These chocolate overnight oats are made the night before so that they’re ready as soon as you wake up. They even travel well so they make a perfect, delicious breakfast on the go! A great recipe for kids to make (mostly) on their own. Easy to make gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan.
If you’ve got kids at home, I’m guessing the last few weeks have been pretty challenging. I feel like there’s never any time for anything and making breakfast is one of those things.
If my kid were a little older, I would absolutely delegate breakfast preparation in the form of overnight oats to him. One less thing for me to worry about, plus the little guy could learn about food preparation. Win win!
If you have kids old enough to measure ingredients, you can let them make themselves these chocolate overnight oats.
Then the next morning, they’re all taken care of. Or at least partially. 😉 My kid is like me and requires a big breakfast.
I like a bit of protein with my breakfast, like these homemade breakfast sausages.
This recipe is naturally sweetened with maple syrup or coconut sugar, if you prefer.
It’s also easy to make vegan. Just use whatever vegan yogurt and milk you like.
If you’ve never made overnight oats before, it’s important to use quick oats and rolled or traditional oats. The latter don’t get soft enough (at least for me, anyway). For me, it’s like eating cardboard.
These chocolate overnight oats, like all overnight oats, have a not-so-pretty consistency so I covered it up with lots of fruit and nuts. It’s totally unnecessary and I never take the time in real life to do this, but it definitely made them more filling.
For some more sweet breakfast treats, check out my Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, Strawberry Green Smoothie or Granola Breakfast Tarts with Yogurt and Berries. This gluten-free breakfast casserole is also made overnight and looks great!
Chocolate Overnight Oats (gluten-free, vegan)
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 2/3 cup (61 grams) quick oats (make sure to use GF oats, if needed)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or coconut milk yogurt for vegan
- 2/3 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk for vegan more as needed
- 1/4 cup (29 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- about 1/2 cup (70 grams) strawberries or whatever fruit you like cut into small pieces
- Stir all ingredients, except for the strawberries, together. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Add extra milk as needed in the morning if you'd like less thick oats. Divide into two servings and stir in as many strawberries as you'd like and top with strawberries. Enjoy!
I usually serve this alongside some other source of protein like a couple hard boiled eggs. If this is all I'm going to have for breakfast I'd add a scoop of my favorite protein powder.