Healthier Peanut Butter Crunch Bars

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 28, 2012

I thought a sweet treat would be in order after a week of zucchini on the blog(even though it was delicious!) and a weekend of camping for us.  I’m not sure what inspired these, but they are such a yummy treat.  And much healthier than other, similar bars.  Of course with lots of honey and lots peanut butter and corn flakes, these really are a treat, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be nutritious too.

Before I should go any further, I want to mention that my hubby made this cutting board for me.  And another one out of a darker piece of wood with a heart for a handle.  How sweet is he? 🙂

Just a note, I loved these from the freezer.  They’re a little firm, but the chocolate(with coconut oil) gets the most awesome crispiness to is.  You could store these in the fridge as well, but I’m not sure how well they would do on the counter.  They might be too soft, especially if your kitchen is fairly warm, so your best bet is to keep these in the fridge.  Try them straight out of the freezer too though, they’re yummy 🙂

Of course, as usual, I leave the quality of ingredients up to you, except that you need to use natural peanut butter.  I’ve been using Attune Foods Erewhon Corn Flakes, and I love them.  You really can’t beat 2 ingredients 🙂

1 Kathryn August 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm

These sound exactly like my kind of thing & I love the idea of eating them straight from the freezer, I’ve never thought to do that!
Kathryn recently posted..homemade ricotta

2 Faith August 29, 2012 at 8:34 am

Yum, these little treats sound fantastic! I definitely think I could enjoy munching on them straight from the freezer. 🙂

The cutting board your hubby made is gorgeous!
Faith recently posted..Cherry-Vanilla Sour Cream Scones with Vanilla Cream Spread

3 Heather August 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

OMG I have to make these – they look so so good!
Heather recently posted..mexican quinoa stuffed green peppers

4 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 29, 2012 at 3:43 pm

These sound like wonderful bars to snack on!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookie Bars

5 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 29, 2012 at 8:14 pm

How sweet of your husband to make the cut board. I love it. Can’t wait to see the darker one.
The bars sound amazing Heidi!
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Tomato tart with poppy seed crust and goat cheese

6 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Oh my. I can’t imagine anything better right now. I’ve been thinking of these cornflake peanut butter things my grandmother used to make but figured that they’d be too unhealthy. I’m so going to make these.

Love the new cutting board! Your husband’s talented. 🙂
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Lemon Zucchini Muffins

7 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 31, 2012 at 9:03 am

Oh my! I wish I had one of these to eat with lunch today. Or maybe two. I’m such a sucker for that peanut butter & chocolate combination. 🙂

I love the cutting board! I’ve been wanting a long one like that.
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week + Garlic Soy Green Beans Recipe

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Ahh, I wish I had more too!

Me too! I’ve been wanting one for months now, but finally go around to drawing out what I wanted. I just love the shape.

9 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen September 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

These are filled with some of my very favorite ingredients: chocolate, peanut butter and coconut, delicious!
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Stone Fruit in Lemon Thyme Syrup with Creme Fraiche

10 Jen September 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I wish I could eat a piece now. Crunchy cornflakes, peanut butter and coconut, heaven
Jen recently posted..Sprouted Beans Tabbouleh