I’m finally getting my sense of taste back! Yay! I thought just to be safe I’d share something simple so this awesome taco soup came to mind. It’s also a great soup for all those of you with New Years Resolutions too 😉
Of course, the toppings are what make the soup, in my opinion. Of course the base, the soup, is delicious too, but who doesn’t loving the toppings? I usually load it up. Sour cream, cheese, cilantro if I have it or green onions if I don’t. Oh, and the corn chips…
Pile them on! I quite often have corn tortillas in the freezer and these little strips are super easy and fast to make. I included a note in the recipe for you if you want to go that route. Definitely recommended.
In this recipe I used my Homemade Taco Seasoning. It’s so easy to make, so much cheaper to make, and you can customize it however you want! Not to mention it doesn’t contain any funky ingredients and there’s no need to run to the store when you run out 🙂
This soup comes together so fast if you have some squash already chopped up and waiting in the fridge. Unfortunately, the squash does take a while to peel, remove the seeds and then dice up, but with a good peeler and a sharp knife it shouldn’t take too long. I like to have some cubed squash ready to go in the fridge, that way it’s ready to go for things like this or for a quick dinner that needs an extra veggie.
You’ll notice I listed the brown rice in the recipe as optional. I like my soups thick and full of good stuff, almost more like stew than soup. If you prefer your soups a little thinner I’d leave the rice out. Either way it will be great!
Just do not forget your favorite toppings! 😉
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Taco Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 heaping tbsp homemade taco seasoning equal to one package
- 3/4 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 32 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 lb diced butternut squash or about 4 cups
- 2 1/4 C black beans or 1 can drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 C cooked short grain brown rice optional
- grated cheese sour cream, cilantro, avocado, corn chips, green onion, or any other toppings you'd like
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and saute 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and jalapeno pepper and continue to saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, salt,tomatoes and butternut squash. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the squash is the desired tenderness.
- Add the black beans and rice and stir. Heat through and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve with your favorite toppings.