Quick and Easy DIY Heart Cookie Cutter

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on February 14, 2014

Quick and Easy DIY Heart Cookie Cutter

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to share this little trick with you.  I had a friend post this idea on Facebook and I thought it was such a smart idea I just had to try it out and share!  I don’t have a recipe for you today, just this very simple DIY heart cookie cutter.  It’s easily made out of an empty can and I have to say, it works really well!

If you’re in need of a heart shaped cookie cutter today or any day of the year give this a try!  And it’s such an easy to make project I’ll hope you’ll save the idea for later on Pinterest or share the idea with your friends on Facebook or Twitter :)  It seems like all my heart shaped cookie cutters either get lost or crushed so I wish I would have had this idea years ago!

Quick and Easy DIY Heart Cookie Cutter

•  To start simply cut into an empty pop can about 2-2.5″ from the bottom being careful not to crush the can too much.  I’m not sure if a thicker can would work, but you can give it a try, although it may be too hard to bend.
  • Once cut in half trim the edge so there are no sharp pieces sticking out(I find cutting counter clockwise works better, at least with right handed scissors).
  • Once the edge is all smooth and as flat as possible, pinch one side of the can so that a point forms on the outside.  On the other side of the can pinch the can on the inside so that a point forms on the inside.

And done!

I used a butter knife to help me make the creases.  I find that the shape is best when the crease is about an inch long so make sure you don’t cut your can too short!  I also find the hearts are the cutest when the hearts aren’t “perfect” and the creases aren’t perfectly on either side of the can, but you can experiment and see what you like best.  I really cannot wait to try making these out of those little cans that are about half the size in diameter for little mini hearts, how cute will they be?

I used this homemade chocolate fig larabar dough(please excuse the old pictures, this is one of the oldest recipes on my blog!) for a healthy heart shaped treat!  This cookie cutter is sturdy enough to handle larabar dough, so it will handle any sugar cookie dough or pie crust if you want.  I have a whole section devoted to my homemade larabars on my new Visual Recipe Index that I’m so so so proud of.  I did my recipe index all by myself and I haven’t had a chance to talk about it much except a little mention on Facebook.  Please go take a look, it’s so much easier to browse through all the recipes on Food Doodles now, I’m so happy with it Quick and Easy DIY Heart Cookie Cutter

I also love that this cookie cutter safe for little hands and fingers to use once the cookie cutter is made, just please watch that your little ones aren’t running their fingers along the edge as it’s possible they could get cut from it.  But other than that, the bottom of the can makes the perfect thing for little hands to press down on and the can is flexible enough to easily remove the dough from it once it’s been cut.  Hope this idea helps you out!  Happy Valentines Day!

**Oh and I just remembered!  I must have a thing for making my own cookie cutters, because here one I made for homemade goldfish crackers!

Quick and Easy DIY Heart Cookie Cutter

1 Megan February 14, 2014 at 3:08 pm

What a great idea! Gonna have to (carefully) try this!
Megan recently posted..New Year’s Resolutions – Week 6 Update

2 Julia February 14, 2014 at 9:19 pm

This is brilliant! I can never seem to keep track of my cookie cutters. Now I can easily make one. Thank you!
Julia recently posted..Roses in the Snow Crepe Rolls

3 Erin @ Texanerin Baking February 15, 2014 at 8:33 am

This is cute! And clever.

And hehe. Your heart cutters get lost or crushed? That’s so sad! Only the heart-shaped ones?
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies (whole grain, dairy-free)

4 cindy near fruita, co February 18, 2014 at 6:27 am

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing all of your cooking suggestions. Great photos, easy to read, and sweet family stories.

5 Danielle @ theCHARMITspot March 11, 2014 at 11:14 am

This is such a cute idea! I love what you did here! Also, sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing
Danielle @ theCHARMITspot recently posted..BFF DIY Phone Covers

6 Clara Facts March 20, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Very clever idea! I am thinking that if you hot glued a piece of wire around the outside or ribbon it may hold its shape better. Will try it out and check in!
Clara Facts recently posted..Why Are There Countries That Drive On The Left?

7 Lucy May 11, 2014 at 7:36 am

Thanks for the idea. I have often wondered – how can I make my own cookie cutters? Space is limited and I don’t really have room for a whole drawer of them. I’m a clutz though, so I will have to wear garden gloves or something so I don’t cut my hands.

8 yammireceitas May 28, 2014 at 5:03 am

What can i say. Amazing trick, amazing woman and mom. Inspiring Blog. From know on you got a new daily follower. Fell free to critic my job! Kisses Carla.

9 yammireceitas May 28, 2014 at 5:04 am

What can i say. Amazing trick, amazing woman and mom. Inspiring Blog. Fell free to critic my job! Kisses Carla.
yammireceitas recently posted..Comentário em Muffins de chocolate e baunilha por Maria João

10 Reluctant Shopper July 16, 2014 at 2:25 am

Love this tutorial! Very simple and useful! Thanks for sharing :D

11 Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes August 7, 2014 at 3:49 pm

This idea is genius! I love your goldfish ones too! You really can’t have enough heart shaped cookie cutters. :)
Annie @ Natural Sweet Recipes recently posted..Raw Raspberry Tarts