These spelt banana muffins make the perfect snack or healthy breakfast for kids or adults. They can also be made with whole wheat flour. You can choose to make these slightly healthier with less sugar and a sprinkling of oats on top, or make them into more of a sweet treat with a little extra sugar and chocolate chips.
These spelt banana muffins was one of those recipes that came about because I had bananas that needed using. You know those right? 🙂
I didn’t think I’d end up posting the recipe, but we ate these in record time especially since the hubby doesn’t like bananas baked into anything so I decided they were worth sharing. I continue to make these over and over again.
Even 6 years after I originally posted this spelt banana muffins recipe, I still make these muffins on a regular basis (and my kids are always excited to see that I’ve made a batch!) so that should tell you how good these are. This is definitely my go-to recipe to use up bananas.
These spelt muffins are nutritious while still being super yummy. They’re barely sweet with just 4 tbsp of maple syrup (or your favorite liquid sweetener, honey is good too) and full of whole grains and fruit so they’re great for breakfast or a healthy snack.
I tend to add a little extra brown sugar sometimes for a sweeter treat, but that’s completely optional as written in the recipe. To keep them a little healthier I usually don’t mix chocolate chips in (although you absolutely can), I just sprinkle some on top.
Give these spelt banana muffins a try and make it your own! Extra sugar or not, chocolate chips or not, it’s totally up to you! If you have any other delicious ideas, please let me know in the comments section below, I’d love to hear from you!
I hope you enjoy these whole grain muffins as much as we do!
If you need something gluten-free and grain-free, try these paleo banana muffins!
Spelt Banana Muffins
- 240 grams (1 3/4 cups) whole spelt flour (or you can use white whole wheat, or whole grain soft white wheat)
- 75 grams (3/4 cup) old fashioned rolled oats plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts or chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the spelt flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the maple syrup, melted butter, eggs, banana and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir together just until combined. Fold in your choice of addins like walnuts or chocolate chips, if desired and divide among the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle with a pinch of oats or extra chocolate chips if desired and place in the oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before storing.