Pizza Quinoa Casserole

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on February 16, 2012

So, I kinda love casseroles.  And not too long ago I realized I love baking quinoa.  Sure, it’s cooked in a pot before hand.  And you could probably make this whole thing in the pot and serve it right away, without baking.  But quinoa does something kind of awesome when you bake it.  The edges get crispy, the top gets golden and crunchy.  And it just turns out plain delicious :)

So, I guess technically this would be a side dish.  But I’m not going to lie, I just ate one of these for lunch the day I made them.  Maybe next time I’d chop up some veggies that we usually get on pizza, peppers, more onions or maybe even some spinach and mix it in to make it a little more veggie-full.  Other than that, I totally recommend this as a meal.  Even though I’ve been craving cheese like crazy this pregnancy I actually really liked the one with nutritional yeast.  So if you’re dairy free or vegan, you are not missing out!  Especially since that one got crispier on top from baking, which I love 😀

Although the cheesy one did photograph nicer 😀  I had a seriously hard time narrowing down the pictures.

Pizza Quinoa Casserole
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Yield: 4 servings, as a side
  • 1 C uncooked quinoa cooked in 2 C water or about 3½ C cooked quinoa
  • 1 6oz can tomato paste
  • 3-4 large cloves garlic, finely minced, grated or pressed
  • ½ small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • ½ tsp fennel seed
  • 1 tsp marjoram
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tbsp dried parsley
  • ¼ tsp sugar
  • ¾ – 1 tsp sea salt
  • dash black pepper
  • 3 tbsp nutritional yeast(optional)
  • ½ C mozzarella cheese, to top(optional)
  1. Rinse quinoa well and combine with water in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to low and simmer for 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed, the quinoa is tender and completely cooked. Remove from the heat and leave covered in the pot for 5 minutes while assembling other ingredients.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4 – 1 cup ramekins, 2 – 2 cup dishes or a larger casserole dish, depending on how you want to bake and serve this.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste with the garlic and onion, water and olive oil. Mix well. Add all the seasonings including the nutritional yeast if using. Mix well again before adding the quinoa. Once the mixture is completely mixed, taste for seasonings and add more salt as needed. Then divide evenly among the dishes for baking, sprinkle with cheese if desired and place in the oven. I baked mine in two larger dishes, but this could easily be done in smaller ramekins for individual servings, or in one larger dish.
  4. Bake 30-35 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly or until the quinoa on top is golden and crispy. If desired, sprinkle with more nutritional yeast and fresh basil or parsley and serve.

1 Kathryn February 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

What a great way to serve quinoa!
Kathryn recently posted..lime and blueberry cakes

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I LOVE baking quinoa too, it gets such a fun crunchy texture to it. :) Narrowing down pictures is the hardest part about food blogging I think. I’ve got 32 pictures of roasted chickpeas to go through later…not looking forward to it!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Goat cheese & spinach mashed sweet potatoes

3 Pure2raw twins February 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm

quinoa is the best! so many things you can do with it!! love the pizza flavored idea :)
Pure2raw twins recently posted..doing headstand pose

4 curlsz February 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I would eat this as a main dish, there is so much protein in quinoa that it would be plenty filling

5 Cookie and Kate February 16, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Great idea! I really love lentils with tomato sauce. I will have to try quinoa pizzas next.
Cookie and Kate recently posted..Stovetop Popcorn with Chili Powder and Dark Chocolate

6 Marsha @ The Harried Cook February 16, 2012 at 8:02 pm

What a wonderful way to make quinoa! It looks absolutely delicious! And I love the photographs :) Thanks for sharing!
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Red Velvet Ice Cream

7 Richa@HobbyandMore February 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm

love this idea! what could be better than combining quinoa and pizza!
Richa@HobbyandMore recently posted..Spiced Oat Almond Gluten-free Cake, in Strawberry Nuts Goji berry parfait. Vegan GF gum-free

8 em February 17, 2012 at 4:40 am

This looks delish, and I bet it’s a great way to introduce quinoa to kiddos, too. I love that you used nutritional yeast!
em recently posted..substitution

9 vianney February 17, 2012 at 6:07 am

Great idea, pizza kids would love this!!
vianney recently posted..Orange Persimmon Margarita

10 Heather February 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

You are so brilliant; baked quinoa. pizza style!

I am totally making this and ramping up the veggies like you mentioned; I cannot wait to try this!

11 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Whoa! What a fantastic idea!! Brilliant!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Eggplant Parmesan

12 Kristina @ Love and Zest February 17, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Wow! Talk about scrumptious. I will be making this next week. Thanks for the inspiration!

13 Rawkinmom February 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm

just had quinoa tonight!! This looks yummy!!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..The World’s Greatest Black Bean Burger

14 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 17, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Oh my word, this is genius!! Looks delicious!! This will make a fab weekend meal!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Lemon Love Notes

15 Nora @ Natural noshing February 18, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I love ANYTHING pizza! I am totally making this! Looks amazing Heidi!
Nora @ Natural noshing recently posted..Midnight Fudge

16 Jane February 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

This looks awesome! I love quinoa, I use it all the time!
Jane recently posted..Cauliflower Broccoli Soup with Blue Cheese

17 Eat Good 4 Life February 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Wow, this looks really healthy, delicious and comforting. What a great idea using the quinoa. I haven’t used it in a while but maybe now I will :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Eggless tiramisu

18 Cara February 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I’ve never baked quinoa and now I’m really curious about this magical quality you claim it takes on. This looks so hearty and delicious!
Cara recently posted..Sunday Funday – February 19th, 2012

19 Sooze20miles February 20, 2012 at 6:48 am

I made this for dinner last night – fabulous recipe!! I added some green peppers to the mix, but otherwise followed the recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

20 kitchenriffs February 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

Great recipe. Good flavor, and a healthier way to enjoy pizza flavor. Very creative – thanks for this.
kitchenriffs recently posted..Braised Belgian Endive

21 ohkeeka [The Type A Housewife] February 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I love casseroles too. And quinoa! It totally makes a good meal since it has protein in it. I wish I was eating this for dinner tonight instead of leftovers…
ohkeeka [The Type A Housewife] recently posted..Recipe | Truffled Mashed Potato Gratin

22 Katie@Cozydelicious February 20, 2012 at 6:45 pm

This is SUCH a great idea! I love quinoa but have never thought to makit it into a casserole – and your description of crispy edges has me drooling! I think I might add some sauteed peppers and maybe mushrooms to mine as well.

23 Nicole, RD February 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

Sometimes, I think we were separated at birth with our all too similar palates. This looks SOOOO good. Quinoa doesn’t knock my socks off as is, but in pizza casserole form!? YES, PLEASE!!!

24 Caitlin February 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm

this looks delicious! i need to make this!
Caitlin recently posted..Ice Cream Cake

25 JK February 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

What a great idea!! I’m always looking for ways to keep quinoa exciting!!!

26 Christina February 26, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Any idea on the nutritional info for this? I’m thinking of making this for dinner along side a simple salad for me and my roomies tonight. Let me know if you have the details!

27 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Sorry, I don’t. But you can use a calculator, like this one if you want to find out!

28 Christina February 26, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Then I shall! Thanks :)

29 Christina February 26, 2012 at 1:54 pm

FYI, one serving (if this makes 4) comes out to be about: 285 calories, 39g carbs, 11g fat, 9g protein, 5g fiber, and 7g sugar :)

30 Kibby February 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

This was delicious! I added some red peppers, asparagus, arugula, extra onion, and topped mine off with goat cheese. WONDERFUL! Thanks for recipe.

31 Sonja @ A Couple Cooks February 28, 2012 at 6:59 am

Oh, what a great idea! Did you have an inspiration, or was this your own creation?

32 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

I got the idea to bake it like a casserole from a stuffed squash recipe I have that we’ve just been baking in a dish instead of squash. Actually my mother in law was the one who did that, so I guess she’s my inspiration for this idea 😀

33 Erica October 1, 2012 at 9:20 am

This has become one of my go-to recipes. Thanks!

34 Laura February 7, 2013 at 9:06 am

Hey there, what do you mean by “1 6oz can tomato paste”, is it 1,6 oz or 16 oz ? (sorry I’m french, I’m not used to this system at all !)

35 kates February 17, 2013 at 8:04 am

She means one can that is six ounces.

36 Kara February 19, 2013 at 8:08 am

My husband and I loved this recipe! He thought it was so fun and something a little different. Thanks for the great idea!

37 alison March 24, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Just made this and it was delicious! I added grated parmesean into the leftovers which made it even better!

38 Jordyn July 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm

This is a delicious recipe! I have made it twice plus right this moment I have it in the oven. Last time I made it I added fresh mozz to the mix, simply because I needed to use it before it went bad and extra cheesy goodness is always good! This time I chopped up a full zucchini and added it. I love zucchini so I’m excited to see how it tastes with veggies. In love! Thanks for posting this.

39 Matt August 12, 2013 at 5:53 pm

This was awesome! Thought it could turn out dry but it was not at all. Best quinoa recipe I’ve ever made.
I added:
1 squash sliced thin
4 mushrooms sliced thin
1 tablespoon sriracha sauce

Turned out amazing!

40 Noreen February 17, 2014 at 7:08 am

I came across this recipe when I was searching for vegan quinoa recipes and was immediately intrigued by the idea. I made it and just about licked the plate clean! I plan on making it again tonight and tossing in a few leftover mushrooms as well. Thanks!

41 Diane in Wisconsin March 31, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Just love this recipe and you can add whatever you’re cravin’ Thank you

42 Marguerite November 8, 2014 at 7:02 am

Casserole looks healthy and great quinoa

{ 9 trackbacks }