Rich and creamy cheddar broccoli soup is the best way to eat your broccoli 🙂
How is everyone doing in the new year? I realize we’re already a week in, but can you believe it’s 2014 yet? I’ll be dating everything 2013 for months still 🙂 Anyways, does anyone have food related New Years resolutions this year? I think everyone takes a little time to get back into regular eating after the holidays, which is something I’m still doing, going heavy on the green smoothies and veggies and lighter on the grains and sugar.
I’ve also been trying to be conscious of how much I use cheese because it’s the easy route to getting everyone to eat what’s in front of them in our house, but not always the healthiest option. I did make an exception for this soup. Twice! So good! And did I mention super fast to make? It’s the perfect quick meal in a bowl!
Of course if you’re looking for a lighter option you may absolutely try lower fat milk and cheese, but I can’t guarantee it. This soup is amazing as is. I’d much rather eat a smaller portion of it just like this than reduce the fat and eat more of it. Just my $.02 though 🙂
So, I feel like I’m getting a bit of a late start, starting a week into January, but I’ll be back soon with some more recipes to help you out with any clean eating or healthier eating resolutions you may have. Please feel free to let me know if there are any specific recipes you’d like me to work on! And just remember, if you do make a mistake or lose your way, don’t feel bad, just get back on track! We all have to start somewhere, whether it’s January 1, two months from now or tomorrow. Just keep going, you can accomplish your goals!
Cheddar Broccoli Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium sized yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 cup flour whole grain is fine
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups veggie stock
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 4-5 cups broccoli cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8.5 oz shredded aged cheddar cheese plus more to top if desired
- In a large pot melt the butter. Once hot, add the onion and saute for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the flour and mustard powder. Whisk together so that the butter and flour is completely incorporated and cook for a couple minutes.
- Add the milk, stock, nutmeg and bay lead and bring to a boil. Add the carrot and broccoli and turn down to a simmer. Simmer just until the veggies are cooked to your liking then add the cheese and remove the soup from the heat. Stir the cheese into the soup until melted, then serve and enjoy!
Comments & Reviews
Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today says
I love to add cheddar to soups, it gives a special flavour and texture. Your soups sounds delicious.
Happy New Year! Soup is totally my jam this time of year, I can’t get enough!
Charlotte Moore says
I have never made or eaten broccoli soup, but this looks so good. I saved this recipe.