When I was a kid I thought this was so fancy. An upside down cake, made with my favorite kind of plums. And I could make it all by myself! Mind you, the cake part always came from a box so all I had to do was cut the plums, mix some butter with some sugar and spices and whip up a box of cake mix. This one isn’t quite so simple, but for a homemade cake it’s still very simple. And incredibly delicious 🙂
Speaking of my favorite plums… it seems like everyone else avoids these little blue plums like the plague. While our trees produce far more than we could possibly use and give away I still look forward to them every year. Plus they make the best dried plums! Not at all like traditional “prunes”. I freeze them for smoothies and desserts like this cake and crisps too. And we all love just eating them as is too 🙂 Have you tried Italian blue plums? Do you like them as much as me? Or what’s your other favorite kind of plum?
Now that we’re used to our new schedule and all feeling better things should be fairly normal around here. I’m incredibly behind, my google reader has been 1000+ for days now, the comments that need moderating have been piling up and I still have about 100 lbs of tomatoes to can. So things may be a little slower than normal, but expect to see me more frequently now 🙂
Spiced Plum Upside Down Cake
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- pinch cloves
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or sucanat/palm sugar
- approximately 12 italian blue plums or enough to fill the bottom of the pan halved, pit removed
- 1 1/2 C whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 C brown sugar or sucanat or palm sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 C dairy or unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and stir in the sugar and spices until combined. The mixture should be crumbly. Spread out as evenly as possible in the bottom of an 8x8 square baking dish. Place the plums, cut side down as tightly as possible on the sugar mixture and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix thoroughly and set aside. In a larger bowl, stir together the oil, vanilla, and sugar. Stir until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir until fully incorporated. Add the milk, and again, mix well. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until completely combined. Pour the cake batter over the plums in the 8x8 baking dish. Wiggle the pan to remove any air bubbles and then place in the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden to dark brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool at least 20 minutes before serving.