This easy chicken apple sausage is super easy, doesn’t have any unusual ingredients and has a delicious apple and sage flavor!
I had never had chicken apple sausage before making this so I’m not sure how it compares to store-bought. I can tell you that it’s super delicious, though! I was actually surprised at how tasty it was.
I thought chicken + apple would be strange but the little tart bursts of apple flavor were perfect. You could also use a sweet apple if you prefer.
And it’s super simple. You don’t need any unusual ingredients for this. Just ground chicken, apple, onion, rubbed sage and ground pepper.
This chicken apple sausage is best enjoyed fresh but I think that’s true of pretty much all chicken dishes. Especially ground chicken recipes!
Usually, I like to double the batch, cook some, and then roll the rest into balls, freeze and take out what I need (to thaw in the fridge) the night before.
We don’t have ground chicken in Germany so I took some boneless, skinless chicken breast and made my own in a food processor. It also worked in a high-speed blender, using the smaller jar that’s meant for making nut butters (but it resulted in chicken that was more paste-like than I wanted!).
You just have to pulse it until it’s the consistency that you want. Some people like to freeze the chicken breast first, which prevents the chicken from becoming overworked and paste-like (see how to grind meat in a food processor).
Questions about this chicken apple sausage?
- Can I use another type of meat?
Ground turkey would be great! Pork, too, probably. I’m thinking beef would be odd.
- What kind of apple should I use?
I’ve been using whatever not-too-sweet apples I’ve had sitting around. I like to use tart ones just because I don’t like my meat dishes to be sweet.
- Can I bake these?
I’m guessing so but when I tried it, the result was some tough chicken. It could just be that I overbaked them but still, I think pan-frying them is best.
- Can I use fresh sage?
I haven’t tried it but the rule is to use 3x the amount when using fresh versus dried. So you’d need 2 tablespoons of fresh sage.
This chicken apple sausage would go great with something carby for breakfast, like these whole grain banana muffins or whole wheat waffles.
For another great pork recipe, check out these Baked Pork Chops!
If you try it out, I’d love to hear what you think!
Chicken Apple Sausage
- 1 small onion, diced (120 grams or 2/3 cup)
- 1 medium peeled apple, cut into 1/4" chunks (120 grams or 1 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil (I used olive)
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (I used 1 teaspoon as I like things salty)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound (450 grams) ground chicken breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- In a large non-stick pan over medium heat, cook the onion, while stirring often, until it lightly starts to brown (about 3 minutes). Add the apples to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes or until they've softened.
- Transfer this mix to a large bowl.
- Once it's cooled a bit, add the sage, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined and then mix in the chicken.
- Use a paper towel to wipe out any leftover onion / apple bits in the pan. Add additional oil, if needed (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons). Turn on the heat to medium and divide the mixture into 12 balls so that you can form about 2 1/2" patties.
- Cook the patties about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through (no pink) and the patties have browned.
- Best enjoyed still warm.
Comments & Reviews
I love that these can be made ahead and frozen! This is a great way to have breakfast ready to go – and also a perfect way to use up some freshly picked apples!
Cheryl Malik says
This is such a great recipe. I am so excited to have this breakfast!
jennifer fisher says
the flavors in this sound so amazing! Thanks for sharing, I’m putting on the menu for some company that’s coming into town soon!
Megan Stevens says
Love the sage in this recipe, and the apples make this savory meal so much more special (and sweet)! Thanks for a great breakfast recipe!
I love all these flavors together! Plus it’s so easy to make this there’s no reason not to!
Raia Todd says
This looks so delicious! I love chicken apple combo!
Love that you’ve shown us how to make delicious chicken apple sausage! Better than store bought!