This whole wheat pumpkin cake is perfectly soft and fluffy, flavored with the best pumpkin spices and topped with my favorite lighter Greek yogurt cream cheese frosting!
Well, I just could not let this season go by without making one more thing to slather my favorite frosting on. As you can probably guess by the number of pumpkin recipes here on Food Doodles, I looooove pumpkin muffins (especially these healthy chocolate chip pumpkin muffins), so I knew it was time to make a cake.
I adapted this recipe from my favorite pumpkin muffin recipe, but I upped the sugar slightly and the pumpkin to make it just a little moister and more delicious!
Even though I love this cream cheese frosting, I have to say I think this cake would be SO delicious baked as a loaf then maybe covered with a glaze instead?
Oh! Maybe a spiced glaze! I do love my pumpkin desserts.
This whole wheat pumpkin cake, by the way, does not taste whole wheat! All the pumpkin spice covers it up. It tastes like a regular, delicious pumpkin cake.
Same goes for these vegan pumpkin muffins, which are whole wheat. Don’t let the vegan thing throw you off! They don’t have any unusual ingredients and they have an amazing texture.
I think that would also be super delicious with pecans sprinkled over top. I have to try that out soon! We have time for another pumpkin recipe this fall, right? Or are we getting sick of pumpkin? I know I’m not 🙂
I was also thinking, this whole wheat pumpkin cake could be an excellent last-minute dessert for tonight in place of pie, if you don’t have anything else planned yet 🙂
These crustless pumpki pie bars are also super quick and easy. Enjoy!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Cake with Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 1/2 cups (187g) white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Pecans to top if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep an 8x8 or 9x9 pan by lining with parchment paper or by lightly greasing the sides and bottom. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In your mixer beat the butter until soft and fluffy. Beat in the sugar until combined, and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined. Then add and mix in the vanilla and pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix just until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth out. Place in the oven and bake 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely before frosting.
Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Keep in the refrigerator.