These cream cheese quesadillas are quick and easy to make – a fantastic last-minute meal for busy nights! Can be made gluten-free with gluten-free tortillas.
I just realized I haven’t posted a non-air fryer or non-Instant Pot recipe this year. What can I say… I got carried away with my new toys. 😂
So here we have something that’s easily made on the stove! It can also be made on the grill. There’s more on that below.
Super simple last-minute meal
These cream cheese quesadillas are a favorite of ours. You take some leftover shredded chicken, add some lime juice, and spices (chili powder, onion powder, cumin and garlic powder) and cheese.
Lots of cheese! Cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Which is the same combination as in my Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip.
If you don’t like or can’t have cheese, then this recipe isn’t for you. If you need a cheese alternative, these Vegan Quesadillas with cashew cheese look really great!
You put the cheese and chicken mixture between some tortillas, cook both sides, and they’re ready to go. It’s a great last-minute dinner or lunch recipe!
Easy to prepare ahead of time
You can make the cheese + chicken mixture ahead of time and just pull it out of the fridge when you need it. I wouldn’t keep it any longer than 3 days.
Even longer would probably work, but I’m saying 3 days to be on the safe side.
I haven’t tried freezing the cheese + chicken mixture, but I think it’d actually freeze okay. You normally don’t want to freeze cream cheese because it changes the texture, but since it’s being melted for these quesadillas, I’m assuming it wouldn’t be problematic.
These cream cheese quesadillas can also be made on the grill! Cook them directly on the grates over high heat for about 2 minutes or until the bottoms start to brown.
Keep a close eye on them! There’s nothing sadder than burned quesadillas. Or any food really.
I don’t think I’d fire up the grill just for these, but if it’s on anyway, I’d definitely throw these on. That and some tortilla pizzas!
I personally prefer flour tortillas. These Vegan Tortillas are my absolute favorites, and they don’t use any odd ingredients! They simply use oil instead of lard.
If you like corn tortillas, I’ve got this great recipe for Homemade Corn Tortillas that might interest you!
And of course, to make this recipe gluten-free or grain-free, use gluten-free or grain-free tortillas. I’ve been making homemade tortillas for about 12 years now and have yet to find the perfect gluten-free tortilla!
But I haven’t given up. If you have any tips, I’d love to hear them.
I hope you’ll enjoy these quesadillas!
If you make this or any of my recipes, I’d love to see pictures of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #fooddoodlesrecipes so I can check them out. 🙂
Cream Cheese Quesadillas - Creamy and Easy!
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 4 ounces (110 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup (125 grams) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 small flour tortillas (use GF, if needed)
- Mix everything together, except the tortillas, in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Over medium heat, heat a non-stick frying pan or cast iron pan that's slightly larger than your tortillas.
- While the pan is heating up, spread the chicken mixture over four of the tortillas. Place the remaining four tortillas on top of the filling.
- One by one, cook the quesadillas until the bottom or the tortilla is browned in several spots and the filling is halfway melted. Flip over, and brown the other side of the tortilla.
- Cut into four pieces and serve hot. If these cool too quickly, you can reheat them in the microwave at half power for 10-15 seconds or until warm.
- Should be enjoyed immediately. Reheated quesadillas aren't the best.