Well hello! You may have noticed I took last week off. What started the week before with us all just not feeling well turned into some awful flu or virus of some kind. On top of that(or before, I’m not really sure when one thing started and another ended) I had my first, and hopefully last round with mastitis. I spent an entire day in bed, and if you have kids – let alone 3 of them – you know you must be really sick if that ever happens. I seriously don’t remember that ever happening since having kids! It was a ridiculously depressing week and I am so glad it’s over.
Speaking of depressing, how about the opposite…. It’s amazing how good it feels to workout after you’ve been so sick! I’ve been on that post-workout high all day and it is so awesome. I’ve missed it so much. It’s hard getting back into the swing of things after having all the energy zapped out of you, but that high is so worth it!
Not to mention how good it feels to get back into the kitchen! I literally had no energy to even cook the simplest thing for days so I’m making up for it now 🙂 I did make these muffins before we all got sick though so these were awesome to have waiting in the freezer. Just a few seconds in the microwave and they were a perfect quick snack.
Of course the original recipe is a more normal bran muffin, but I love bites of fresh fruit in muffins so I decided to try out some apple. These muffins are incredibly moist as it is, but even more so with fresh apple in them. Yum!
So now that we’re all pretty much feeling better, I have a bazillion to-do’s before my wisdom teeth come out next week. Thanks for all your reassuring words. I’m a little less scared now 🙂 I have baking to do and so many recipes to test, I know I wont get through it all, but at least I’m feeling creative and motivated, right? I love feeling like that!
Apple Cranberry Bran Muffins
- 3/4 C boiling water
- 1 1/4 C wheat bran divided
- 3/4 C dried cranberries
- 1/2 C raw sugar or brown sugar, coconut/palm sugar
- 1/4 C oil
- 2 1/2 C white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 C buttermilk or milk with a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 3 C fresh firm apples, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line or grease 2 muffin tins(only if baking muffins immediately).
- In a small mixing bowl combine the boiling water with 3/4 C bran and stir well. Stir in the cranberries and oil and set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with the buttermilk(or milk mixed with lemon juice or vinegar) and orange juice. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients along with the remaining 1/2 C of bran and the bran-cranberry mixture. Mix well. At this point you can cover the mixture and refrigerate overnight and bake the muffins in the morning if desired.
- Gently fold in the chopped apple and divide the batter between 24 muffin cups(for smaller muffins) or as little as 20 for larger muffins(increase bake time slightly for larger muffins)
- Place in the oven and bake for 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely or serve while still warm.