by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 20, 2013

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

Now I realize I just shared a cheesecake treat with you recently, but I really couldn’t wait to share this one with you too.  When I was younger I remember having my moms no bake cheesecake.  I believe at one time it was the recipe on the package of a popular cream cheese, and included a can of sweetened condensed milk.  Needless to say it was incredibly rich.  And since it didn’t have gelatin in it, it didn’t have that Jello-like quality about it that some no bake cheesecakes sometimes do, which I don’t particularly like.

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

I’ve been wanting to try a slightly healthier take on that recipe from my childhood for ages now.  I was a little nervous that it would never set properly.  I was afraid you’d be able to tell it was a lower calorie treat.  I was sure it would never live up to the cheesecake I remembered.

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

I was wrong.No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

This cheesecake exceeded all my expectations!  It’s so rich you only need a small piece.  It’s perfectly sweet.  It’s so soft and lucious(not unnaturally firm).  And while it does have lemon juice in it, it is not a lemon cheesecake, it just adds the right tanginess to the end result and adds to the richness of it.  It is the perfect vehicle for so many fresh fruits.  So whatever you have available to you this summer, this cheesecake will go beautifully with it.  And I even took a picture after I sliced it to show you how it set up.  Perfectly!

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

Now, you’ll noticed that it’s on a piece of parchment paper.  I lined my dish with paper so that it would be easy to lift the cheesecake out for these pictures.  You can do the same if you want, but it’s not necessary.  The first piece may be difficult to get out but the rest will be just fine with an unlined dish.  I chose to use my 8×8 square baking dish but a pie plate would be just fine too(which is what I normally do).

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

So let’s talk nutrition information for just a second.  This is obviously not a low calorie treat, but it is considerably better than the original.  My changes shaved close to 700 calories off the entire recipe.  Now you’re definitely not going to eat an entire recipe, but off a small piece(1/12th of the entire recipe) you’re saving over 50 calories(70 calories off 1/9th which is a pretty large piece!), 3g of fat, 6g of sugar and you’re gaining a gram of protein.  I’d say that’s a pretty good improvement especially considering how amazing this tastes!

No Bake Greek Yogurt Cheesecake(Without Gelatin!)

Please give this a try sometime this summer, you will not regret it!  Enjoy!

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Yield: 9-12 servings
Ingredients

• For the Crust:
  • 1½ C graham cracker crumbs
  • ¼ C sucanat(or any other granulated sugar)
  • 6 tbsp salted butter, melted
    For the Cheesecake Filling:
  • 1 250g package full fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • ¼ C lemon juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ C mild flavored liquid honey
  • ¾ C Greek yogurt
  • pinch sea salt
    For Topping:
  • Fresh fruit such as blueberries, cherries, strawberries, etc
  • Your favorite pie filling(cherry, etc)
  • Chocolate Sauce
Instructions
  1. In a bowl stir together the crust ingredients until completely combined. Press firmly into the bottom of an 8x8 square baking dish or a pie plate. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
  2. To make the filling, place the room temperature cream cheese in a food processor along with the lemon juice, vanilla, honey and Greek yogurt. Process until completely combined and smooth. Alternatively you can use a hand or stand mixer, but be sure to beat the cream cheese first before adding all the other ingredients to avoid lumps.
  3. Pour the filling mixer into the prepared crust, smooth out, cover and place in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Once the cheesecake has set slice, top as desired and serve immediately.
Notes
Freshly squeezed or bottled lemon juice both work perfectly. Just be sure to strain any lemon pieces out of your freshly squeezed lemon juice for a perfectly smooth cheesecake. If your honey is solid just warm it gently until liquid again.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1/12th Calories: 236 Fat: 14g Carbohydrates: 24g Sugar: 17g Protein: 4g

1 Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today June 21, 2013 at 5:39 am

It looks so amazing and is no bake, just perfect.
Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today recently posted..Waffles with vanilla rhubarb strawberry sauce

2 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

These photos are beautiful and so is this cheesecake! My mom used to make a no-bake cheesecake with bananas and Nilla wafers and now I’m curious to see if I can figure out a way to make that one healthier too…
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week + A Cookbook Update

3 sally @ sallys baking addiction June 23, 2013 at 7:47 am

Heidi, this cheesecake looks amazing. SO, so so so good! I love the blueberries on top. Blueberries + cheesecake is such a wonderful combination. Your photos are beautiful!
sally @ sallys baking addiction recently posted..Oreo Truffles + 10 No-Bake Recipes!

4 Ari @ Ari's Menu June 23, 2013 at 8:20 am

Oh my goodness, this looks INCREDIBLE! First of all the pictures are stunning and razor sharp, and the ingredients sound absolutely perfect!

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

6 Eat Good 4 Life June 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I have never used gelatin. I hate it, instead I use agar powder which is the vegetarian form :-) a much better option. Loving your cheesecake combo!!
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Coconut cream cake

7 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm

I actually have some agar agar in my cupboard but I’ve never used it. The stuff I have is in these long strands and I have no idea if I can grind it up to make powder or what. Where do you get your powder from?

8 Eat Good 4 Life June 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I get it on amazon. Here is the link :-) http://amzn.to/14YgQlz
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..The best creamy avocado pasta ever and a giveaway!

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I was hoping you’d say Amazon! Ordering some!! Thank you! :D

10 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm

I don’t like gelatin or agar powder. I think the texture freaks me out. What does that mean for you? Well I’m 100% making this in my new mini cheesecake pans! Or not. I think it’d stick to the sides of the mold. Right?
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Grain-free / Gluten-free Strawberry Cupcakes

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 4, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Hmmm… I think it would stick. But how badly, I don’t know. What kind of mini cheesecake pan do you have? The one with the removable bottom that you can push up to remove the cheesecakes? If so, if you put a piece of plastic wrap under the removable piece and then up the sides and then fill them with the crust and then cheesecake topping and you could pull the whole thing out and then peel back the plastic wrap. I don’t know if that even makes sense to you… It’s just a thought! :)

12 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 9, 2013 at 8:45 am

I have the kind with the removable bottom. What you said makes sense but I’m wondering if it’d look pretty! And since I need pictures, maybe I’ll just make it as bars. :) I was going to make this today but then saw those raspberry lemonade bars on the front page and I just happened to buy 6 packages of half off raspberries last night. Which means it’s raspberry bonanza time! Whenever raspberries are on sale, I buy whatever is left at the store and make my raspberry recipes for the year. :D

Frozen raspberries just aren’t pretty as props. Nope.

13 laadam July 29, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Does this have to be a slice or will it keep its shape if it is in a deepish, round, springform cake tin?

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 2, 2013 at 10:46 am

I’m sure as long as it’s a similar sized tin it should work just fine :)

15 Michele August 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

Heidi,
Thanks for posting this up for all to see! I also loved the “no bake” cheesecake my mother used to make…but the sugary condensed milk sent me to the moon! I’ve similarly exchanged that for the Greek yogurt with delicious and satisfying results! Only thing is I’ve used 1/2 cup organic dehydrated cane juice (organic sugar) instead of the honey. I’ve read many for years now that honey should never be cooked, as it becomes toxic. That’s why you should only buy and use “raw” honey for any purpose. Here’s a link with the Ayurvedic perspective (from a well-known and respected Ayurvedic healer): http://www.care2.com/greenliving/14-healing-remedies-with-honey.html. Just thought you might like to know, since you’re a very careful and concerned mom!

16 Michele August 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Sorry! Yeah, it’s a “no-bake” cheesecake! My brain wasn’t completely screwed on that day! I was actually searching the web for a New York cheesecake recipe when this one came up and caught my eye…so I kind of mixed both recipes in my head. So, for no-bake, yes, honey is fine; the comment still stands as perhaps sanguine advice though, as far as cooking with honey is concerned. Sorry for the error!

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 11, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Yes, this one is a no-bake but I do occasionally use honey in my baking so thanks for your previous message Michele! :)

18 Michele August 11, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Welcome!

19 natalie September 3, 2013 at 5:59 am

Help! I made this today and after 6 hours in the fridge it’s still not setting.. It’s not runny but it definitely won’t hold if I take it out of the springform pan.. Any idea what went wrong/ how to fix it?? I doubled the recipe do you think that might be the culprit? Need this for my boyfriend’s birthday tomorrow :( I’m gonna give leave it in the fridge over night and see how it turns out tomorrow! If not I mightt freeze it and turn it into some sort of ice cream cake..
Sincerely,
Desperate :(

20 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Oh no, I’m sorry Natalie! I found it took quite a while to set like at least overnight so hopefully it turned out alright by the time you wanted to serve it. It’s possible it didn’t work because it was doubled(especially if the filling was much thicker it might not hold up). I hope it turned out OK, frozen or not!

21 Michele September 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Freeze it…or bake it? Maybe add some cornstarch first 1/4 or so (mix it in carefully)…best of luck!

22 graham October 7, 2013 at 2:26 am

hi, if i want to add gelatin to this recipe, how much should i add? If the weather is hot the topping melts, so i would like it to hold.\

23 Milena November 7, 2013 at 4:49 am

Gosh this looks good! I’m not a big fan of lemony sweets but it still looks so good I’m willing to try it! Just in case though, is the lemon juice just for flavor? I wonder if I could substitute it for something else :)

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Hi Milena! Actually there is very little lemon flavor, the lemon just makes this very rich tasting and gives it that cheesecake tanginess(it’s definitely not a lemon cheesecake), so I would not leave it out(or use anything else in it’s place). You’ll have to let me know if you give it a try! :)

25 Rachana November 25, 2013 at 9:29 pm

the cheesecake looks amazing…can’t wait to try!

26 Meredith December 30, 2013 at 8:15 pm

This looks delicious! :) Does the cream cheese have to be full fat?

27 Evon January 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Hi! I’ve been interested in this recipe for a long time and finally tried it out last week, but ran into some problems. First of all, the cream cheese layer doesn’t really set well, I had it in the fridge for around 48hrs before we finally took it out to try, the cream is still a little runny.

We left the rest of the cake in the fridge and after 2 days got a shock when wanting to eat again. The cake was soaked in liquid, seems like the honey has separated and ooze out. Wonder if you could advise if it was due to too much yogurt? too much/little whipping of the ingredients and also how long could we keep this cake before consuming it?

I must admit my yogurt wasn’t the freshest tub at the time…

Thanks!

28 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 7, 2014 at 9:26 am

Hi Evon! Thanks for leaving a message! The filling not setting could be due to too much yogurt, or yogurt that isn’t quick thick enough. Not all brands of Greek yogurt are the same, and some are thinner than others. I use a very thick Greek yogurt, so using a thinner yogurt could be the problem for that. If you give it another try, using less of the same yogurt may help. Unfortunately I’ve found that honey and yogurt do separate a bit, but again, I found that there is more when the yogurt isn’t as thick. Instead of using less yogurt, you could try trying to remove some moisture from your yogurt before using it by placing it in a strainer lined with cheesecloth to remove some of the liquid. Despite the liquid that separates from the filling you should be able to still enjoy the cheesecake for up to 5-7 days after you’ve made it. If there is a lot of liquid you can try draining it off or soaking it up with a paper towel, but I find it doesn’t bother anyone in my house, since it’s sweet from the honey.

29 Evon January 7, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I’ll try to change to another brand of yogurt the next round and also drain the liquid. :)