I hope you like spicy food! I don’t know why, but I go through phases where I just need something spicy. Of course with little kids and a hubby that doesn’t really do spicy food I don’t make anything too spicy on a regular basis, but sometimes I just need a little something spicy. I even put a little sriracha into some homemade veggie (baked!) spring rolls the other day and while I thought it wasn’t enough to really notice, my 5 year old sure let me know it wasn’t OK. Oops. On a side note, my 5 year old that will eat anything complained while my sometimes picky 3 year old scarfed them down. I’m not sure what that means.
Moving on! These are so much fun. Come on, who doesn’t love a bite sized appetizer? Or you know, a whole bunch of bite sized things for a meal or snack. And the fact that they’re buffalo flavored just makes me swoon. But I always see buffalo paired with chicken so I thought I’d do a vegetarian twist on that and use white beans instead. Yummy!
I dipped these lovelies in some Greek yogurt ranch dressing(which I will share the recipe for soon now that I have fresh herbs!) but I think something with blue cheese would be great too, obviously. On the other hand, I did make some of these vegan so a different dipping sauce may be in order if that’s the route you’re going to go.
Wanna know the best thing about baking quinoa? Crispy edges! Even the white beans in these get a little crispy if they’re near the edges. Yum!
So… even though I feel like I should, I’m not even going to attempt to say anything about the little break I went on. Again. After I said I was back. Sorry! Instead I’m just going to get back to regular posting and pretend like it never happened.
In the spirit of that I’d like to direct your attention to the ways to subscribe to Food Doodles. I’m sure you all know Google Reader is leaving us. Being the awful procrastinator that I am, I just switched over to Feedly recently and I am loving it. If rss is not your thing you can always subscribe by email(and only receive one email whenever I post something new). You can also subscribe through Bloglovin if you’d like. You can of course like Food Doodles on Facebook or follow on Twitter, but those aren’t the best methods of subscribing especially since you may not see all my content if you try to “subscribe” using Facebook. As always, thank you for supporting Food Doodles!
Buffalo White Bean Quinoa Bites
- 1 C cooked quinoa approx. 1/2C quinoa cooked in 1C water
- 1 C small white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 green onions finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 tbsp flour I used oat flour, use whatever flour you regularly use, whole wheat, GF, etc
- 1/3 C Buffalo sauce I used Franks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 C mozzarella cheese or alternative if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini muffin tin generously and set aside.
- Stir together the cooked quinoa, white beans, garlic, green onions, celery, flour and buffalo sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a spoonful of the buffalo quinoa to each mini muffin cup and press down firmly.
- Place in the oven and bake 20-25 minutes, adding the cheese if desired in the last 5 minutes and then baking just until bubbly. Remove and cool 3-4 minutes before removing.
- For easy removal from the baking tray place a cooling rack on top of the mini muffin tin and simply flip them oven together, the bites should fall out. Simply flip them over and serve.