If you love grapefruit, you need to try a broiled grapefruit! With a sprinkle of ginger and brown sugar and just a few minutes under the broiler, you will love this healthy breakfast treat!
Just a quick post for you today! Hope all are having a wonderful holiday season. I don’t know about you but I’m so ready to get back into a healthy routine. Get these sugar cookies out of here 🙂 I’ll gladly trade them for one of these broiled grapefruits. No joke, if you’ve never tried broiling your grapefruit before, do it next time you have a grapefruit!
Of course you don’t have to add any spices, but I enjoy a pinch of ground ginger, or even a pinch of cinnamon like the grapefruit in the background. A tiny amount of grated fresh ginger is an amazing, and spicy addition. But something sweet is the only requirement for broiling a grapefruit. Brown sugar is obviously lovely, but I’ve used honey before and I’ve heard maple syrup is wonderful as well. If you’re looking to shake up your breakfast grapefruit routine or just try something completely new, I hope you’ll give this a try!
Ginger and Brown Sugar Broiled Grapefruit
- 1 grapefruit
- A sprinkle of ground ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Preheat broiler and prepare a baking sheet by lining with foil.
- Cut grapefruit in half and carefully slice each segment out and around the outside with a serrated knife for easy scooping once the grapefruit is done broiling. Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with ground ginger and brown sugar. If the grapefruit doesn't sit evenly a toothpick placed underneath can help even it out.
- Place under the broiler for 3-7 minutes until the sugar is bubbly and maybe even starting to brown. How long the grapefruit needs to broil depends on how close to the broiler and how hot it is, so watch carefully. If desired, add a tiny pinch of salt to the top and enjoy while still warm.