Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on May 16, 2012

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

Have you ever made a raw brownie?  Or any kind of raw dessert?  Of course they’re different in taste and texture, and it’s not like I don’t enjoy the real deal, buttery and sugary brownies(even if I do like them a little less sweet now), but I will gladly choose these as a very healthy replacement for everyday chocolate cravings and save the real brownies for only very special occasions.

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

That being said, these are just as cravable as traditional brownies, maybe even more so since they’re filled with so much more nutrition than a traditional brownie.  I honestly can’t think of anything bad about these except that they’re way too easy to make!

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

Need more to convince you?  These are no-bake!  So simple to throw together, they’ll quite literally take you 5 minutes to throw together(even if you have kids hanging off 3 out of 4 limbs, it might only take 5 more ;)) and you can enjoy them right away.

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

They’re dense, chewy, fudgy and perfectly sweet.  As much of a treat a traditional brownie is, I have to say I’d much rather have one of these, and I can enjoy a couple completely guilt free.  I’d even enjoy one of these with my breakfast, they’re that healthy.  Breakfast brownies, how does that sound? Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

Raw Vegan Coconut Brownies

1 Erin @ Texanerin Baking May 16, 2012 at 3:49 pm

They look fantastic! I’ve never had anything raw like that. I think I’ve tried a few raw goodies in the past and although I didn’t really dislike them, I wasn’t really a fan. These look good, though. :) I’ve bookmarked it for the summer when it’s too hot to put on the oven!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Peanut Butter Coconut Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats (can be gluten-free)

2 Pure2raw twins May 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

raw brownies for breakfast yes please!!! love making raw brownies too, so easy and so tasty!!
Pure2raw twins recently posted..quick protein muffin made in under 2 minutes

3 Jeralyn May 16, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I just made these, I wanted to eat the whole batch! They are so delicious! I made mine into balls for a quick snack ;) Thanks!
Jeralyn recently posted..Wednesday Fit Recipe

4 Eat good 4 life May 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I made a very similar version using prunes, they were fantastic, and super healthy as well. Yours look really good with the cocoa powder on top. By the way how are you doing with the new baby??
Eat good 4 life recently posted..Fresh Strawberry cake

5 Tracie Smith October 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I don’t have any dates but I do have prunes so I was just thinking of doing the same thing. Did you do anything different or just follow the recipe exactly with that substitution? Thanks!

6 Eat Good 4 Life October 30, 2012 at 6:16 am

This is the recipe I made but I am sure you can follow this one and just use prunes :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Apple and caramel coffee cake

7 Kathryn May 17, 2012 at 4:02 am

I’ve never had a raw brownie but this post has convinced me, they look like they have such a great texture and lots of flavour.
Kathryn recently posted..chocolate chip spelt biscotti

8 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen May 17, 2012 at 5:49 am

I love raw brownies, they are so quick to make and full of good for you ingredients.
Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen recently posted..Pea and Herbed Goat Cheese Tart | Spring on a Plate

9 Joanne May 17, 2012 at 7:55 am

These remind me of larabars which basically means they’re perfect in every way!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Baked Macaroni with Tomato Sauce and Goat Cheese {eat.live.be}

10 Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes May 17, 2012 at 9:21 am

aahhh, this recipe looks to die for! I love raw things like this! I have to try this out!
Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Sweet Raspberry Biscuits with Vanilla Glaze

11 JaanL May 17, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oh, THANK YOU! Can’t wait to make these tomorrow. And the best part I don’t have to use the oven, with temps hitting the 115deg F outside, really want to heat up the inside.

12 chinmayie @ love food eat May 17, 2012 at 10:42 am

I think it’s better for me to stay away from these healthy brownies… If I ever make them there will be no stopping me!
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Creamy Spinach Dip (Heathly & Vegan with a secret ingredient!)

13 Heather May 17, 2012 at 12:45 pm

So amazing – breakfast brownies, yes I think I will help myself to one of these, thank you very much :)
Heather recently posted..spring greens petite vegan quiche

14 Sonia! The Healthy Foodie May 17, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Wow… if YOU of all people have time to make brownies, then I guess it’s true, they must come together in no time. And you make them look sooooo delicious too with your mouth watering pictures! I just have to give that a try.

Up on my must try list they go!

15 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} May 18, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’ve made a while back no bake brownie bars (don’t know for sure if they’re raw) but they were so good!

Going to try your version as well! Love coconut-choco combo!
Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} recently posted..Orange Cranberry Bread

16 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

These look amazing, Heidi, and they’re so wholesome! Wonderful, creative recipe.

17 myfudo May 18, 2012 at 11:29 pm

No bake? I like that! This is something I need to try. Love a recipe I can count on in times of quick need ;)
myfudo recently posted..fudo finds: calbee saya snow pea crisps

18 margaret May 19, 2012 at 12:29 am

Nice looking brownies!!
margaret recently posted..Raw Strawberry Cheesecake

19 Michelle@Peachy Palate May 19, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Making these first thing in the morning!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Feeling my spices

20 Jane May 20, 2012 at 7:52 am

I have never had a raw brownie, but you have convinced me! They look so good and easy!
Jane recently posted..Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole

21 lauren @ the talking kitchen May 22, 2012 at 10:05 pm

brownies… love all the ingredients and the idea! thanks!

22 Tessa August 12, 2012 at 5:23 pm

DELICIOUS

23 Angela September 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

anyone know of a nut subsitute as we have allergies in our house but these sound fabulous!

24 Cake Girl December 26, 2012 at 5:36 pm

These look great! Super healthy. Thanks for sharing. I must try this soon.

25 Tinker February 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

I love brownies with a medjool date base but just how big is your package of dates? I usually buy mine in bulk or sometimes in boxes or bags and so I really don’t know how many dates to add to the recipe. Have you ever measured them out?
Thanks!

26 Gemma February 24, 2013 at 12:55 am

OMG these are amazing!! Made a batch in 5 minutes yesterday & it is taking all my will power not to gobble them down in one sitting.

27 christina April 11, 2013 at 6:14 pm

These are the best tasting brownies!! I would pick these over a real brownie any day! Thank you for sharing!

28 Dustin April 25, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’m always skeptical about the flavor of things like this. These are unbelievable! I have a sweet tooth big time. These will no doubt help me get over that as I train for my marathon. Thanks!

29 Marisa May 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Mine weren’t sticking together but my almonds were a little older so maybe that is why. Any tips?

30 Anonymous July 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Try adding honey. That will help.

31 Memoria June 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I totally utterly cannot believe how good and healthy these brownies are!! They are so good that I really believe I will no longer feel tempted to make the fattening version with butter, sugar, eggs, flour, chocolate, etc.

I didn’t follow the directions correctly and threw everything in the food processor all at once, and they still came out perfectly (next time I will do it right haha). I added another 1/4 cup of shredded coconut, some cacao nibs, 1/4 tsp espresso, about 1 Tbsp honey (used fewer dates since they are so expensive), and 1 tsp of coconut oil for extra flavor. Thank you so much for this recipe! I will try out your other desserts after I’m done with these brownies and have a hankering for something sweet.

32 Mary @ Fit and Fed July 6, 2013 at 9:18 am

I love this kind of Larabar-type thing, not so much as a dessert but to carry around as a snack to have after a workout (skating, in my case) or to bring along on a hike. Your recipe looks particularly simple, and would also be good as energy balls.
Mary @ Fit and Fed recently posted..Raw Vegan Apricot Mango Crumble

33 Charaki July 30, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Love these brownies!!!! Where do you get your dates? Our health food store has them 3-4th a pound for 5.25 and we can’t afford that.

34 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 2, 2013 at 10:52 am

I’m so glad you like them!

I get my dates at the grocery store and they are $9 for 2 lbs when they aren’t on sale. I try to only buy them when they come on sale but you could also check bulk bins to see if they might be cheaper.

35 Rocky September 20, 2013 at 11:17 am

What size loaf pan did you use? These look divine :)

36 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 21, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I believe it was just a standard 9×5 loaf pan, but any size will work, or if you don’t have one simply put the mixture between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper and press with your hands to the size and shape you want and then slice with a knife into little “brownies” :)

37 Millie September 21, 2013 at 12:19 pm

This looks so good, I’m atonal lover of coconut so this suits me perfectly!
I can imagine taking it to school as a delicious snack!
If you have a moment, do you mind checking out my blog please? Thanks :)

38 Millie September 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm

*a total
Millie recently posted..Gyoza

39 Thlay September 25, 2013 at 10:24 am

Mine were really dry for some reason, so I added some coconut oil and they are awesome. :)

40 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 26, 2013 at 10:36 am

Good save! Glad you liked them! Some dates are drier than others so maybe that was why they were a little dry. Coconut oil is an excellent solution :)