This spelt banana bread is easy, delicious, moist and a healthy bread recipe that’s sure to please! It’s also naturally sweetened and dairy-free.
Apparently a lot of people are baking banana bread right now while being holed up inside. I have no idea why! People panicked and bought too many bananas and need to use them up now?
Whatever the reason, it’s cool with me because I just happened to have this spelt banana bread recipe to share!
I love baking with spelt. It’s certainly harder to find than whole wheat, which is annoying, but it’s worth seeking out.
It tastes less wheaty than whole wheat and has several health benefits.
Spelt isn’t always interchangeable with whole wheat but in this recipe you can use whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour in place of the spelt flour.
Unfortunately, I haven’t tried a gluten-free version of this recipe BUT I do have a gluten-free banana bread coming to my other blog this week!
I hope you’ll enjoy this spelt banana bread if you try it! If you need a sugar-free version, try this sugar-free banana bread (t’s made with whole wheat).
Spelt Banana Bread (naturally dairy-free)
- 2 cups (250 grams) whole grain spelt flour, whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) maple syrup or 1/4 cup (80 grams) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) oil (olive oil, canola, grapeseed, or anything neutral)
- 2 large (50 grams each, out of shell) eggs
- 2 cups (600 grams) mashed bananas (about 4-5 medium but please weigh them)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (55 grams) chopped walnuts or (65 grams) chocolate chips (or a mix of both - optional)
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar for sprinkling over top optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 9"x5" loaf pan by spraying with oil, non-stick spray or a piece of parchment paper. and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, combine the well-mashed bananas with the maple syrup/honey, oil, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and mix quickly, adding the nuts or chocolate chips in the last moment of mixing.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and sprinkle with coarse sugar over top, if desired.
- Place in the oven and bake 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and let the loaf cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning it out and cooling on a cooling rack completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.