Crisp, fresh green beans, steamed until perfection and then topped with butter, lemon zest and sliced almonds. A perfect side dish ready in minutes!
So after the overload of sweets last week I thought it was time to share some healthy side dishes. So I’m here to share this delicious green bean dish! Of course it would be great for the holidays but it’s great any time! Everyone knows green beans and butter are best friends, but the lemon zest really brightens everything up and the almonds give it a little nutty, crunch. SO good!
You’ll also notice there are a couple recipes in the background that I’ll be sharing later in the week, I’m super excited about those too. I made a Honey Nut and Seed Sweet Potato Casserole, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pepitas and Honey Orange Glazed Carrots.
I’m so excited to share all these delicious and healthy sides this week so check back every day this week for a new one 🙂 And before I forget, the best way to make sure you never miss a recipe is to sign up for my newsletter. You’ll only get an email when I’ve posted a new recipe. You can sign up either at the top of the page or on the right hand side near the top.
So, back to this recipe. There are a few things you can do with this recipe. I just like my almonds plain, but if you toasted them it would make them even more tasty. And of course you can cook your green beans however you like.
This recipe was inspired by a Martha Stewart recipe where the green beans are boiled in salted water until tender, so if you prefer that, go ahead! I like to steam mine, and I steam them just until they’re bright green and are still crisp but if you prefer yours cooked more, feel free. Either way, the toppings will make your green beans amazing 🙂 So enjoy! And see you tomorrow with another delicious and healthy side!
For another great green beans recipe, check out these Oven Roasted Garlic, Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Beans!
Lemon Butter Green Beans with Almonds
- 1 lb fresh green beans ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Salt to taste
- Melt the butter and set aside. Zest the lemon and set aside.
- In a steamer pot or a pot with a steamer insert add the green beans and enough water to cover the bottom. Place the lid on the pot and place over high heat and bring water to a boil. Turn down to medium low and steam until the green beans are bright green and tender.
- Remove from the heat and place green beans in serving dish. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with lemon zest and almonds. Serve immediately.