Chocolate Orange Avocado Pudding

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on February 21, 2012

So just a quick recipe from me today.  I’ve been all about the chocolate lately, which is not a bad thing in my opinion.  But I’ve also been trying to get more healthy fats in my diet and my hair and skin have been loving avocados.  Which is weird, because I usually don’t crave avocados.  They’re good, but not my favorite.  Made into the smoothest, most amazing chocolate pudding though?  Yeah, I’m craving this!

I do realize chocolate avocado pudding has been done before and I’ve been seeing it literally everywhere lately.  I can’t believe I haven’t tried it until recently.  I’m telling you, don’t wait to try it!  My inspiration for the orange came from this post by With Style and Grace but I ended up not following any particular recipe.  Although there are only so many variations to a simple recipe that I’m sure mine is very similar to a lot.

Of course, not all avocados are the same size.  The ones I used were fairly small, but if you taste your pudding and taste avocado, you just need a little more cocoa powder(and then possibly some more sweetener).  Let me warn you, this stuff is addictive.  It lasts just fine in the fridge for a couple days, although the surface will get darker and a little bit of liquid may separate, but I just stir it all back together with a spoon and it’s just as delicious.

I’m a little afraid to admit that I couldn’t resist it for breakfast one morning.  But then again, I’m not sure what, if anything is wrong with that 😀

The orange flavor isn’t very pronounced so if that’s what you want, you could try adding a little very finely grated orange zest to the food processor, but just a small amount.  This was exactly how I enjoyed it and wouldn’t change it next time.  Although next time I think I’ll move onto other flavors 🙂

Just a quick note though, that I’m not quite sure how to explain…  This pudding is rich, but not rich like your typical dairy(and possibly egg) filled pudding, especially since using juice instead of milk for the liquid.  So if you’re not used to that difference and haven’t tried avocado pudding before, I recommend using any kind of milk, even a non-dairy milk as long as it’s unsweetened, for the liquid.  That being said, I’ve gotten used to a little more dairy lately, but I still loved this.

1 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 21, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love the addition of orange here. Orange and chocolate go so well together. I’d definitely add a little zest!

2 Jacklyn | aBitterSweetWife February 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This is the craziest, most amazing thing I have ever heard of! Pudding made from avocados?! Yes please! Your awesome.
Jacklyn | aBitterSweetWife recently posted..Mini Pesto Chicken Pot Pies

3 em February 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

this looks delicious. i’ve also seen recipes for avocado pudding but have yet to try it.
em recently posted..substitution

4 Becky @ TOHG February 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Like these pictures – good use of an orange slice. Avocado as the pudding base, now that’s something I’d like to try!
Becky @ TOHG recently posted..Recipe Redux: Chocolate Love is in the Air

5 Marsha @ The Harried Cook February 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Yummy! I love the avocado as the base of this pudding… And I like that the orange isn’t too pronounced = that’s exactly how I like it! I love avocados in dessert… Thanks for sharing this recipe! The pictures are just GORGEOUS! 🙂
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Dried Blueberry Scones

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

This is one of those things I see everywhere but have never tried! Maybe I’ll finally get the courage with the avocado on my counter right now. I love the orange combo you did with this version.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Strawberry basil milkshake

7 lynn @ the actor's diet February 21, 2012 at 9:57 pm

i haven’t had avocado pudding in forever!
lynn @ the actor’s diet recently posted..Slim Tuesday

8 Kathryn February 22, 2012 at 2:50 am

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pudding for breakfast! Especially when it looks so delicious!
Kathryn recently posted..lemon polenta cake

9 Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 22, 2012 at 5:53 am

I’ve been eating chocolate avocado pudding every day for breakfast since I discovered it a few weeks ago and don’t think there’ anything wrong with that at all. 🙂

Your version sounds amazing. I will definitely be making this soon! I’ll let you know how it turns out.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Wheat King Cake

10 Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 22, 2012 at 6:19 am

I didn’t wait very long. I had an avocado that I thought was going bad so I just had to make this. 🙂

I made it as written and it was fantastic! But then I thought how nice it would be to get rid of those frozen grapes that have been taking up so much space since last summer. Don’t do this. Frozen grapes in silky avocado pudding don’t mix.

Thanks for a new pudding recipe!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Wheat King Cake

11 Jane February 22, 2012 at 7:13 am

This sounds awesome! I don’t think there is anything wrong with this pudding for breakfast either!
Jane recently posted..Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins

12 chinmayie @ love food eat February 22, 2012 at 7:27 am

It looks so yummy! I really am tempted to make this!
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Cocoa Millet Crackers

13 sally February 22, 2012 at 7:49 am

I would never guess that pudding has avocado in it–it looks so rich and delicious. What a great alternative to dairy-based pudding.
sally recently posted..“Almost No-Knead” Bread

14 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

What a fabulous recipe! I love regular chocolate avocado pudding, love the flavor of orange added. And it looks beautiful!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Molasses Spice Cookie DoughTruffles

15 Allison February 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I have always wanted to try this but have been a little afraid. Looks great though so I may have to take the plunge. Wonder if you could substitute a different flavour like a liqueur? Have you tried that?
Allison recently posted..Toffee Chocolate Pretzel Cookies

16 Amy @ Gastronome Tart February 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Where have I been? To be honest I have never heard about avocado and chocolate pudding before! Sounds and looks delicious. This I will be trying for sure.
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Healthy Italian Wedding Soup with Kale

17 Rachel Pie February 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Yummy. I love orange & chocolate. I am working on a Kumquat chocolate cheesecake. Stop by and visit me!

18 kyleen February 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Avocado and chocolate is such a great idea! I actually made a vegan torte a couple months ago. This post reminds me that I need to make another one.
kyleen recently posted..Friday.

19 Stephanie February 22, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Wow this looks so rich and delicious! I’d probably do it with milk cus I adore dairy but I’m totally going to use your orange zest suggestion
Stephanie recently posted..Pinwheel Cake Tutorial

20 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} February 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Whoa!!! Avocado in pudding? Never heard of this genius creation!! Love it!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Nutella Baklava

21 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen February 23, 2012 at 3:31 am

I’m always all about chocolate, so any way I can get it into my diet in a healthy way I’m all for!
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Homemade Flax and Hemp Seed Crackers | Grain-Free and Gluten-Free

22 Margherita February 23, 2012 at 8:11 am

Avocado and chocolate: a win-win marriage!!
Great recipe. Gonna try to make this weekend.
Love&Light
Margherita
Margherita recently posted..Wanna Get Smarter? Do More Cardio!

23 Heather February 23, 2012 at 8:48 am

WOW where have I been; I have seen ice cream made with avocados but not pudding- this looks so good!
Heather recently posted..maikate mushroom crostini

24 Melissa @ Dash of East February 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

This pudding looks amazing. And made with avocados! Heck yeah – healthy! Looks delicious
Melissa @ Dash of East recently posted..White Chocolate Samoas | Girl Scout Cookie Phenomenon

25 thelittleloaf February 27, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’ve never tried it but am completely fascinated by the idea of avocado in puddings… I love avocado in savoury dishes and can imagine it lends a lovely creaminess. Ok, I’m going to have to try this and find out! 🙂
thelittleloaf recently posted..Tea & Biscuit Ice Cream with a Salty Caramel Swirl

26 Patricia February 28, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Awesome! I’ve tried avocado pudding before & need to make it again. Since we have some oranges on our tree, I especially love your addition of orange!
Beautiful pictures, too : )

27 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} March 1, 2012 at 9:35 am

i’d eat this pudding without thinking twice. I love both avocados and chocolate and the idea of pairing them makes me droll instantly!
Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} recently posted..Chocolate Swirl Bread

28 Carissa March 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love the honey as a sweetener. I tried an avocado pudding recipe that used dates and we just couldn’t get the last little bits to puree properly. So it was creamy with flecks of chewy date, which wasn’t great texturewise. Honey would be perfect!
Carissa recently posted..Sunrise

29 Eat good 4 life March 11, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am so making this. I am going to wait until the avocados ripe and I will give it a go perhaps adding some cointreau for the grown ups 🙂
Eat good 4 life recently posted..White Chocolate popcorn

30 Eat Good 4 Life March 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

I just made it. It is amazing especially with the triple sec and grated orange zest. We love it!! Will let you know when I post the recipe in my blog. I will mentioned you for sure 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..White Chocolate popcorn

31 Eat Good 4 Life March 12, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I just posted my version. Thanks for the terrific recipe 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Dark chocolate and orange avocado pudding

32 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 12, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yay, I am so glad you liked it!! Off to check out your version 😀

33 Amrit February 8, 2013 at 6:27 pm

i just made it, thankyou, everyone loved it.

i added to your recipe, 4tablespoons of thick cocconut cream!

and served with fresh blackberries, the extra flavour combinations were great.

{ 3 trackbacks }