Perfectly chewy and soft whole wheat gingersnaps made with whole grain flour. Sweet and just a little bit spicy – these will be your go-to gingersnap recipe! Dress them up with a little dip in white chocolate and a sprinkle of candied ginger!
So I guess it’s cookie week here on Food Doodles, and what better recipe to share than a seriously perfect gingersnap. Whole grain of course 🙂 Not even joking, I love these SO much! I can’t even keep my own hand out of the cookie jar. I have a very spicy triple ginger molasses cookie which I absolutely love, but not all the time. Sometimes you just need a lightly spiced, sweet ginger cookie and this is it!
So you’ll notice I couldn’t help dressing these cookies up as well. I’m in love with how just a little dip in chocolate can make a cookie look so much better. I dipped these in white chocolate and sprinkled with some candied ginger, and they are so perfect like that! They’re amazing to wrap up for a gift, or to take to a cookie exchange. The spicy ginger and the sweet white chocolate is just amazing together and they look so pretty too!
That being said, the extra decorating is not necessary, these are so good on their own. For just putting in a cookie tin, these are the best just as they are, without dipping them in chocolate. Even my three year old is in love with these 🙂 We already have a variety of cookies and the gingersnaps always win :). They’re soft and chewy, and if you want more of a ginger bite you can stir some candied ginger into the dough as well. I didn’t this time but I will be doing that next time 🙂 So yummy!
So which would you prefer? White chocolate dipped or plain? 🙂
Chewy 100% Whole Wheat Gingersnaps
- 3/4 cup softened salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups (343g) white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of your mixer beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy. Beat in the molasses, egg and vanilla until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and beat just until combined.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough at a time and roll into a ball in the granulated sugar. Place dough balls on the baking sheet 2" apart. Place in the oven 1 baking sheet at a time and bake 8-10 minutes until puffed, cracked on top and just turning golden around the edges. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet before placing on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container up to a week or in the freezer even longer.