Delicious, chocolate fruit and nut energy bars flavored with pure unsweetened cocoa powder and the natural flavor of oranges. Perfect for on the go or whenever you have a chocolate craving! Naturally paleo and vegan.
This recipe might still be a little festive… I was planning on sharing it before Christmas, but as usual, time got away from me, and now here I am, almost mid-January posting this recipe.
But I will say these are delicious AND healthy, so I’m not so sure it’s actually a problem that I’m posting these now 🙂
Now, who doesn’t like the chocolate and orange combination? I just love it!
I have to say, I much prefer the natural orange flavors to any extracts or fake orange flavorings though. The orange zest and juice in these delicious little bites is just perfect!
These were adapted from my ever-popular raw vegan coconut brownies, which are still some of my favorites. If you think you’d be a fan of the coconut more than orange then please do give those a try instead! Both of these are so good!
And I have to say, perfect for when you’re craving a little something sweet or for a little boost of energy. I like cutting these into small pieces, like 2 bite-fulls. But if you prefer, they make great larger bars as well.
They also stay good for a long time (especially if kept in the fridge) not that they’ll last that long! Enjoy!
Chocolate Orange Larabar Bites
- 2 cups nuts (I like to use almonds and walnuts)
- 2 cups soft dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt
- Zest of 2 large navel oranges
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Prepare a loaf pan by lining with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, first grind just the nuts until no large pieces remain. Remove from the food processor and set aside.
- Add the dates to the food processor and blend until no individual pieces remain and the dates form a "dough". Break the dough up with a knife and sprinkle the ground up nuts, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and orange juice and zest over top. Process again until all the ingredients are fully combined and the dough is starting to stick together.
- Pour the dough into the prepared loaf pan and press down firmly. Lift out using the plastic wrap or parchment paper and slices into bars or bites. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days or in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.