Delicious roasted red pepper quinoa with tangy feta cheese stuffed inside a portobello mushroom. Perfect as a side dish or a vegetarian main dish!
Experimenting with mushrooms is not something I do often. My son(who devoured one of these to himself) and I love mushrooms, but so far my girls don’t particularly enjoy them. And my husband definitely will not touch them. So they aren’t really something I make for the whole family. I do enjoy them though, and I’m still in love with roasted red peppers and feta cheese since this pasta so the last time portobellos came on sale I knew what I wanted to do! And here it is 🙂
Thankfully for me, this recipe only makes two. And with V-day coming up, 2 might just be the perfect sized recipe for you 😉 At least I’m hoping. I like it when things work out like that.
Either way, this recipe could be scaled up(or possibly even down?) depending on the number of mushroom lovers in your house. This obviously makes an amazing vegetarian(and gluten free!) main dish but it could just as easily be served as a side as well.
I was hoping to post at least one sweet recipe before Valentines, but my very poor planning strikes again. I’m really not cut out to be a blogger that posts for all the holidays. By the time I’m inspired to write about and cook for a holiday it’s almost over. But if you’re looking for some yummy V-day inspiration check out this post 🙂
And for more info about cooking quinoa, check out this post on How to Cook Quinoa!
Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Quinoa Stuffed Portobellos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- '2 small cloves of garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 roasted red pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms stems and gills removed
- In a small pot heat the oil over medium heat. Lightly saute the garlic and shallot for a minute or two before adding the quinoa(after rinsing if not using pre-rinsed quinoa). Add the tomato paste, roasted red pepper, water and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes while preparing the mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once the stems and gills are removed from the mushrooms drizzle the tops of the mushrooms with olive oil and place top side down on a baking sheet.
- Add the feta and parsley to the quinoa and stir well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, then stuff the mushrooms with the mixture. Place in the hot oven and bake for 20 minutes until the mushrooms are softened. Enjoy!