Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 30, 2012

Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

This was one of those recipes that came about because I had bananas that needed using.  You know those right? :)  I didn’t think I’d end up posting the recipe, but we ate these in record time especially since the hubby doesn’t like bananas baked into anything so I decided they were worth sharing.

Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

I’m afraid I don’t have much to say about these so I’ll let the rest of the pictures do the talking.  They’re nutritious while still being super yummy.  They’re barely sweet with just 4 tbsp of maple syrup and full of whole grains and fruit so they’re great for breakfast or a healthy snack.  I hope you enjoy them!

Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

Spelt and Oat Banana Muffins

Have a great weekend!

1 Ari @ Ari's Menu August 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm

These look so gooey and delicious! I love baking with banana and I actually get excited when I see mine starting to look a little questionable for regular eating, haha.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Loaded Butternut Mac & Cheese

2 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 31, 2012 at 7:57 am

Oh yummy! I love the flavor combination but they the thing that looks so irresistible is how moist they look! I haven’t eaten breakfast now and now I just want those muffins!! Have a great weekend to you!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Mexican Quinoa Salad

3 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 31, 2012 at 7:59 am

I need to make some healthy muffins like this to have for breakfast! I wonder if I could use teff flour instead of spelt? I have a big bag of it from a failed injera attempt and no idea what to do with it!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week + Garlic Soy Green Beans Recipe

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I really have no idea… I have no experience with teff flour, but I do know it’s gluten free so you wouldn’t be able to use all teff. Let me know if you do try it – I think I have some teff hiding in my cupboard too that I should use up too!

5 Heather August 31, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love baking with spelt & oatmeal – your muffins look so moist!
Heather recently posted..the chocolate trifle – guest post from vegan fling!

6 Kathryn August 31, 2012 at 11:44 am

These muffins look great, love that you use spelt and oats!
Kathryn recently posted..tomato and ricotta pasta

7 Eat Good 4 Life August 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

These are perfect for breakfast and on the go. I love the ingredient list. I need to go in the kitchen and bake me a few :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Revised no bake key lime pie – gluten free

8 Jen@TheFitHousewife September 1, 2012 at 8:48 am

These would be great to send to school! Thanks :)
Jen@TheFitHousewife recently posted..Whole Grain Blueberry Pie

9 Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition September 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I just came across your blog and love it! Can’t wait to make these muffins:)
Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition recently posted..Gnu Bar in Town (Product Review!)

10 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 5, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Oh wow. So little sweetener! That’s great. :) I guess the banana helps out a lot with that. They do look fantastic!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..1st Blogiversary + Grain-free Coconut Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Balls

11 M September 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

I have made these twice now and they are to die for! So yummy and healthy…chock full of whole grain and very little sugar. I feel good about giving them to my toddlers too!

12 Gosia September 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Oh My, these indeed look super healthy. I agree with you Heidi, the spelt gives the baked goods a real robust flavour. I’m sure the oats and bananas only further enhance it. Thanks for the recipe… I’m amazed you create your own.
Gosia recently posted..Comment on It’s the Weekend At Last! by Gosia Maj

13 Mel October 8, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I googled spelt banana muffins and your recipe was the first to pop up. I am not a very good baker, and these turned out as beautiful as your pictures, and were very moist and very delicious!! This recipe is a keeper!! Thanks!

14 Lisa December 3, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I found this recipe by chance after my kids and I decided to try a sugar-free diet for 2 weeks. The diet excludes wheat – so I was looking for a spelt/fruit-based treat. The muffins were a huge hit and I have gone on to make them 5 more times. It might be my oven, but I do need to cook them longer – 22 min is perfect. Thanks so much, I look forward to trying your other recipes.
Lisa recently posted..Bulk Helmet Hat Orders welcome

15 Émilie April 4, 2013 at 10:29 am

Just made them and they are so good! My mom and I just couldn’t wait so we ate one hot from the oven with a fork! Thank you for the awesome recipe :)

16 Jackie April 14, 2013 at 11:55 am

I am always experimenting with healthy recipes. These muffins are moist and delicious! I did substitute ‘flax eggs’ (1 tbsp flax+3 tbsp water) for each egg. I will definetly make these again!

17 Pam C May 12, 2013 at 11:45 am

Yum yum. I can’t believe how good these muffins are especially as they are so healthy. Thank you

18 Lynae May 25, 2013 at 6:33 am

Googled banana spelt muffins hoping for a bonus sugar free recipe, and I’m so glad yours was the first to pop up! As someone who always bakes healthy, I’d say this was one of the top muffin recipes I’ve made.

19 sandra June 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Hello Heidi, I made the spelt flour oat muffins and they were so scrumptious! thanks for the recipe. I’m excited about making other dishes from your website. :-) Your baby is precious!!!

20 Hanna August 25, 2013 at 6:35 am

I made these last week and there were fabulous! I put chocolate chips in them and my 14 year old had 3 in one day!! Thanks!

21 Tammy August 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

I made these muffins this morning (with the chocolate chips) and they were delicious! Thanks for the great recipe :o)

22 Ms Angel October 12, 2013 at 11:03 am

Just made these with my three year old. our bananas were not so ripe so it was not very sweet but the added raisins and a little honey worked wonders. came out deliciously soft and i feel happy giving her something that it healthy! thanks

23 Bec October 17, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for this delish recipe!! I love baking but of late have been looking for healthier baking treats.

I did sub coconut oil for butter, coconut oil is so easy to sub 1:1 and has so many good bits for you :) Also, I had no maple syrup on hand so just used the same amount in honey although next time will use maple as I love the flavour of maple in muffins and cakes.

Bec, Sydney, Australia

24 Squeaky April 8, 2014 at 11:25 am

This is almost exactly the same as my oatmeal-banana muffins that I have been making for years and years! I am glad to know that with some slight tweaking I can make them with spelt. I have recently made the switch to spelt for as much baking as possible, and will be so happy to send these to school for snack time than my old version! Also, I might indulge in one myself– I don’t generally eat grains but have decided to add some spelt to my diet. It’s just such a great food. The baking can have so much less sugar too, as spelt just seems to have a natural sweetness!

I find, when baking with banana, if I puree it with a hand blender until it’s super smooth, the resulting baking comes out much sweeter. So, less sweetener can be used.

Also, do you ever use spelt flakes instead of oats? I see they have them at my bulk place and was going to buy some.

Thanks!