Crunchy, tangy, salty and spicy, this salsa will be your go-to in the winter months since the main ingredient is cabbage! Maybe you’ve tried this delicious salsa before at your favorite Mexican food restaurant, but now you can make it at home!
It’s time for something a little different around here! I’ve realized that I love salsa, but have never shared a salsa recipe here! How is that possible? And I will be sharing my favorite fresh tomato salsa with you when it’s summer and there are tomatoes everywhere, but for now, I’ll be sticking to this incredibly delicious cabbage salsa.
If you’ve already tried this before at a Mexican food restaurant then you already know it’s good! But if you haven’t, don’t let the cabbage scare you off! The cabbage makes this so nice and crunchy and it takes on the flavors around it, garlic, lime and jalapeno. Yum! Around here we refer to this as our winter salsa. While I do can salsa in the summer that we eat throughout the year I really do like fresh salsa and especially fresh tomatoes. Being spoiled by having beautiful fresh tomatoes in our garden all summer I have a really hard time buying tomatoes from the grocery store but buying just a few for this salsa beats buying a lot of tomatoes for a tomato based salsa. So this is our winter salsa! 🙂
Now, you’ll find that this recipe makes quite a bit. You can of course, make a smaller batch, but it does last very well in the fridge, I’d say at least a week. So keep it in the fridge to snack on with your favorite corn chips. It’s delicious on tacos and I haven’t tried it, but I’m thinking it would go great on a spicy burger too.
So I know most of my readers are American, so I have to tell you, here in Canada, at least small town Canada, we don’t have Mexican restaurants like there are in the States. We live just a short drive from the border though and visited a Mexican restaurant there once. We had this salsa and my husband said I had to make it at home and I have been ever since 🙂 And now you can make it at home too! Enjoy!
- ½ a large head of cabbage, core removed and shredded
- 1 medium sized red onion, finely diced
- 2-3 medium sized ripe tomatoes
- 2-4 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped(leave the seeds in for more heat!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- The juice of 2-3 limes
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large bowl combine the shredded cabbage, red onion, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers and garlic.
- Squeeze the juice of 2-3 limes over top and stir together.
- Season with salt as desired.
- Taste and add more lime juice and/or salt to taste.
- This can be served immediately, but is better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours. Stir before serving.