Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on February 4, 2014

Thank goodness mornings around our house aren’t too difficult. I’m not exactly a morning person.  I think I’ve become a morning person out of necessity, but some mornings take a little extra effort. Between packing lunches and getting everyone dressed and ready to be out the door for the bus stop including myself, breakfast kind of gets pushed to the back burner.  That’s where baked oatmeal comes in.

If you’ve never experienced baked oatmeal, you’re missing out. Go try it now.  It’s not the most time saving recipe ever, but the leftovers are what make this recipe amazing.   This recipe in particular is so good I even packed it in my sons lunch two days in a row(and there was disappointment on the third day when it was all gone). You see, the awesome thing about baked oatmeal is that it holds it’s shape once it’s cooled. You can of course scoop it while it’s hot and it’ll be just as delicious and amazing, but I really love baked oatmeal after it’s had a chance to sit in the fridge and then you can slice it into nice neat little squares.  And strangely enough it’s just a delicious cold as it is warmed up.  I highly recommend a square of this straight from the fridge on a really rushed morning.

After I added a dollop of Greek yogurt to mine I couldn’t help but think of how yummy a spoon full of peanut butter would taste on top of this oatmeal for breakfast. Mmm.  Next time I will be doubling the recipe for sure so it lasts a little longer, and will be adding peanut butter to my bowl :)

But even just on it’s own I think you’ll fall in love with this oatmeal.  Enjoy!

Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Yield: 6-8 servings
  • 2 C old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 C milk(I prefer almond milk)
  • 1 C mashed bananas
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ C honey or pure maple syrup
  • ½ C chocolate chips
  • ½ C chopped walnuts, optional
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by lightly greasing.
  2. In a bowl combine all the ingredients and stir together well. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake for 35-38 minutes until golden. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
If you want to limit the amount of chocolate for breakfast feel free to just sprinkle the top with chocolate chips instead of mixing ½ cup in.

You can also add up to a half a cup of dried fruit to this if you'd like!

1 Nicole Williams February 4, 2014 at 5:15 pm

This sounds soooo good, I can’t wait to try it! Do you think it would be possible to mix everything up the night before and then just throw it in the oven in the morning?

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 8, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t tried that, but yes, I have heard that it works! Let me know how it works :)

3 Maryea {happy healthy mama} February 5, 2014 at 4:59 am

This looks perfect. Yes, I totally agree that baked oatmeal is ideal for the leftovers. Gotta make a big batch!
Maryea {happy healthy mama} recently posted..grain-free salmon cakes or salmon nuggets

4 Sharon February 5, 2014 at 8:36 am

Heidi, this looks so good! I love oatmeal and this is such a great way to cook it once and enjoy it all week! Great idea. :)
Sharon recently posted..Baked Honey Mustard Chicken

5 Megan February 5, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Don’t you just love baked oatmeal – or boatmeal? It is so good right out of the oven, and even better the next day!
Megan recently posted..Lemon Blackberry Muffins – Vegan and GF

6 Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 15, 2014 at 8:42 am

But what does baked oatmeal taste like? I don’t like oatmeal (the normal mushy kind). Does this taste just like a firmer version? Hmm. I can’t imagine what it’d taste like! I guess I should just try. 😉
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies (whole grain, dairy-free)

7 Corrin Radd June 11, 2014 at 7:57 am

Made this for breakfast, with raisins, without the chocolate–good stuff!

8 Christina June 16, 2014 at 7:54 am

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes! This oatmeal recipe is a favorite here and I can’t wait to try more.

9 sarah July 5, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I have just made this and am SO happy with the result! It is absolutely delicious! perfect consistency and so tasty. Thanks for the recipe! :)

10 Alena September 17, 2015 at 4:52 am

I’ve just popped this into the oven and already it smells amazing! I can’t wait to have a slice with my coffee tomorrow morning (or a midnight snack before bed). Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!
Alena recently posted..No-bake Chocolate Fridge Slice (GF + Vegan)

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 17, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Awesome! Let me know what you think of it :)

12 Alena September 20, 2015 at 2:37 am

It was deliciously moorish =)
Alena recently posted..No-bake Chocolate Fridge Slice (GF + Vegan)

13 Jaime October 4, 2015 at 3:56 am

So. I want to try this, but I’m wondering if it is soggy at all like oatmeal. I can’t eat oatmeal because I have a mushy and soggy complex…does it dry out a bit with baking?!
Jaime recently posted..Paris Brunch Club Takes Rome!

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 4, 2015 at 9:19 am

It does actually dry out a little! Without actually being dry, if that makes sense. It definitely doesn’t turn to mush like some oatmeal. If you give it a try let me know what you think! :)

15 annabel godfray October 4, 2015 at 6:00 am

I couldn’t see how long the banana oatmeal keeps for

16 Jodi October 4, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Love this recipe. It is in the oven – but a modified version. I forgot to buy bananas so I substituted 1/2 cup apple sauce plus one half of a chopped apple. Left off the chocolate chips and added more cinnamon. Smells like warm oatmeal apple pie in the oven. Can’t wait to taste it on this beautiful fall afternoon.

Thanks for sharing.

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Yum! That sounds like a yummy variation! Let me know how it turns out! :)