These vegetarian quesadillas are super quick and easy to make. Use whatever vegetables and cheese you have on hand for a delicious, (relatively) healthy meal.
It’s been a while since I last posted. We’ve been sick, more or less, since December. It’s been tough.
I’m still sick so here’s something really quickly before I crawl back to bed.
This is one of those quick meals that are perfect for busy weeknights. You can make refried beans in advance, freeze the leftovers, then just grab some tortillas, veggies and cheese to whip up these veggie quesadillas.
These Vegan Tortillas are my very favorite. They don’t even use any unusual ingredients! They simply use oil instead of lard.
Use whatever vegetables you like! This is just what we had the other day.
The options are really endless: mushrooms, hot peppers, olives, celery, broccoli, zucchini. Almost any kind of veggies works as long as they’re chopped fairly small.
These vegetarian quesadillas are easy to make whole wheat, gluten-free or even grain-free. I wouldn’t recommend omitting the cheese for a vegan version, though.
The cheese helps hold everything together. Plus it makes these quesadillas way more delicious. 😉
For protein + extra flavor, I used refried beans but you can omit that and add more cheese. And if you don’t need these to be vegetarian, some leftover roasted chicken is great in these quesadillas.
For more Mexican-inspired recipes, try my Spicy Jalapeno Cabbage Salsa or Tex-Mex Corn Fritters! And if you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo, or you’re just in the need for a refreshing drink, try this Prickly Pear Margarita.
- 2 tortillas (gluten-free, whole wheat, whatever kind you want)
- 1/2 large carrot grated or chopped finely
- 1 small bell pepper or half a large one, your choice of color, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped onion or 1-2 green onion green and white parts chopped for a milder option
- 1 large handful spinach chopped
- 1/3 cup refried beans
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup grated cheese cheddar or mozzarella or your favorite kind
- 1/2 teaspoon butter for cooking
- Start by heating a pan over medium heat. Spread one tortilla with the refried, then sprinkle lightly with cheese. Sprinkle evenly with all the different veggies. Again sprinkle with cheese, just enough to hold it all together then top with the other tortilla.
- Add 1/2 tsp or so of butter to the hot pan and then put the quesadilla in and cook like a grilled cheese sandwich. Turn the heat down slightly so the ingredients in the middle have a chance to soften before the outside is crispy.
- When the bottom tortilla is golden very carefully flip the quesadilla over to the other side and continue to cook just until the other side is golden.
- Remove from the pan and let cool 3-5 minutes before slicing into quarters or sixths. Serve along side salsa, sour cream or burrito sauce.
Post updated 3/2020. Here’s an old photo: