Well, I just could not let this season go by without making one more thing to slather my favorite frosting on. As you can probably guess by the number of pumpkin muffin recipes here on Food Doodles, I looooove pumpkin muffins, so I knew it was time to make a cake. I adapted this recipe from my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe, but I upped the sugar slightly and the pumpkin to make it just a little more moist and delicious!
Even though I love this cream cheese frosting, I have to say I think this cake would be SO delicious baked as a loaf then maybe covered with a glaze instead? Oh! Maybe a spiced glaze! I think that would also be super delicious with pecans sprinkled over top. I have to try that out soon! We have time for another pumpkin recipe this fall right? Or are we getting sick of pumpkin? I know I’m not 🙂
I was also thinking, this could be an excellent last minute dessert for tonight in place of pie, if you don’t have anything else planned yet 🙂 Enjoy!
- 1½ C (187g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp cloves
- ¾ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ C softened, salted butter
- 1 C coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C pumpkin puree
- Pecans to top, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep an 8x8 or 9x9 pan by lining with parchment paper or by lightly greasing the sides and bottom. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In your mixer beat the butter until soft and fluffy. Beat in the sugar until combined, and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Then add and mix in the vanilla and pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth out. Place in the oven and bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
- 3 oz cream cheese
- ¼ C plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2½ tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Keep in the refrigerator.