These are the best chewy chocolate cookies with a perfect crackly top that stay soft and chewy for at least a week, made completely with whole wheat flour, but you’d never guess because they’re that good!
I couldn’t resist! I have one more amazing cookie recipe to share with you before Christmas. I absolutely love a good, chewy chocolate cookie with a crackly top. Don’t they look so pretty? I just love them, and of course I couldn’t help but decorate them with just a little white chocolate and some candy cane piece sprinkles. Yum!
So I was going to call these cookies “crinkle” cookies, but when I googled that I was reminded that that’s a completely different cookie. Another delicious cookie that I’ll have to make whole grain some time, but not this year 🙂 Can you believe 2015 is almost over? I know it gets said at the end of every year, but I can hardly believe it. I’m so excited for 2016!
Back to these cookies! Look at these amazing crackly tops! And you better believe they’re really chocolaty with a whole 3/4s of a cup of cocoa powder in a batch. Yummy! And let me tell you, they are chewy and stay soft for so long. I just love these cookies! I couldn’t stop taking pictures of them!
That being said, this will be my last recipe for a little while, I’m going to take some time to unplug with my family 🙂 I’m not sure if I’ll be back before New Years with another recipe, but in case I’m not I just want to say how grateful I am for your support, and I’m so looking forward to 2016 and what it brings for Food Doodles 🙂
- 2½ C (312g) white whole wheat flour(or whole wheat pastry flour)
- ¾ C (86g) cocoa powder
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¼ C salted butter
- 1¾ C sugar, plus more for rolling
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- White chocolate and crushed candy canes for decorating if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet or two with parchment paper or a non-stick liner. Set aside.
- In a bowl stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of your mixer or in a medium sized bowl with a hand mixer beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat till combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat just until combined and no flour remains.
- Scoop 1" balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar. Place on the prepared baking sheets, 2" apart. Place in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes until puffed up and crackly on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy as-is or decorate with a little white chocolate and crushed candy cane sprinkles.