Loaded Vegetarian Quesadillas

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 14, 2011

Loaded Vegetarian Quesadillas

Do you ever get those days where every time you look at the clock another hour is gone?  I’m having one of those today.  I keep a tally of all the things that still need to be done in the day and today it seems to be getting longer rather than shorter as I get closer to the end of the day.

I guess it was my own fault.  We have a great second hand store in town.  Well, we actually have a few, but the one in particular that I’m thinking of doesn’t usually sell anything for more that a few dollars and it’s always busy so things move fast.  There are good things to be found if you can spend the time looking.  Well, this morning I thought I had the time, so we went.  I bought a few cute dishes(who can pass up 25 cents for a cute plate?  Ok, maybe it’s just me that can’t) and some kids books.  I also bought a very expensive toy for my son.  I whole $3, which is a lot for this particular store.  My toddler now thinks I’m “totally awesome”(especially since I put the car door back on with super glue.  Yay for mom!).  Well… Ok, maybe I’m just a little cool, because I’m sure if I were totally awesome, I would be able to figure out how to make the transformer, actually transform.  I’ll leave that up to daddy, I’m pretty happy with the level of awesome I’ve achieved for today.

Moving right along, I know I’ve mentioned how we usually have tortillas in the house.  This is one of our favorite ways to use them, and my son loves them no matter what veggies they’re packed with.  This is just what we had the other day, the options are really endless, mushrooms, hot peppers, olives, celery, broccoli, zucchini, any kind of veggies as long as they’re chopped fairly small, different cheeses or salsas, etc.

Loaded Vegetarian Quesadillas

Loaded Vegetarian Quesadillas

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 14, 2011 at 8:03 pm

You really can’t go wrong with vegetable-filled quesadillas. These look especially delicious with your homemade tortillas!

2 Bonny June 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Heidi, you ARE a “totally awesome” Mom! And who cares if you don’t get 100% of that chores list done today, there is always tomorrow! Oh and if your hubby can’t get the transformer figured out, tell my nephew he has to bug his “Uncle O” to show him how its done… out of the boys in our family, my hubby was the transformer nut.

That Quesadilla looks fabulous! I’m going to have to try to make some homemade tortillas to make this with though, because store bought ones are gross.

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 14, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Aw thanks, haha. Yep there’s always tomorrow. Quite a few things got bumped till tomorrow, but at least I got all the important things done.

Haha, I quickly figured out that they weren’t Evans’ thing. I got it more figured out than he did. Oh well, at least it’s fun just as a car for now. Maybe in 5 years Verne will be able to do it himself, LOL.

I know what you mean :( It’s impossible to find good ones. If you have a hard time with the tortillas you can always come over sometime and I can help :D

4 Bonny June 15, 2011 at 7:57 am

Ok, I will most likely take you up on the help factor. I think I’m going to try to make them tonight, but if I totally screw it up, I know there are other things to eat in the house… and then I can know where I actually need the help!

Next time there is a family dinner, bring his transformer and Olin says that he will help Verne figure it out… Evan just destroyed Olin’s transformers as a child lol.

5 Maria @ Scandifoodie June 15, 2011 at 12:35 am

Yum, these look so tasty!

6 Ashley @ The Drunk Squash June 15, 2011 at 1:01 am

Man, this makes me want to challenge myself to up my quesadilla game! Usually I’m a lazy “cheese and tortilla” gal, but these veggie quesadillas seem like the way to go. And so great that your son is into them too.

Oh and that thrift store sounds amazing. I’m unfortunately in a city with a lot of hipsters so all of our thrift stores are sooooo overpriced and picked over. I have to drive into the suburbs to get the good deals!

7 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 15, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Go for it! You really can put anything in them. But no worries, sometimes we just go for the plain cheese and tortilla kind too :D

I know what you mean! Some stores just have crazy prices, especially for used stuff. Antiques I can see, but just used stuff, not so much.

8 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 15, 2011 at 4:13 am

These look delicious, I never think to add that variety of veggies to quesadillas when I make them. Yay for good buys at the second hand store!

9 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh June 15, 2011 at 9:32 am

This is such a great staple meal to have when short on time. You can throw about anything into quesadillas :) Yum!!

10 chinmayie @ love food eat June 15, 2011 at 11:39 am

These look great! I have also been making a lot of quesadillas lately. In India we make these whole wheat flat breads called ‘chapatti’ which is what i use! i always have some dough int he refrigerator and can make a few chappatis in minutes!

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I never knew I could keep the dough in the fridge to use at any time. I’ll have to try that out, thank you!

12 madge @ vegetariancasserolequeen June 18, 2011 at 4:46 am

Your quesadillas have inspired me to make some, as well!

Thrift stores are the best, aren’t they? Hmmm, better adding that to my to do list…

13 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Awesome!

They really are! You never know what you’re going to find :D

14 Gosia June 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Oh My! Heidi, these quesadillas are absolutely fantastic. I’m right there with your son – fill them up with “anything” and I’ll eat them. Yours are finger-licking good-looking.
I totally relate to your second hand store quirk. I, too, cannot pass a cute little dish for the pictures to take with. It’s an addiction, my friend, harmless enough, if you have enough storage in your home.
The summer has arrived to the Lower Mainland, but is visiting only shortly, for two days apparently, then it’s back to the regular gloom.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciated them very much. Soon enough I’ll be in Phoenix, and will have plenty of home-made quesadillas myself with tonnes of sunshine to boot.
Where in the BC southern interior are you? I’m in Surrey, BC.
Hugs.
Gosia

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Thank you! I agree, and I do love buying dishes but I’m running out of room already! I think I’ll have to find more room because I don’t think I can stop and eventually, buying one at a time, they’ll pile up!
I think our weather is going to be the same. We’ve had a couple very hot days now and after today I think we’re back to rain and thunderstorms which is so weird for this time of year. I hope my garden will keep growing even though it’s been slow so far.
I guess we’re actually more in the south eastern part of BC in a small town called Creston, it’s an hour west of Cranbrook. I actually grew up just across the bridge from Surrey in Coquitlam :)
Thank you for stopping by!

16 Kate January 31, 2014 at 8:14 am

These look PERFECT for the Super Bowl!