Wonderful bruschetta with cherry tomatoes and a dose of vegetarian protein in the form of lentils. Now bruschetta can be a vegetarian protein filled appetizer or a whole meal!
So all of a sudden I realized that I was missing out on sharing my favorite late summer recipes! I love going to the Farmers Market as soon as it opens in the summer but the time I really, really love the Market is right now. In my opinion all the best produce is available at our local market right now, from the end of summer tomatoes and corn to fall squash and apples and potatoes.
My sister in law got me a large basket to take to the market, and without it I wouldn’t be able to carry all my goodies to the car. A couple weeks ago it was packed with a dozen cobs of corn, 2 small bags of apples, a couple small butternut squashes a huge bunch of basil and 2 baskets of these beautiful little tomatoes. I love this time of year!
So I have some recipes all ready to share with you, but I’m going to share my more summery recipes first(because I have a few pumpkin recipes too, just you wait!) I’ve also been going a little crazy with muffins lately as back to school means muffins! At least to me it does. And then after all that I have so many plans for warm comforting food. We had such a beautiful long summer here, but now it’s already cold. Bring on the warming fall food! 🙂
Look at those tomatoes and that basil! So pretty! I’m not sure where I saw the idea of putting bruschetta and lentils together but it’s a great combination! I can’t even say the lentils were that noticeable in this though(and you can’t see them in the picture above because I hadn’t added them yet:)), so I think next time I make any I’d double the lentils since I made this a meal a couple of times. Great way to sneak in a little vegetarian protein!
For another great lentil recipe, try this awesome looking vegetarian lentil soup!
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt if desired
- 1 cup lentils
- Parmesan cheese to top if desired
- Baguette pita or flatbread to serve
- In a bowl combine the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and lentils. Chiffonade the basil by rolling the leaves up and using a very sharp knife, thinly slice. Add to the mixture and stir together. Let the flavors meld for 30-60 minutes before enjoying and add the salt just before serving and stir together.
- To serve, thinly slice bread or cut pita or flatbread into single serving pieces. Grill or toast the bread and rub with a garlic clove cut in half before topping with bruschetta mixture. Top with a pinch of Parmesan if desired and serve immediately.