed sugar like sucanat but any kind works
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups semi sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted(alternatively, any flavorless oil)
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk or any unsweetened milk that fits your dietary needs or restrictions to make this recipe nut free and/or vegan as needed.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a very large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients from the oats to the dried cranberries. Stir and set aside. In a medium sized bowl stir together the molasses, melted coconut oil and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix with a large wooden spoon just until all the ingredients are combined. Using a 1/3 C measuring cup, scoop dough and place 9-12 cookies per baking sheet. Gently press the cookie dough down to about 3/4"-1" tall and press any pieces that have fallen off back into the cookie.
- Place sheets in the oven and bake for 24-26 minutes or until lightly browned, switching the baking sheets in between. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before removing the cookies from the sheet and placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.