Cajun Roasted Cauliflower “Steaks” with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 5, 2012

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

I’m sure the last thing you want to be thinking about is heating your oven up to 425 degrees right now, but how gorgeous does this “steak” look?  I bet you didn’t think cauliflower could be so pretty.  I certainly didn’t.  I also didn’t think it could be this delicious, but it is.

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

If you haven’t had roasted cauliflower before, try it!  Even if cauliflower isn’t your favorite veggie, you’ll love it roasted!  I love it with chili powder or curry powder, but I’ve recently discovered that Cajun seasoning is delicious on it too.  I thought cutting cauliflower into “steaks” would be a fun idea, but I didn’t know it would be so pretty!  But you can just do simple bite sized pieces of cauliflower this way too, I made a note in the recipe because the time to roast it will be a little less.

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

For my hubby and kids I tone down the spiciness when I make our own Cajun seasoning and I only add a small amount.  Not only does it save money, this way everyone can enjoy it too.  Then for myself I can always add a pinch or two of cayenne to make it spicier just for myself.

I love making my own spice blends.  What’s your favorite spice blend?  I love pumpkin pie spice, not just in pumpkin pie Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning   Do you like making your own spice blends?

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

Cajun Roasted Cauliflower Steaks with Homemade Cajun Seasoning

1 Josh K July 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I just ran across your blog while looking for something completely different, but I found this recipe instead and found it very interesting.. then I clicked on your About page and WOW. My wife and I are completely on the same page as you — we’re lucky to have a few very good year-round farmer’s markets in our area that have a lot of ethical vendors and love to make our own meals using whole ingredients.

I’ll be sharing your site with a few people. Here’s to real food!

P.S. I love making my own spice mixes. I make my own fajita seasoning. The kids love it.
Josh K recently posted..Review: Cuisinart All Foods CGG-200

2 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama July 5, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I don’t make my own spice blends often, but I know I should. I love the cauliflower steak idea–what a fun spin on roasted cauliflower.
Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama recently posted..Quinoa patties with black beans and corn

3 Cheap Dinner Ideas July 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, those pictures are absolutely tantalizing! This is a great alternative to red meat, and can be a pretty darn good cheap dinner idea as well. I’m a huge fan of cajun spice and cauliflower, so I’ll definitely have to try this out. Great job, I’ll be sharing this with my family!

-Jeepers
Cheap Dinner Ideas recently posted..4th of July Leftovers With Cheap Dinner Ideas

4 Frieda at Purple Oven Mitt July 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Very Clever Indeed!

We are newly converted healthier eaters enduring week 2 of Shaun T’s Insanity. I will be making your cauliflower steaks.

Thanks!

5 Emma July 6, 2012 at 3:44 am

I love the roasted cauliflower idea! Why have I never thought of that!

With spices it’s all about fennel seeds for me at the moment – can’t get enough of them!
Emma recently posted..Vitamins In Pregnancy

6 Kathryn July 6, 2012 at 3:49 am

This is such an interesting way to cook cauliflower & I love the sound of that cajun seasoning!
Kathryn recently posted..i got some cake in the post

7 Ashley July 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

So glad I ventured over to your lovely blog! I’m a cauliflower fiend and this recipe looks perfect!
Ashley recently posted..Dark Chocolate Coconut, Curry, Pistachio Bark

8 Joanne July 7, 2012 at 3:43 am

I ADORE roasted cauliflower and heating up my oven for this is definitely worth it!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: White Balsamic Custard Tart with Fresh Berry Topping

9 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 7, 2012 at 11:57 am

I make roasted cauliflower 2-3 times a month. We love it! I’m going to make this next time. :)
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week + No-Churn Peach Sorbet Recipe

10 em July 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

such a creative idea! i am definitely trying this recipe.
em recently posted..summer snapshots

11 Cara July 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’m impressed – I tried to do cauliflower steaks once and my cutting job was not so pretty! I wish there was some kind of gadget for keeping cauliflower from getting all over the place while you’re cutting it- I would definitely buy that contraption :)
Cara recently posted..Workout Wednesday – 7/11 & Easy Recipe for Halibut with Roasted Tomatoes and Basil

12 Saree Rentals July 18, 2012 at 11:06 am

My sister-in-law just moved here from India… so I am trying to meet her vegetarian needs with american cooking… your blog is perfect for my needs!! Thanks for all the veg recipes!

13 Pam @Mommacan.com August 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Yummy! I am so making this when we get back from Vegas!

Pam
Pam @Mommacan.com recently posted..Get Your Momma Groove and Play A Game

14 michelle February 22, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’m excited to try your splice blend on every roasted veggie!