Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 21, 2011

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

Apparently I’ve been hoarding recipes.  I honestly thought I had nothing to post and I just checked my “to be posted” file on my computer and found a ton of pictures waiting for me to sift through.  So here I am.  I also didn’t just check it, as it’s been a couple hours of sorting, editing and organizing and nap time is almost over now, so I’ll get right to it!

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

As much as I love sweet potato fries and squash “fries” they will never be crunchy like regular old potato fries.  I’m happy with how my oven fries usually turn out and I’m always left feeling a ton better than if we go out for regular crispy crunchy fried fries.  But at the same time, sometimes I just need something crunchy.  Like really, honestly, crunchy, not at all how oven sweet potato fries usually turn out.  Enter these squash fries.  They may not be your typical fries, but they’re crunchy, and they’re exactly what I wanted Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

I really love these.  And what kid can resist something breaded and crunchy like these, even if it is squash in the middle.  Plus, you can adapt these fries to whatever you like.  The same method will work with sweet potatoes, and you can literally use any spices, herbs, and other flavorings that you want.  Or just keep it simple and have some plain fries, just as long as they have enough salt to bring out the yummy squash flavor.

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

I may have taken a bazillion pictures in my excitement.  Keep scrolling Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

Crispy Baked Chili Squash Fries

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 21, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Meghan will rarely eat a cooked vegetable these days as she prefers the crunch of raw. But I think she’d like these with their crunchy exterior. Otherwise she won’t eat squash, so I’ll have to give these a try!
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..I’m such a rebel parent

2 Kathryn November 22, 2011 at 2:55 am

Oh these look wonderful! I love the crunch of the coating and the kick of spice. Delicious!
Kathryn recently posted..salted caramel vodka hot chocolate

3 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum November 22, 2011 at 5:09 am

Wow – love the looks of this one! So creative!
Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum recently posted..Healthy Bacon & Pumpkin Pasta

4 surlykitchen November 22, 2011 at 6:59 am

wow, these look amazing! i can’t wait to try them
surlykitchen recently posted..Thanksgiving

5 Maria @ Orchard Bloom November 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

These look awesome!!
Maria @ Orchard Bloom recently posted..Berry Lemon Pancakes

6 Ashley@BakerbyNature November 25, 2011 at 7:37 am

I’m always craving the crunch these days, what a delicious idea!!
Ashley@BakerbyNature recently posted..Orecchiette with Rapini and Goat Cheese

7 Richa@HobbyandMore November 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

i am loving the look of the fries.. a much healthier option! i am tired of potatoes already:)
Richa@HobbyandMore recently posted..Roasted Delicata squash with Rosemary and olive oil. Vegan, glutenfree

8 Anna @ hiddenponies November 26, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow, these look great, what a good idea for fries! I bet my kids will love these.
Anna @ hiddenponies recently posted..Saturday Sweets: Lemon White Chocolate Sugar Cookies

9 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen November 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Definitely a children pleaser.. just between us adults…

10 susan November 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I love this idea! Cannot wait to add it to my weekly meal plan
susan recently posted..Sweet Potato Pound Cake

11 Vanessa November 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm

What the what!? These look amaaaazing!
Vanessa recently posted..Irish Chocolate Whiskey Ice Candy

12 Marty November 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm

What a great idea. The best sides are those that give that crunch without being deep fried in oil. Love your recipe. I imagine it works with any squash.

13 Justin November 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

They sound great, but I do object slightly to something being called fries when it’s only baked!
Justin recently posted..Roast red pepper, basil and cucumber focaccia

14 leslie November 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Made these tonight. Delicious!!! Very crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. I added parmesan cheese to the Panko. Thanks for sharing!

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 29, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for leaving a comment! The parmesan cheese sounds like a delicious add-in, I’ll have to try that next time :)

16 Amalia Hughes December 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Made this recipe as well, the kids LOVED it ! Thanks for posting, keep them coming !
Amalia Hughes recently posted..Fixodent Coupons can save you money !