I feel like I say this all the time, but today I am so excited to share this tart with you! It’s a soft and sweet whole wheat crust filled with a honey lemon curd and topped off with fresh raspberries. My husband especially loved this, I know I’ll be making it again soon, maybe with some different fruit because what doesn’t go with lemon? 🙂
I’m in love with this lemon curd, first because it’s completely sweetened with honey. It’s tart and tangy, but perfectly sweet and rich like a good lemon curd should be (and I believe you can make it dairy free with coconut oil). This will be my go to lemon curd from now on. And second because it uses whole eggs. I’m not a fan of separating eggs unless I really need to because even though I put the leftover bits in the fridge or even in the freezer they pretty much always get wasted. No waste here! Oh, and third, just look at it! It’s like sunshine! I don’t think there’s a way I could be unhappy when cutting a slice of this.
One little note, the raspberry flavor can’t compete with the lemon curd so if you do want the raspberries to stand out more, you’re going to need to use quite a few more. I didn’t want to slice through any berries and I wanted to be able to show off the gorgeous lemon curd underneath so I only sprinkled a few over top, but I’d recommend serving this tart with a few extra berries.
And the crust is just perfect! I expected it to be hard or tough but it wasn’t at all. It was perfectly soft and tender without being too crumbly. I was so happy with it! I’ll be using it again when I get some more tart inspiration!
I hope you enjoy this little bit of sunshine! 🙂
If you need a gluten-free recipe, try this delicious keto lemon meringue pie!
Raspberry Honey Lemon Curd Tart with Whole Wheat Cookie Crust
- 1 3/4 C white whole wheat flour
- 1/3 C salted butter cut into small cubes and chilled
- 1/3 C sucanat/palm sugar or just brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 C honey
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 C fresh lemon juice
- 6 tbsp butter
- 8 oz fresh raspberries for topping about 1 1/2 cups, plus more for serving, if desired
- For the crust pulse together the flour, salt, sugar and lemon zest in a food processor, or stir together.
- Pulse in the butter(or cut in with a pastry cutter). When the butter resembles small crumbs turn out into a bowl and stir in the egg and milk and mix until combined.
- Roll out, or rip off small pieces to cover the bottom and press into a 10" tart pan and chill until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a piece of parchment over the dough and fill with dry beans. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes then remove the paper and beans and return to the oven to bake for 9-10 more minutes until golden around the edges and dry in the middle. Cool completely before filling.
- For the filling, whisk together the eggs and honey in a pot over low heat. Once combined whisk in the lemon zest, juice and butter.
- Turn up the heat to medium and whisk together while the butter melts. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 5-10 minutes. Then, while still warm pour the mixture through a fine sieve or strainer into the crust(do not skip this step!).
- Cool slightly more before topping with fresh berries then leave tart at room temperature until the filling sets before serving approximately 2 hours.