Feel Better Green Juice

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 30, 2014

I don’t think I’ve mentioned yet that I finally got a juicer!  No, not a really good one that I could recommend, in fact it doesn’t work very good at all so I’m looking for suggestions on your favorite juicers.  But for the price I paid for this one from a local second hand store I’m really not going to complain. I’ve wanted to start juicing for ages and now I finally can!  I’m a little afraid to admit my first attempts were not that great at all, but already I’ve learned a lot about juicing and can’t wait to share some more recipes, if you’re interested :)

I know I mentioned in my last post that I have a cold.  And I’m not even sure it’s a cold, it feels more like the flu.  It’s been going since Sunday and while my sinuses have improved, my energy and appetite have not.  Until I drank this juice though!  Now I’m not saying this juice is a magical cure, I don’t think any juice no matter how amazing for you is going to cure you from the common cold or the flu or any other diseases your child brings home from school but it did wonders for my energy level so I’m definitely calling this juice “feel better juice” :)

Now my little one is also sick so I made a kids version as well.  Actually, my youngest who will be 2 in April loves green juice, she doesn’t mind the color at all or the green flavor so I actually made this version to benefit my older daughter who is 4 and makes faces every time she tries my green juice.  This time I actually mixed a little of my green juice into hers and served it to her in a cup that she couldn’t see into and no weird faces!  Yay!

If you enjoy fresh juices, please leave me a comment below and tell me what your favorite combinations are!  I can’t wait to try out new ideas!

If you’re feeling sick, give this juice a try, it will do wonders for you!  And even if you’re not feeling sick this juice tastes great and is sure to give you more energy and brighten your day :)

Feel Better Green Juice
Yield: Approx. 2⅓ C
  • 1 green apple, seeds removed
  • 1 large orange, peeled
  • 1-2 stalks celery
  • 1 large carrot
  • 1 small bunch organic kale(plus any leftover stems from other kale!)
  • 2 small handfuls spinach
  • a generous 1" piece of fresh ginger
  • freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
  1. Juice all ingredients except the lemon juice and stir together, taste and add freshly squeezed lemon juice as desired. Enjoy!
I also like adding cucumber to this juice, I just didn't have any on hand when making this one. I'm sure it would make a great addition!

Feel Better Juice for Kids
Yield: Approx. 1⅔ C
  • 1 green apple, seeds removed
  • 1 orange, peeled
  • 1 stalk celery
  • ½" piece of fresh ginger
  • 1 large carrot
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste
  1. Juice all ingredients except the lemon juice. Stir together, taste and add lemon juice as desired. Enjoy!

1 Maryea {happy healthy mama} January 30, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I love green juice with lemon and ginger! It’s so fresh-tasting. I just have a basic Jack LaLanne juicer, but it works well enough. I just don’t like the task of cleaning it, so I don’t break it out enough! Hope you are feeling better soon.
Maryea {happy healthy mama} recently posted..vegan chunky monkey chocolate pudding

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Yes! I don’t like that part either :( Although if I do it right away it isn’t too bad(or that’s what I keep telling myself).

Thank you!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 31, 2014 at 8:26 am

I’m going on day 4 of a nasty head cold. Woke up feeling a tad bit better but definitely not cured. Making this later today! I never actually write down what I throw in my juicer, it’s usually whatever is on hand. Mostly green and then an apple or orange to sweeten things up :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..BBQ black bean tortilla pizza

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I don’t usually write it down either, but I’ve had a few juicing fails in the last little while so when I stumbled on this combo of things I usually always have on hand I scribbled it down so I wouldn’t forget 😀 This one is too sweet for my liking but I haven’t felt like eating apples or oranges so I wanted to throw both in :) Nothing some lemon can’t fix! I hope it helps you as much as it helped me and hope you’re feeling better soon!

5 Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 15, 2014 at 8:44 am

You know I don’t like my veggies so I’d love to be able to try this! I once bought a vegetable drink from the store, tried a sip and it was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten. Even my veggie loving husband couldn’t drink it!

Anyway, hope you all are healthy now! :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies (whole grain, dairy-free)

6 Kristen April 6, 2015 at 10:22 am

@Heidi – do you have the nutritional facts breakdown for this recipe?? Trying to add it to my FitnessPal tracker :)?

7 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 23, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Hi Kristen, I’m sorry I don’t but you should be able to add the recipe to myfitnesspal and then you can get the nutritional info that way :)

8 Renata June 3, 2015 at 5:15 am

About juicers, do any of you know the Norwalk juicer? Have any of you or any one you know tried it yet? I need to know if it works well… Want to use it in Brazil.

9 Ellie June 7, 2015 at 1:04 am

Can’t wait to try this,I’ve had shingles then came down with the flu so deffo need something to give me a kick start lol x

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 7, 2015 at 9:05 am

Aww, I hope you feel better soon!

{ 3 trackbacks }